Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Grocery Shopping for Downtown residents

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Grocery Shopping for Downtown residents

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 208 total)
  • Author

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Antonio wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    Apparently you didn’t read your own article did you?
    But there are several blocks around downtown, Gay Street for one, that do have businesses opened well into the night and on weekends. It ultimately falls back on the community to support these businesses and show the demand to justify the substantial risk a company takes on a venture. So what are you doing to put your money where your mouth is?

Of course I read it.
    The first words in the article…
    ” So he used the a Seattle Web site the gives a Walk Score based on proximity to grocery stores…”

I was talking more about the part where they discussed the flaws of walk scores, since the database won’t always reflect the reality of the area.

Again, you ignore the available options that do exist and instead use a broad brush that portrays downtown as some sort of isolated, island ghost town devoid of anything. Simply not the case.

You pretty much have 2 options when it comes to living in these types of areas/districts/neighborhoods: embrace what does exist, become part of the early adopters/first wave and put some energy behind shaping [w/ respect to the current residents and culture already in place] the neighborhood and encouraging the development. Or find a place that better matches what you want. And there are plenty of those options here.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

And:

[quote]Not quite sold on downtown, he also had trouble imagining a night life in West Seattle or Phinney Ridge. So he used a Seattle Web site that gives addresses a “Walk Score” based on proximity to grocery stores, [b]restaurants[/b], [b]movie theaters[/b], [b]hardware stores[/b], [b]parks[/b], [b]libraries[/b] and other amenities.[/quote]

anillo
    Participant

I’m fed up with the lack of 24 hour hardware stores downtown, we need a new mayor who knows what the people want!

Paul
    Participant

Lo2W has pretty much nailed it here.

Walkscore is a joke. It is outdated and lists things like Wassestrom as a grocery store.

Downtown Columbus is also a joke. You have to walk 3 miles round trip to go to a grocery store (newsflash for downtown amenity apologists: yes, this is indeed a joke compared to other cities). It’s the case that you have to either: move down there and put up with it for years (or decades), live elsewhere in Columbus, or move to a city that has walkable amenities.

You would be hard-pressed to come up with any other city that has a less walkable downtown than Columbus. If you want to move somewhere where it is feasible to walk from the center of the city to a grocery store, I can suggest anything from NYC to Seattle to Chillicothe, Utica, or even Newark, OH.

When I moved from Columbus to Bellingham, WA I was amazed at how little I needed to get in my car to do anything from going to the grocery store to visiting an eye doctor. It was really a breath of fresh air.

Antonio

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Antonio wrote >>
    http://yochicago.com/10895/10895/

Are you capable of actually making your own reasoned and intelligent responses? Or are you just good for a quick link with no actual commentary as to how it relates to your argument?

Go learn how business works in the real world, as well as urban development, and understand that downtown Columbus is a ways to having a viable grocery option and must rely on…GASP…at least 4-5 full scale grocery options within 5 miles.

Antonio

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

Antonio wrote >>

Are you capable of actually making your own reasoned and intelligent responses? Or are you just good for a quick link with no actual commentary as to how it relates to your argument?
    Go learn how business works in the real world, as well as urban development, and understand that downtown Columbus is a ways to having a viable grocery option and must rely on…GASP…at least 4-5 full scale grocery options within 5 miles.

Plenty of people want to walk five miles lugging groceries, sure they do.

Twixlen
    Participant

So now the imaginary people in your imaginary scenario aren’t even allowed to use the bus?

Harsh.

Paul
    Participant

Twixlen wrote >>
    So now the imaginary people in your imaginary scenario aren’t even allowed to use the bus?
    Harsh.

LOL @ living downtown and taking the bus to get groceries.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Twixlen wrote >>
    Harsh.

Well, in imaginationland there’s unicorn chariots, so no need for walking or buses!

Beware the woodland creatures, though.

Twixlen
    Participant

Paul wrote >>

Twixlen wrote >>
    Harsh.

LOL @ living downtown and taking the bus to get groceries.

LOL @ thinking Columbus has to have every single aspect of every single other metropolitan area in the country. Or, have the same exact set up as the third largest city in the U.S. Or have the same set up as a very small town.

I think it’s been said about 45 times in this thread – downtown could *certainly* use at least one decent bodega type grocery that’s located more in the city center.

I think it’s also pretty ignorant to make fun of the many, many folks in Columbus who do haul their groceries on the bus because it’s their only option (and they don’t live downtown). Downtown is hardly the food desert that some of the nearby neighborhoods are.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Antonio wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

Antonio wrote >>

Plenty of people want to walk five miles lugging groceries, sure they do.

Your arguments are getting pretty ridiculous. Options exist, provided you make the concessions. If you want to walk to a grocery, go live next to one. That’s the whole point of my argument: either understand the limits of the respective neighborhood and work around it (and of course to better the area) or simply go to a neighborhood that more closely matches your needs.

Your original question asked nothing about options within walking distance. You merely asked what options existed. As much as you would like to now revise your vision to only include those you can walk to, the fact is that downtown has plenty of options.

Twixlen
    Participant

rus wrote >>

Twixlen wrote >>
    Harsh.

Well, in imaginationland there’s unicorn chariots, so no need for walking or buses!
    Beware the woodland creatures, though.

Um, I seriously love woodland creatures. Except for Big Foot. And the woodland creatures by the Y are a little shifty.

GusParks

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    Do I need to walk you through a Google tutorial?
    There is a Giant Eagle 1.5 miles North and West-ish on Neil and another 1.5 miles South and East-ish on Whiter. Most grocery stores have a bubble of sorts to prevent overlapping with another store in their same chain. Plopping a Giant Eagle downtown runs the risk of cutting profits between all 3 stores, while raising the operating revenue. Take a look at how many stores Starbucks has closed in the last few years.
    At 18 minutes (according to your map) I am pretty sure the North Market, at 9 am Sunday, would meet your needs perfectly fine for the specified groceries.

I just have to be realistic on this one…Ugh. perhaps it’s just me but if i had to walk 18 minutes through downtown’s grey corridor to North Market every time i wanted something from the store i would shoot myself in the face. I’m thinking like 5 minutes. I don’t know about everyone else but i go to the store like 4 to 6 times a week. THAT is why no one is flocking to live downtown. That was the exact reason i sold my condo there…that and other related reasons.

No matter where you live whether it is gay street, discovery district, 60 Spring, North Bank, there is really nothing accesible within 5 minutes that is convenient for day to day living. When you think of downtown living the point is community and convenience. I would think that walk would get pretty old every time you needed milk, or bread, or a newspaper. Besides, big trips you are going to take you car anyway. Not sure i would want to carry 100 lbs of groceries 1.9 miles or whatever it is in the cold.

From the people i have talked to, the consensus seems to be that there is just simply not enough overall desire from most of your community to support bodegas, shops, and other basic services that would make downtown fun and an interesting place to live. People just assume to live in the suburbs. There are those that are championing for vibrant downtown of course, and are investing in the concept, but ultimately i think they might be fighting a losing battle.

rus
    rus
    Participant

GusParks wrote >>
    When you think of downtown living the point is community and convenience.

Those are good things, but why would they be specific to “downtown living”?

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 208 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.