Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Grocery Shopping for Downtown residents

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Grocery Shopping for Downtown residents

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 208 total)
  • Author

rustbelt
    Participant

[i]Should taxpayers shell out money to a corporation to locate a grocery store business Downtown because developers are too stubborn to do it on their own?[/i]

Not in my opinion. Speaking from experience, I think there’s plenty of large grocery shopping options in/just outside downtown.

Antonio

Walker wrote >>
    Should taxpayers shell out money to a corporation to locate a grocery store business Downtown because developers are too stubborn to do it on their own?

No they shouldn’t shell out money. Offer tax incentives…yes.

The grocery business has very little profit margins, tax incentives can make or break the decision at this point.

Paul
    Participant

This issue was discussed at length in this thread:

Downtowners: Who They Are and How They Live

I am not sure what all the new additions to downtown Columbus have been in the 2 years since that thread, as I moved on to a metropolis that has several full-service grocery stores within easy walking distance from downtown residential. Of course, I’m talking about Bellingham, WA (population 80,055).

I later moved to Vancouver, BC. Which has easily a half dozen grocery stores within a 10 minute walk from my downtown apartment.

But things like that are only for other cities. Not Columbus.

Columbus downtown residents should be content taking the bus to a different zip code to do their grocery shopping. Or else scavenge what they can from pharmacies, convenience stores, and daytime-only farmers markets.

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Paul wrote >>
    Columbus downtown residents should be content taking the bus to a different zip code to do their grocery shopping. Or else scavenge what they can from pharmacies, convenience stores, and daytime-only farmers markets.

Who’s advocating that? Or are you just intentionally being silly?

Paul
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

Paul wrote >>

Who’s advocating that? Or are you just intentionally being silly?

I don’t understand your question? … Are you serious? Reread this thread. Those are all taken directly from posts in this thread. …???

Paul
    Participant

I mean seriously. I feel like I’m in that scene in Zoolander:

GusParks

I lived downtown for about two years – and i’m not sure what railcars, bikes, and buses have to do with everything. I drove to VV Giant Eagle to get my groceries. Not the best store by any means well, because it is just kind of a dumpy store, but it worked for us. Occasionally i went to North Market but it was hard to get basics there sometimes. Sometimes i drove to BY Kroger. Downtown just needs another store. I seriously doubt that Columbus will ever be one of those cities where people walk and use pubic transport really. SF yes, Columbus no. As downtown is now, i’m not sure why anyone would live there without a car. I think it is delusional to pretend like Cbus is one of these walking friendly, hip, progressive cities with great public transport. I know personally, that about five months out of the year i am not walking or biking anywhere given the weather. I like being warm in my car.

GusParks

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Paul wrote >>
    I don’t understand your question? … Are you serious? Reread this thread. Those are all taken directly from posts in this thread. …???

Some have said (myself included) that riding the bus isn’t that hard of an alternative at this point in time.

I don’t think anyone (unless I’m reading someone wrong) is advocating that we should have to settle for this as being the only non-auto option.

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

GusParks wrote >>
    I seriously doubt that Columbus will ever be one of those cities where people walk and use pubic transport really.

Cities can change, though the change can take a long time. Once upon a time, we were a city full of public transit options.

GusParks wrote >>
    I think it is delusional to pretend like Cbus is one of these walking friendly, hip, progressive cities with great public transport.

I don’t think anyone is trying to pretend that the public transit system here is top notch. But our bus system is pretty adequate as is within certain parts of the city. Not that there couldn’t be improvements made.

GusParks

Walker wrote >>

GusParks wrote >>
    I seriously doubt that Columbus will ever be one of those cities where people walk and use pubic transport really.

Cities can change, though the change can take a long time. Once upon a time, we were a city full of public transit options.

GusParks wrote >>
    I think it is delusional to pretend like Cbus is one of these walking friendly, hip, progressive cities with great public transport.

I don’t think anyone is trying to pretend that the public transit system here is top notch. But our bus system is pretty adequate as is within certain parts of the city. Not that there couldn’t be improvements made.

Yes, I agree improvement needed and welcomed… but as far as the topic goes of Grocery Shopping Downtown i think most of us at this point will be driving to one of these grocery stores most likely. Arena District residents weather permitting, i could see walking or whatever to North Market for items, but only as much as you can carry. I thin another large store or several smaller ones would help facilitate DWTWN living as well as other standard conveniences such as dry cleaners, mini-marts etc…that are open later than 6.

I remember i went to see David Cross downtown once and he rambled off about how he was walking around DWTWN before the show and absolutely nothing was open. He couldn’t believe it. He basically did a whole impromptu bit about the sad state of downtown. He just wanted a cup of coffee i think.

Cbus needs another reason do be downtown – the Hockey Arena did wonders for a while but seems kind of stagnant now. Another big exciting attraction seems necessary now to get to that point of a vibrant, bustling, epicenter that people enjoy being near.

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I agree that there could be more to do Downtown. But that’s a whole other topic besides the issue of groceries that this thread is discussing.

On a related note though… most grocery stores have some sort of coffee to-go offering, so Mr. Cross would have been more likely to find a cup if we had better food shopping options. ;)

bldng4jstc
    Participant

GusParks wrote >>

Walker wrote >>

GusParks wrote >>

GusParks wrote >>

Cbus needs another reason do be downtown – the Hockey Arena did wonders for a while but seems kind of stagnant now. Another big exciting attraction seems necessary now to get to that point of a vibrant, bustling, epicenter that people enjoy being near.

People?

Twixlen
    Participant

I totally disagree about the Arena – if you’re in the Arena District on a game night, it’s hopping. If it’s a Friday or Saturday, the crowd gets here early to eat & drink before hand. If there is a convention going on at the same time, the Arena District & near Short North will be jammed with people.

GusParks

Twixlen wrote >>
    I totally disagree about the Arena – if you’re in the Arena District on a game night, it’s hopping. If it’s a Friday or Saturday, the crowd gets here early to eat & drink before hand. If there is a convention going on at the same time, the Arena District & near Short North will be jammed with people.

I lived in the Arena for Two years + and yes, it is lively on Fri and Sat before and during events, but what about the other five days of the week?

If there isn’t a game or if hockey season is over, the place is a ghost town. I’ve walked around many Sundays and evenings when no events are going on and you might see five other people. On a typical night you will not see many people at all. It’s erie. No one is going to eat at Boston’s unless they are on a work lunch break or slamming some beer before an event. Go to any of the FEW restaurants in the Arena on say a Tuesday night and you won’t find many people.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 208 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.