Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Great City - New 80,000 Person Urban Development in China

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Great City – New 80,000 Person Urban Development in China

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Impressive, interesting concept…

Great City by Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture

24 October 2012

News: work is about to start on a high-density, car-free “satellite city” for 80,000 people that will be built from scratch in a rural location close to Chengdu and later replicated in other parts of China.

Designed by Chicago firm Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture for private developer Beijing Vantone Real Estate Co., Ltd, the 1.3 square kilometre Great City will feature a high-rise core surrounded by a “buffer landscape” of open space comprising 60% of the total area. Residents will be able to walk from the city centre to its edge in just 10 minutes.

READ MORE: http://www.dezeen.com/2012/10/24/great-city-by-adrian-smith-gordon-gill-architecture/

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Indeed. I especially like how much greenery they’ve incorporated into the overall modern glass and concrete design at the street level.

Graybeak
    Participant

Looks kind of familiar…

ricospaz
    Participant

residents will be airdropped in and an electrified fence will keep them there.

dubdave00
    Participant

Will there be 80,000 people or is it “designed for 80,000 people”?

Really interesting segment on Chinese ghost cities…

I’m sure this doesn’t apply to every place in China. But very interesting nonetheless.

susank

dubdave00 said:
    Will there be 80,000 people or is it “designed for 80,000 people”?

Really interesting segment on Chinese ghost cities…

I’m sure this doesn’t apply to every place in China. But very interesting nonetheless.

Wow, that is eye opening.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, Chinese development isn’t without its failures. So it’ll be interesting to see if this one works out.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2012/04/02/456278/the-emptiest-mall-in-the-world/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_South_China_Mall

mrpoppinzs

Looks like they use this to pad their GDP. I guess it is better than wars, but still a huge waste of resources.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION