Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Great Ideas/Concepts to Steal from Other Cities

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Great Ideas/Concepts to Steal from Other Cities

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 177 total)
  • Author

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

This pic from Sartorialist is a rental bike, now available in Paris:

I think this speaks to what I want for Columbus, that is, to be a “cowtown” with cosmopolitan options. I think we should keep the things we like about our city, and our real, middle-of-the-road flavor, but add a few cost-effective things that are really out of the ordinary. I would love for a visitor from another country to come here specifically to enjoy what is columbus about Columbus, and also to enjoy some of the things they enjoy in some of the world’s biggest metropolises.

The bike is fine, but if people start dressing like that when they ride it, I’m moving away.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>
    The bike is fine, but if people start dressing like that when they ride it, I’m moving away.

What’s wrong with wearing clothes that fit you, in relatively neutral colors?

I think Sartorialist is a relatively conservative style locus.

Not to mention, Mr. Modeling Agency, you should be immune to style at this point.

JonMyers
    Participant

The city bike share system in Paris is awesome.

At one point I recall there being talks here in Columbus of reaching out to Clear Channel to power this system. I’m sure in this economy getting them to give up the cash to do it would be tough. From what I understand JC Decaux (an out of home advertising company) were sort of forced into the Parisian bike share system if they wanted to renew the leases with their public advertising opportunities in Paris. Maybe we take the backhanded approach and legislate something similar.

heresthecasey
    Participant

What jumps out to me the most are the shoes/slippers/women’s loafers? he is wearing. And mayybe his glazed over, “i’m DUI” stare, but everything else is fine and id love to see a bike share system in columbus.

JonMyers
    Participant

Seriously. I’d personally feel a lot more comfortable seeing a dapper gentleman sporting baggy sweatpants, flip flops and a maternity style Buckeyes shirt.

heresthecasey
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>
    Seriously. I’d personally feel a lot more comfortable seeing a dapper gentleman sporting baggy sweatpants, flip flops and a maternity style Buckeyes shirt.

no crocs?

I have no problem with the suit. When you turn the suit into something with the pant ending at mid thigh and combine them with Hugh Hefner slippers…you’ve lost me.

JonMyers
    Participant

@casey – Now you’re talkin’. Crocs put me even more at ease.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>

Wow, Jon… I thought you were on board with this sort of thing. Where’s Bergdorf Goodwill when I need him?

Honestly, when I see that guy, I think, “Look at that clean-cut man with great style. Finally, someone to date in this town. Hope he likes ladies.”

Whatevs. Get the bikes in here…

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>
    I have no problem with the suit. When you turn the suit into something with the pant ending at mid thigh and combine them with Hugh Hefner slippers…you’ve lost me.

When pants end at mid-thigh, they are called shorts. And those are fabric loafers, my friend… a lot more climate-appropriate than Crocs, or some of the ridiculously huge sneakers I see tons of people wear downtown everyday…

Tigertree, where are you to dispel this heresy? ;)

JonMyers
    Participant

@Manatee – lol. Being a smart ass. Observing the man’s look doesn’t emasculate me or trigger my inner hessian to beat things.

The NYT’s had a great style spread a few month’s back regarding fashionable male cycling: Fashionable Cycling

You’d probably be assaulted here sporting these looks, but some of them are fun.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>

@Manatee
    – lol. Being a smart ass. Observing the man’s look doesn’t emasculate me or trigger my inner hessian to beat things.
    The NYT’s had a great style spread a few month’s back regarding fashionable male cycling: Fashionable Cycling
    You’d probably be assaulted here sporting these looks, but some of them are fun.

Yeah. Assaulted by me and my hoo-haw:

God, that one with the bow-tie. Yes sir.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Just as long as those damn rent a bikes have space for a big honking license plate…

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 177 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: