Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Grandview Yard - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Grandview Yard – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 795 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

cc said:
    Are you guys talking about the building on the corner of 3rd and Olentangy where Liberty’s was? I don’t think that is part of Grandview Yard and that would be a pretty big building to tear down for a Chick Fil A.

I’ve seen bigger buildings knocked down for parking lots. ;)

surber17
    Participant

Grandview Yard’s website has been updated with a “fly by” video of the new apartments

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

catnfiddle
    Participant

This will officially be my reason for taking winter walks. I love watching construction sites grow.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

A new rendering up on the GY site for the planned buildout. You have got to be effing kidding me!! I’m speechless. And, before any of you say, “well, at least it’s filling in vacant land.” Stop right there. This is NOT the suburbs. Are they seriously considering that many surface lots AND free standing restaurants?? (look at the north portion) As much as I’m grateful for the amount of development NRI has given this city, they seem to be lacking in good site design lately. Example, the FBI building is a suburban building and I fear that West Nationwide, when developed, will be low density and suburban style. (I know that’s somewhat unfair and jumping the gun a little.) I am genuinely worried about GY now.

leftovers

looks more like they are having trouble finding tenants.

ricospaz
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    A new rendering up on the GY site for the planned buildout. You have got to be effing kidding me!! I’m speechless. And, before any of you say, “well, at least it’s filling in vacant land.” Stop right there. This is NOT the suburbs. Are they seriously considering that many surface lots AND free standing restaurants?? (look at the north portion) As much as I’m grateful for the amount of development NRI has given this city, they seem to be lacking in good site design lately. Example, the FBI building is a suburban building and I fear that West Nationwide, when developed, will be low density and suburban style. (I know that’s somewhat unfair and jumping the gun a little.) I am genuinely worried about GY now.

Doesn’t look bad to me. As a Grandview homeowner, I’m happy to have something there besides an aging warehouse. Did you ever drive back around some of the old manufacturing around there? Crummy rotting buildings. I see a decent amount of green space and decent building design. I also like that it’s completely separate from Grandview really– I can reap the reward and walk/bike/drive home and not feel in the shadow of this new monstrous development.

jbcmh81
    Participant

jpizzow said:

What a disaster. It’s like developers haven’t learned anything from the past 50-60 years of sacrificing density for cars and parking. One only needs to look at the downtowns of nearly every city in the country, including our own, to see how this doesn’t work outside of Dublin, and even in the suburbs it’s not working so well anymore. My faith in this project has now gone to zero.

jbcmh81
    Participant

ricospaz said:
    Doesn’t look bad to me. As a Grandview homeowner, I’m happy to have something there besides an aging warehouse. Did you ever drive back around some of the old manufacturing around there? Crummy rotting buildings. I see a decent amount of green space and decent building design. I also like that it’s completely separate from Grandview really– I can reap the reward and walk/bike/drive home and not feel in the shadow of this new monstrous development.

This is exactly the Columbus mentality I have been referring to. We tend to take anything so long as it’s development. We care far less about practicality, density, planning, style or impact so long as *something* gets done. This is mind-numbingly short-sighted.

futureman
    Participant

I noticed the new site layout rendering a couple of days ago as well. I was surprised to see so many surface lots on the northern section from 3rd ave to what apparently is Burrel ave. I recall reading that the majority of the retail was planned for 3rd ave, so this seems strange.

The absence of trees in the parking areas south of Burrel Ave makes me think these are two story parking structures, similar to the existing one off Goodale between Urban Active and the new apartments.

jbcmh81
    Participant

And jpizzow, you’re not jumping the gun about West Nationwide. They’ve already basically stated that it would not have the density of the rest of the Arena District.

rus
    rus
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:
    This is exactly the Columbus mentality I have been referring to. We tend to take anything so long as it’s development. We care far less about practicality, density, planning, style or impact so long as *something* gets done. This is mind-numbingly short-sighted.

Maybe the people who own it just don’t share your sense of style?

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

UThis is a disappointment. What have they done to the potential of this site? Ill tell you, flushed it down the drain.

ricospaz
    Participant

Hmm short-sighted? Apparently you think developers have all the money in the world. They have to conform to city regulations and codes AND make some money as well. Where do you think people will park their cars? On city streets? Very typical response from someone that thinks everything can be done in life using a bicycle or sandals. Concentrate on making downtown a better environment. This isn’t even downtown!

Coreroc

ricospaz said:

HAHA did you ever take the time to investigate those old warehouses and what they are creating? One of the most creative hubs in Columbus art has been back there for years creating events that go far bayond anything else happening in Grandview. Throw in the Ohio Roller Girls space and other valuable companies like Loeb Electric and I think that that old district of Grandview makes up for some serious lack in that part of town. What Grandview really needs is 3-4 donut shops so that the stupid police have something far better to do than harass the residents and visitors to their community. Then again someone had to replace New Rome!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 795 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE