Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Great Ideas/Concepts to Steal from Other Cities

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Great Ideas/Concepts to Steal from Other Cities

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 177 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Anyone have any to share?

Here’s one from Cleveland that we could easily adapt:

A la cart? Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson cooks up plan for more food options on street

enzo
    Participant

From San Antonio=Riverwalk—fix up ours

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

A comprehensive, multi-modal transit system?

(Sorry, someone had to say it.)

ETA

Some I would love us to “steal”:

Mobilien in Paris[/url]

True Bike Boulevards like Berkley[/url] and Portland[/url]

michaelcoyote
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

I’d just settle for a Portland style light rail system..

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

I’d just settle for a Portland style light rail system..

That too. I say shoot for the stars. If we only get halfway, we would at least be in a better place than we are.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

Yeah, I guess I should have clarified and said that I was talking about smaller, creative, or innovative ideas that particular cities are trying/testing out.

I’ve always loved Atlanta’s Cyclorama!

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

How about taking what other cities are doing wrong and do them right? Like: a real cycling system without awful bike lanes, closing down a lane of traffic for uninterrupted pedestrian flow when a sidewalk is closed. If we can’t even get this smaller scale stuff up to snuff, that only gives reasons to have serious reservations about larger scale projects which I don’t think are the answer anyway, for the most part. It’s all in the several little interwoven details.

Then we have the complete streets thing, but since 2007, Gay is still the only complete street Downtown. Front will hopefully add to that later this year, but we only got two stretches in 3 years in a good economy? Other business districts need to be converted to complete streets (higher property values, etc). At least put sharrows (very cheap, btw) on some Downtown streets aside from High, with the sharrow being sizeable and located in the middle of the lane. Oh well, at least the city was proactive in spending $$$ so that we have all those nifty “push button to cross” contraptions which won’t give you a “walk” light even if you have right of way unless you push the button. So yeah, another idea is to stop wasting money on unnecessary BS, like inconveniencing pedestrians.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Speaking of pedestrians, how about stealing an idea from one of our in-town neighbors? The cross light at College and Main in Bexley is timed to give pedestrians a 15-30 second head start with all traffic lights red. Don’t know if any of the Columbus lights have the same function.

blammo
    Participant

I’ve noticed the addition of some non-intersection pedestrian crosswalks on High Street . These are accompanied by some street signs that say “traffic must yield to pedestrians in crosswalk”. However, Columbus seems not yet ready for this concept, as people ignore the signs and blow right past people attempting to cross. In London, they have the same setup, but the signs have flashing lights & arrows pointing at the crosswalks, and motorists actually prepare to stop as they approach. It took awhile but I finally got up the nerve to step out in front of traffic like the locals.

Anything that lets motorized vehicles traveling in areas of heavy pedestrian traffic know that they should be prepared to stop at any time would be great. Enforcement of these rules would be pretty sweet too. And if that’s too inconvenient for cars, I’d like to see people in a hurry take an alternate route besides High Street.

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    Speaking of pedestrians, how about stealing an idea from one of our in-town neighbors? The cross light at College and Main in Bexley is timed to give pedestrians a 15-30 second head start with all traffic lights red. Don’t know if any of the Columbus lights have the same function.

I think the one at High and Starr does this. The crosswalk goes in a weird direction, tho, so maybe that’s why (we always cut across the street more directly than the crosswalk — at least for us going from the west side to the east side, and heading north from there).

blammo wrote >>
    I’ve noticed the addition of some non-intersection pedestrian crosswalks on High Street . These are accompanied by some street signs that say “traffic must yield to pedestrians in crosswalk”. However, Columbus seems not yet ready for this concept, as people ignore the signs and blow right past people attempting to cross. In London, they have the same setup, but the signs have flashing lights & arrows pointing at the crosswalks, and motorists actually prepare to stop as they approach. It took awhile but I finally got up the nerve to step out in front of traffic like the locals.
    Anything that lets motorized vehicles traveling in areas of heavy pedestrian traffic know that they should be prepared to stop at any time would be great. Enforcement of these rules would be pretty sweet too. And if that’s too inconvenient for cars, I’d like to see people in a hurry take an alternate route besides High Street.

There’s also that crosswalk on Dennison at an intersection where there’s no stop sign. Honestly, I think this just confuses drivers and pedestrians right now. I won’t step out into it if I see an oncoming car, even tho I’m quite bold if I’m at an intersection with a stop sign. And of course, if no one steps out, then drivers don’t learn to watch for them.

anillo
    Participant

if we put zip lines along the arches in the short north, we wouldn’t need crosswalks.

blammo
    Participant

chrisgillespie wrote >>

There’s also that crosswalk on Dennison at an intersection where there’s no stop sign. Honestly, I think this just confuses drivers and pedestrians right now. I won’t step out into it if I see an oncoming car, even tho I’m quite bold if I’m at an intersection with a stop sign. And of course, if no one steps out, then drivers don’t learn to watch for them.

Yeah, that’s the thing…mere stripes on the road do not a crosswalk make. At least not in this town. You should be able to march right out there & cross the street, but you’re asking to get clocked by some inattentive doofus with a chip on their shoulder.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 177 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: