Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Grandview Yard - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Grandview Yard – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 795 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I heard that Agora will be the final party at Junctionview, but yes… the closing is coming soon. Full details coming shortly.

futureman
    Participant

Sad to see it go :)

LauraA

unfortunately, futureman is correct. we have been asked to vacate by the end of April. agora will be April 13. call for entries will open today at agoracolumbus.com. Adam has posted a press release at junctionviewstudios.com. I’m very sad to see the building close as it has been more of a home to me than my apt for more than five years. the community we built there has been amazing. if you know of open studio spaces, please post them on our fb page. we have many artists to find new homes for. NRI did us a great service allowing us to stay as long as the project would allow us to.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I figured that JV closing was worthy of breaking out to its own thread:

Junctionview Studios is Closing

futureman
    Participant

Next phase of Grandview Yard road improvements start the end of this summer.

Pierce Field work out for bid; new Yard phase OK’d
    By ALAN FROMAN
    ThisWeek Community News Wednesday April 10, 2013 1:01 PM

About $4.1 million worth of projects are planned, including the extension of Yard Street north to Williams Avenue; the extension of Bobcat Avenue north of Williams; and improvements to Williams between Yard and Bobcat, DeGraw said.

The project will use most of the $5 million in grant and loan money awarded to the city by the Ohio Public Works Commission, he said.

Another phase of project is expected to begin in late summer and will include the extension of Burr Avenue to Northwest Boulevard, lining the large sewer on Goodale Boulevard east of Northwest, and improvements to the intersection at Goodale and Northwest, DeGraw said.

READ MORE: http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/grandview/news/2013/04/09/pierce-field-work-out-for-bid-new-yard-phase-okd.html

surber17
    Participant

So the next “Phase” is road improvements? I was hoping for a building to be announced with it.

futureman
    Participant

Walker said:
    I’ve seen bigger buildings knocked down for parking lots. ;)

The Lyon video building was torn down today, the former bank/club/entrepreneur business building next to it could be next as it also has a debris barrier lining the perimeter.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Does anybody have any good abandonment exploration stories about the Lyon Video building? It seems like a lot of people had been in there.

futureman
    Participant

Ughh. Looks like a strip mall… though I do like the idea of Pot Bellys closer by.

And yes, the former Bank looks to be demolished as well.

Miller’s Ale House anchoring new retail center in Grandview Heights
    Brian R. Ball
    Staff reporter- Business First

Northstar Realty LLC has started construction of a retail center at West Third Avenue and Olentangy River Road in Columbus with most of the project leased to restaurants.

Jupiter, Fla.-based Miller’s Ale House plans to take about 9,500 square feet in the 20,000-square-foot plaza, as the casual-dining, sports-theme restaurant enters Ohio for the first time. It runs 64 restaurants in nine states.

Other eating spots signed to the plaza include one of Sbarro LLC’s newly planned Italian restaurants with 3,500 square feet and the Pot Belly Sandwich Works chain at 2,000 square feet. A Palm Beach Tan salon will expand its Central Ohio operations with a 2,900-square-foot storefront, leaving 2,000 square feet remaining for lease.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2013/05/10/grandview-area-gets-added-retail.html

surber17
    Participant

I remember in another thread seeing that they had to get city approval to build this …..why why why did a strip mall get approved for that location. I would like to see some renderings of what the final product is going to look like.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Its not as bad as you might think. Pretty similar to the strip mall near King and Olentangy. No Parking between the street and the building ect. I think the CCO did what it was supposed to do. If you look at the original application from 2011 you can see that they we trying not to comply with the overlay, but it seems that they ‘wised up’.

Latest Variance Application PDF
    Initial Variance Application PDF

futureman
    Participant

Actually if you look at the first application they hadn’t purchased the former Bank building yet, it still has Cab Holding Company LLC. According the business first article Northstar bought that building in December (2012?). Still despite being one story stuctures, it’s nice to see no parking facing Olentangy River Rd.

columbusmike
    Participant

More dumpy construction. When will Columbus adopt some damn design guidelines!?

GCrites80s
    Participant

When more people who really care about that stuff stay and fight rather than bolting for other cities.

MHJ
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    More dumpy construction. When will Columbus adopt some damn design guidelines!?

I don’t think there are many cities with citywide design guidelines (the only one that comes to mind is DC’s height limit, which reduces density, which I’m pretty sure is not your aim in asking your question). That’d be a pretty weird thing to do for a city that’s over 200 square miles in area. There are multiple areas in Columbus that do have strict design guidelines, but I wouldn’t expect the city to have developed such along Olentangy River Road. All the development between Goodale and Kinnear is relatively new (~15 years or less), and some of it is in Clinton Township, not Columbus.

That said, I am somewhat surprised that a developer didn’t opt for somewhat denser development at this intersection, since it’s right down the street from the Tribeca development and not too far from Grandview Yard. The most recent report says that one of the tenants will be a tanning salon: the whole development just sounds kind of low-rent and cheap.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 795 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: