Our City Online

Messageboard - Travel

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Great Day Trips?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Travel Great Day Trips?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Jimmy Mak
    Jimmy Mak
    Participant

Normally my wife and I go to Yellow Springs, but thanks to this site we discovered Circleville that we can now add to our “day trip” list. Are there any other little gems not too far from here? What makes them special?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I’ve always been a fan of Lake Hope State Park. Just about an hour away, great drive too once you hit 278.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

a little late now, but when the trees were in peak color-changing, Coshocton was a great lil day trip. They have a nice historic downtown too.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Granville is really pretty.
    also, Highland Nature Sanctuary.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

2 birds with one stone. take 16 (Broad Street) through Granville to Coshocton.

Core_Models

I could spend a day in Granville. Lots of cool old buildings, the alligator mound, good food at several places (and spots to get a drink), and its the home of Steve Carrell. Buxton Inn, the Short Story, Brews Cafe all worth a stop.

blammo
    Participant

There’s a great bike trail in Granville too. Park in Granville, ride your bikes to Johnstown, grab some ice cream, then ride back to Granville & hit a pub.

Lake Hope is my favorite state park & has a great mountain bike trail system & there’s a huge backpacking trail loop across the street at Zaleski National Forest.

I always have a good time wandering around Athens too.

Kerry

Mansfield and visit Malabar Farm, Mohican State Park and near by Amish communities.

Mercurius
    Participant

Lake Katharine has amazing flora, waterfalls and it’s near the city of Jackson. Athens is great for local food. Check out the farmer’s market on Saturday morning, Jana’s Soul Cafe, The Village Bakery and Casa Neuava. I also never go to Athens without stopping at Strouds Run and Glass House Works. The Ridges also is pretty cool and probably has the nicest old growth oak forest I’ve seen in Ohio.

hungrywoolf
    Participant

We went to Dawes Arborteum[/url] last weekend and it is really beautiful.

themel

Try Hocking Hills. It is absolutley amazing this time of year. Lots of quaint B&B’s and there are tons of Parks (Old Man’s Cave is most well known) with bike and walking trails. Stop by the Pizza cottage on 22 on your way back thru Lancaster for an awesome pizza pub experience!

Columbusite

Neighborhoods in Cincinnati and Cleveland. Most of Ohio is within reach of an easy daytrip and it depends on what you’re looking for and for nearby towns I second Granville and recommend Gambier, home of Kenyon College (the 2nd most expensive one in the world). The exteriors and interiors of the campus buildings are impressive. While there you could check out Mt. Vernon next door which is a nice looking town. Dayton would be good for the art institute, Oregon District, and of course, the Wright Patterson museum.

Jimmy Mak
    Jimmy Mak
    Participant

Thanks guys, these are great! Can’t wait to check out some of these places. Keep ’em coming.

DavidF
    Participant

I just spent the week in Dayton. Didn’t really get to do too much exploring, but wow, their metro park system is pretty awesome.

More here:
    http://www.metroparks.org/

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

The forum ‘Travel’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Urban Living Tour returns (with strict safety guidelines) on Aug 30!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS