Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Grandview Yard Giant Eagle

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Grandview Yard Giant Eagle

Viewing 15 posts - 691 through 705 (of 778 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant

though Rife’s Market could see an uptick in business soon with GE closing on the other side of GV.

Would be funny to see people parking in the former GE lot and walking across the street to Rife’s.

Or Winking Lizard. Or AAB. Or Mazah.

pez
    Participant

mas917 makes a great point. Although GE may only have a few years left on the 5th Ave lease, the lease includes multiple extension options (typically 3 or 4 five-year renewal options) which GE could continue to exercise and keep the space out of the hands of a competitor. We’ve seen it happen in Columbus (the Mill Run space that Kroger purchsed specifically to keep GE from getting) before. Nowadays landlords are able to structure “go dark” clauses in their leases which allow the landlord to recapture the space if the tenant doesn’t operate for an extended period of time however the GE lease at 5th Ave was an old Big Bear lease from eons ago and doesn’t have a go dark clause.

Kroger also kept the lease and renewed on the empty store on Samwill and Hard to keep another grocer out of there when they opened the Marketplace. When everything finally ran out, Walmart swooped in and honestly, the site is much better with a new Walmart than with a closed Kroger. Albiet that new Walmart is a ghost town when I’ve been there, and the Kroger across the street seems to be as busy as ever.

rus
    rus
    Participant

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2014/08/01/giant-eagle-landlord-waiting-to-here-about-west.html

Giant Eagle landlord waiting to hear about West Fifth Avenue store’s fate

Giant Eagle Inc. has yet to contact the owner of the store at 1451 W. Fifth Ave. as the grocer prepares to close the property a day or two after Labor Day.

John Royer, president of the Kohr Royer Griffith Inc. commercial real estate firm, told me he has no idea what the Pittsburgh-based company will do after the store gets shut down just after Labor Day.

The company reportedly will open the Market District upscale grocery store at Grandview Yard a few days later on Sept. 5.

futureman
    Participant

Rus, I think you might get your wish for a large surface lot in the short term. Yah, for parking!

Still, I doubt KRG would sit to long on an empty prime locations like that. They are a large residential/commercial rental management company, so it only makes sense if the land would be redeveloped (assuming GE isn’t going to hold the lease forever) which would include residential units and probably commercial. It isn’t foreign to them, they did propose the failed complex on the family dollar site on High next to the new Kroger near King. I can’t see any large box store filling in either. Too small for Walmart and Target, and too big for a Trader Joes. It could be broken up into smaller units, but given the demand for residential units in the area with prime rents it would make more sense for that land to go that direction.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

My guess has long been that they’ll demo the building that housed GE and build 5-story mixed-use apartments/professional offices/retail over the better part of the block footprint, with ground-level retail facing 5th, Grandview Ave, and the Ida alley.

This is very positive in that it will further extend and strengthen this leg of the Grandview Avenue District. Parking will likely be tucked into the rear quadrant (a small two level parking deck, maybe–like in Grandview Yard?), along Broadview Ave and the non-commercial half of the Ida alley. I could see more metered parking being added along the block on Broadview as well.

There could easily be ample retail space for a Trader Joes, Hills Market or another small grocer, to fit in alongside more shops and restaurants. Whether or not one will indeed move in there remains to be seen.

News
    Participant

Grandview Yard GetGo Opens
    August 12, 2014 10:39 am – Walker Evans

The newest business to open at Grandview Yard is the GetGo gas station located at 820 West Third Avenue, in front of the new Giant Eagle store, which opens on September 5th. The new 24-hour convenience store opened to the public yesterday, and will be hosting the official grand opening event tomorrow.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/grandview-yard-getgo-opens

rus
    rus
    Participant

Rus, I think you might get your wish for a large surface lot in the short term. Yah, for parking!

Still, I doubt KRG would sit to long on an empty prime locations like that. They are a large residential/commercial rental management company, so it only makes sense if the land would be redeveloped (assuming GE isn’t going to hold the lease forever) which would include residential units and probably commercial. It isn’t foreign to them, they did propose the failed complex on the family dollar site on High next to the new Kroger near King. I can’t see any large box store filling in either. Too small for Walmart and Target, and too big for a Trader Joes. It could be broken up into smaller units, but given the demand for residential units in the area with prime rents it would make more sense for that land to go that direction.

Getting the feeling that GE might hold on to that lease for a bit, if for no other reason than to keep competition down. Definitely wouldn’t mind that since it’s easy parking for visitors from out of the area, 95%+ will be driving.

If it does get redeveloped eventually into residential that site will have a lot of competition.

News
    Participant

Low Price Promotion Sparks Gas Wars in Grandview
    Updated: Thursday, August 14 2014, 06:26 PM EDT

Nearly fifty cents cheaper than the state average, several gas stations lowered their price of a gallon of regular unleaded to just under three dollars on Thursday. The same promotional price was also used at the GetGo on 5th Avenue, sparking nearby Speedways to match.

READ MORE: http://www.myfox28columbus.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/low-price-promotion-sparks-gas-wars-grandview-34267.shtml#.U-15UFbjPwI

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Opened today!

Anyone planning on checking it out?

News
    Participant

First Look: Grandview Yard Giant Eagle Market District
    September 4, 2014 4:37 pm – Walker Evans

The new Grandview Yard Giant Eagle Market District (or GYGEMD for short) located at 840 West Third Avenue is officially opening up tomorrow morning, but has soft-opened today for any shoppers inclined to pop in for an early look at the new store.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/first-look-grandview-yard-giant-eagle-market-district

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

Was just in there. Seems slightly less “vast” than the Kingsdale/Upper Arlington location, so they’ve apparently made some floor plan design improvements. Also, the interior itself kinda reminds me of the Brewers Yard Kroger. Like a refurbished warehouse, sort of.

Seems to have nearly all of the same features as Kingsdale. Disappointed that they apparently ditched their in-house smoothie and coffee bar for Starbucks though (apparently Starbucks dominates the coffee scene in Western PA where GE is based). On the flip side, they actually have a full-service bar adjacent to their alcohol dept, complete with TVs. Just in case you get caught out buying groceries during the OSU game!

Lots of suits from Giant Eagle’s corporate exec team in Pittsburgh were on the scene. I get the feeling that the Market District concept is going to become increasingly central to their business focus.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Lots of suits from Giant Eagle’s corporate exec team in Pittsburgh were on the scene. I get the feeling that the Market District concept is going to become increasingly central to their business focus.

Heh. When I was in there around 3pm today it felt like there were 10 employees for every 1 customer. ;)

It would be interesting if the mid-size grocery store format starts to go away to be replaced by either the much larger 100,00sqft mega-store format and the much smaller 10,000sqft micro-store urban concept.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Was there ’bout 8:30 tonight. They were doing a brisk business. Was there for a few things and found some good deals (I assume introductory deals) on a couple of other items I like to keep around the house (a nice cheese for one).

Didn’t look around the whole place but it seemed pretty much like the one at kingsdale.

I like the way they had the checkout arranged. Single feeder-line with a video display to direct to the next available cashier like at microcenter. I hope they keep that and its not just a grand openning thing.

bayrea
    Participant

I like the way they had the checkout arranged. Single feeder-line with a video display to direct to the next available cashier like at microcenter. I hope they keep that and its not just a grand openning thing.

Yeah, we just cut in front of the whole line like nubes and got scolded by the employees. Oh well, next time I will pay attention.

rus
    rus
    Participant

I like the way they had the checkout arranged.

Reminded me of the whole foods in union square. Smaller scale, but still.

Definitely going all out. The woman playing the harp, for instance.

Viewing 15 posts - 691 through 705 (of 778 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: