Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Grandview Yard - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Grandview Yard – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 795 total)
  • Author

columbusmike
    Participant

^ MHJ

Miami has a nearly city-wide development code, and Cincinnati is in the development of a similar code.

I could care less what the use is, be it a tanning bed, liquor store, residence, etc. But the development should have some flexibility.

The problem with a strip mall development like this one, in addition to being unsightly and not pedestrian friendly, is that it doesn’t allow for changes in use. When retail tanks down the road, these developments can’t easily be converted to residential or sometimes even decent office space. That’s the big problem with haphazard development.

One of the reasons downtown has been successful, is that many of the old buildings can easily be converted from factories to residential lofts, or offices to apartments. Strip mall and low density development doesn’t allow for flexibility over time.

MHJ
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    ^ MHJ

Miami has a nearly city-wide development code, and Cincinnati is in the development of a similar code.

A development code is something significantly different from what you first typed, which was “design guidelines.”

I see that Miami[/url] and Cincinnati are developing are form-based codes. I agree that would be a good idea for Columbus.

I could care less what the use is, be it a tanning bed, liquor store, residence, etc. But the development should have some flexibility.

The problem with a strip mall development like this one, in addition to being unsightly and not pedestrian friendly, is that it doesn’t allow for changes in use. When retail tanks down the road, these developments can’t easily be converted to residential or sometimes even decent office space. That’s the big problem with haphazard development.

One of the reasons downtown has been successful, is that many of the old buildings can easily be converted from factories to residential lofts, or offices to apartments. Strip mall and low density development doesn’t allow for flexibility over time.

I’d venture to say that the majority of the residential stuff that’s happened downtown outside of the Short North and German Village has been new build, but then maybe those neighborhoods are precisely what you mean, not the more recent apartment boom.

But I agree that a strip mall is not the best use of that parcel of land.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

the bank is coming down today.

Pablo
    Participant

It’s down, as is the building next door.

luketenley

I thought the code was red brick and glass… every building built in the last couple years has had the same facade it seems. Boring! JK

Why wouldn’t they really try and work on getting more stores into the Yard and not on Olentangy?

ricospaz
    Participant

Drove by the old bank yesterday. Well, the pile of stone and steel. I wish they could have incorporated that into the new strip mall somehow. It would have made a great brewpub! Had a great patio too.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

luketenley said:
    Why wouldn’t they really try and work on getting more stores into the Yard and not on Olentangy?

Who’s “they”?

This Olentangy development is within the City of Columbus, and is a private development by Northstar Realty. Grandview Yard is within the City of Grandview Heights and developed by Nationwide Realty Investors.

susank

I had a friend who worked at the bank building when it was ‘Into Great’ and I have distant memories of it being a bar called Liberty. It is a real shame that they couldn’t repurpose it. The old building had some character.

It would be a real shame if they build more stuff like that new apartment building that looks like a prison or that suburban Giant Eagle. Third seems to have a lot of wasted potential.

Graybeak
    Participant

susank said:
    I had a friend who worked at the bank building when it was ‘Into Great’ and I have distant memories of it being a bar called Liberty. It is a real shame that they couldn’t repurpose it. The old building had some character.

I remember driving past there when there were a couple redbox (or whatever the equivalent at the time was) machines in the front, and that was it.

susank

Graybeak said:
    I remember driving past there when there were a couple redbox (or whatever the equivalent at the time was) machines in the front, and that was it.

Yeah, it was a automated Blockbuster for awhile. The location suffered as it was so disconnected. Now that they are building things they are still making them like they are in the ‘burbs. I don’t remember who is responsible for building that atrocious apartment complex but it really has set the area back.

ricospaz
    Participant

I used to go to Liberty from time to time. The building seemed to be in real good shape.. This would have been around 2002 or so.

and yes, I think those apts behind it look terrible. a castle or something, with a nice blank wall facing 3rd.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

shouldn’t there be some epicly heavy vault in that rubble somewhere?

leftovers

vestanpance said:
    shouldn’t there be some epicly heavy vault in that rubble somewhere?

I heard Geraldo Riveria was going to open it on Pay Per View,

GCrites80s
    Participant

I remember hearing this one in there back then and wanting to Mortal Kombat out:

surber17
    Participant

I wonder if they are recycling some of the great stone from the outside of the bank. Those pillar pieces would be perfect garden pieces.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 795 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE