Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Great Ideas/Concepts to Steal from Other Cities

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Great Ideas/Concepts to Steal from Other Cities

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 177 total)
  • Author

blammo
    Participant

anillo wrote >>
    if we put zip lines along the arches in the short north, we wouldn’t need crosswalks.

I’m all for zip lines, a commuter roller coaster, or some similar derivation of alternative transportation down high street.

Tenzo
    Participant

NO INCOME TAX

michaelcoyote
    Participant

25 MPH speed limits in residential areas that are actually enforced..

blammo
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote >>

In Mexico they make speed limits self-enforcing by just putting a pile of asphalt in the street of sufficient height and angle to do damage to a car if the speed limit is exceeded. I’d be down with that. They could apply the same concept to the aforementioned crosswalks, just put some steep little mounds on either side w/ reflectors galore embedded in them…people will get used to slowing down REALLY quickly.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

blammo wrote >>

michaelcoyote wrote >>

In Mexico they make speed limits self-enforcing by just putting a pile of asphalt in the street of sufficient height and angle to do damage to a car if the speed limit is exceeded. I’d be down with that. They could apply the same concept to the aforementioned crosswalks, just put some steep little mounds on either side w/ reflectors galore embedded in them…people will get used to slowing down REALLY quickly.

Traffic calming AND city funded mini-bike ramps all in one. I vote WIN!

michaelcoyote
    Participant

blammo wrote >>

michaelcoyote wrote >>

I like this idea a lot, but somewhere in the back of my mind I see some dude ramping his YSR over one..

Not sure where *that* image is coming from..

blammo
    Participant

osulew wrote >>

blammo wrote >>

michaelcoyote wrote >>

Traffic calming AND city funded mini-bike ramps all in one. I vote WIN!

I guess “traffic calming” for cars = “traffic excitement” for bicycles & motorcycles.

anillo
    Participant

So it also encourages greener methods of transportation!

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

anillo wrote >>
    So it also encourages greener methods of transportation!

Apparently you haven’t seen blammo’s 2-stroke mini monsters…heloooooooooooooooooooooooo carbon footprint!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Well, I guess that didn’t work.

shmack

Walker wrote >>
    Anyone have any to share?
    Here’s one from Cleveland that we could easily adapt:
    A la cart? Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson cooks up plan for more food options on street

i was just thinking this morning that i’d like to see some halal chicken & rice carts and some lamb gyro carts, ones with a real grill so everything’s hot and fresh. and some coffee & pastries carts. and some tamale carts. and even a sweet tooth truck, with cookies and cakes & sorbets & stuff. yes, i’d like to steal the portland international truck/cart concept.

joev
    Participant

shmack wrote >> yes, i’d like to steal the portland international truck/cart concept.

That would be marvelous. Maybe set it up in that parking lot at Gay and High. Or at the former site of City Center once that’s gone.

HeySquare
    Participant

I was in Boston a couple of years ago. They had this Bon Marche restaurant, which I think is a European chain. Anyway… you get a little card when you walk through the door, and there is like every kind of prepared food imagineable avalible. You want an omlette? you go to the omlette station, get an omlette, and they mark your card. Sandwich? Pasta? Dessert? They have a variety of food stations scattered throughout, with tables and different seating arrangements. When you are done eating, you check out, and they tote up all the items on your card, and you pay as you leave. They also had some grocery and wine items available for purchase, I think. It was all kind of like the prepared food and salads area of Whole Foods, only you could sit down and eat your meal, and then check out afterward.

I thought it was cool because it had a lot of dining options, so if you just wanted a quick sandwich you could grab that, but it also had a variety of prepared take-out food, vegetarian options, and speciality items (like crepes). Something for everyone.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

shmack wrote >>
    i was just thinking this morning that i’d like to see some halal chicken & rice carts and some lamb gyro carts, ones with a real grill so everything’s hot and fresh. and some coffee & pastries carts. and some tamale carts. and even a sweet tooth truck, with cookies and cakes & sorbets & stuff. yes, i’d like to steal the portland international truck/cart concept.

Last time I was there (2+ years now), I only saw a few trucks around the downtown.. There was an Indian place and a Thai place.. I think there might have been a Coffee place too, but there weren’t a ton..

If we’re stealing things from Portland, how about stealing the idea of a downtown ”Fareless Square”

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Screw the fareless square, how do we get an online transit map like that?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 177 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: