Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Grandview Yard - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Grandview Yard – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 795 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant

Coreroc said:
    One of the most creative hubs in Columbus art has been back there for years creating events that go far bayond anything else happening in Grandview.

What’s that?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jpizzow said:
    A new rendering up on the GY site for the planned buildout. You have got to be effing kidding me!! I’m speechless.

Oof. Yeah, the northern end of the development looks VERY suburban with parking lots taking up 75% of the space for every 25% buildings. The middle and southern ends look a bit better, and the parking looks a lot more concealed in the backs of the buildings.

I doubt all of this is entirely set in stone, and is probably development driven. Hopefully there’s still time to continue to make alterations along the way.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jbcmh81 said:
    And jpizzow, you’re not jumping the gun about West Nationwide. They’ve already basically stated that it would not have the density of the rest of the Arena District.

I’ve been under the impression that the West Arena District housing development will end up looking more like Harrison Park than Arena Crossing. Which is less dense, but still urban.

ricospaz
    Participant

Coreroc said:
    HAHA did you ever take the time to investigate those old warehouses and what they are creating? One of the most creative hubs in Columbus art has been back there for years creating events that go far bayond anything else happening in Grandview. Throw in the Ohio Roller Girls space and other valuable companies like Loeb Electric and I think that that old district of Grandview makes up for some serious lack in that part of town. What Grandview really needs is 3-4 donut shops so that the stupid police have something far better to do than harass the residents and visitors to their community. Then again someone had to replace New Rome!

Haha Agreed. Police presence is large! And you brought up some good points.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

If I’m not mistaken, most of the warehouses are remaining, right? They’re next to Grandview Yard, not a part of it.

The warehouses that were demolished were mostly the empty Big Bear warehouses and offices, and they’re already gone.

columbusmike
    Participant

Yeah I saw that rendering the other day and was very disappointed. Another asphalt strip mall is not what that area needs. The portion of GY surrounding 3rd is horrendous.

jbcmh81
    Participant

rus said:
    Maybe the people who own it just don’t share your sense of style?

This is about smart development, not aesthetics. Putting massive amounts of surface parking is basically saying that the way we’ve been building the last 50 years, despite all the negative results, should be continued. Is this really the future of development in Columbus?

jbcmh81
    Participant

Walker said:
    I’ve been under the impression that the West Arena District housing development will end up looking more like Harrison Park than Arena Crossing. Which is less dense, but still urban.

Isn’t most of the Harrison Park development single-family homes/condos? It matches that neighborhood well, but I’m not sure that would how that would fit the AD and I wouldn’t necessarily call it “urban”.

rus
    rus
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:
    This is about smart development, not aesthetics. Putting massive amounts of surface parking is basically saying that the way we’ve been building the last 50 years, despite all the negative results, should be continued. Is this really the future of development in Columbus?

Guess I was confused by this:

jbcmh81 said:
    We care far less about practicality, density, planning, style or impact so long as *something* gets done.

Thought you were talking about style ( read as: aesthetics ) among other things.

Heck, maybe it’s the idea of density that doesn’t sell.

futureman
    Participant

Walker said:
    If I’m not mistaken, most of the warehouses are remaining, right? They’re next to Grandview Yard, not a part of it.

The warehouses that were demolished were mostly the empty Big Bear warehouses and offices, and they’re already gone.p

Actually there are a bunch of smaller warehouses that haven’t been knocked down yet. On both sides of Higgs ave over to Lobb Electric are slated for development. Additionally, the warehouses still exist north of 3rd ave.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:
    Isn’t most of the Harrison Park development single-family homes/condos? It matches that neighborhood well, but I’m not sure that would how that would fit the AD and I wouldn’t necessarily call it “urban”.

Agreed. I view W. Nationwide and Harrison West as apples and oranges. W. Nationwide does NOT need surface parking and should be more dense. It is downtown after all and should feel as such. I would expect nothing short of another mixed use extension, but this time focusing more on the residential side with retail concentrated along Nationwide Blvd. There is no reason GY cannot be built the same way, dense and walkable. A neighborhood for the pedestrian and not another carbon copy of Polaris Parkway.

NRI may have the financial resources to develop at this pace and scale but maybe, just maybe, they don’t really have the right people in place to advise on good neighborhood building principles. Just a thought.

jbcmh81
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    Agreed. I view W. Nationwide and Harrison West as apples and oranges. W. Nationwide does NOT need surface parking and should be more dense. It is downtown after all and should feel as such. I would expect nothing short of another mixed use extension, but this time focusing more on the residential side with retail concentrated along Nationwide Blvd. There is no reason GY cannot be built the same way, dense and walkable. A neighborhood for the pedestrian and not another carbon copy of Polaris Parkway.

NRI may have the financial resources to develop at this pace and scale but maybe, just maybe, they don’t really have the right people in place to advise on good neighborhood building principles. Just a thought.

Totally agree, but if I’m to understand many of the responses, it goes back to being disappointed but accepting it because it’s development… or that it’s all subjective so no need for any debate.

leftovers

I agree that the rendering looks bad for an urban development. I wonder though if it is more of an interphase design to accomodate a perhaps less than ideal market for retail and office space. I am still hoping that the parkinglots will be filled in as tenants materialize in the future.

derm
    derm
    Participant

A mildly educated guess on this is that with the economy and the occupancy numbers, NW will currently put in things that can be easily converted to different things once some future economic things improve. Easy to turn a small buildings and a parking lot into something down the line. They are already behind plan on what they were going to build because of the way the world is now. They do want to put in some office buildings that will allow them to move workers closer to downtown from the Dublin offices and the surface lots will allow for worker parking for free,a major problem with downtown parking, while being able to be changed to something different down the line if change is needed. Building a large parking garage, then demolishing said parking garage is much more expensive than paving a lot, when your ten year time frame to develop an area slowly has been turned into a twenty year time frame due to the economy. NW realty has a lot of irons in the fire right now.

surber17
    Participant

I saw this pic the other day too and was extremely disappointed in it, but then I stepped back and thought about it ….. there is no way this is the final design. Think about the current surface parking lot they put in. They did it quick and even said it was temporary. As this area grows, I’m 100% sure demand to live/work there will too so I’m not overly worried that we’ll see a sea of surface lots plus I doubt Grandview City Council will allow that to happen either since that didn’t seem to be part of the original plan.
    As for finding current tenants , people should stop over there before commenting on that ….. I was just there yesterday and I’d say the office space is mostly full with build outs continuing.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 795 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: