Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Grandview Yard Giant Eagle

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Grandview Yard Giant Eagle

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 778 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

derm said:
    My pedestrian experience to this place is different than others will be, thus my view of the viability of this place is different.

It sounds like you and I and many others here on CU are urban enthusiasts (or some other similar term). So we’re willing to put up with any sort barriers to be able to walk, bike or bus to our destinations.

Unfortunately, not everyone shares the same sentiment. They won’t be interested in a walkable community if the bare minimum is done to make it walkable. The people I’m talking about are the ones who don’t live in Grandview, OSU, Harrison West or anywhere else nearby. They’re the ones who aren’t considering it.

If this Giant Eagle is no different than the one at Bethel & Sawmill then what’s the difference in choosing where to live? What’s the difference between the urban and suburban experience? If I’m reading you correctly, there isn’t one. Both stores and the infrastructure around them will be designed to accomodate 95%+ customers by car, and there will be a very small percentage of people who choose to bike or walk.

Good urban planning and development is really all that can change that.

rus
    rus
    Participant

futureman said:

Lennox Town Center – Phase 2 … for better or worse.

Works for me. I like Lennox.

JeepGirl
    Participant

Walker said:
    What’s the difference between the urban and suburban experience? If I’m reading you correctly, there isn’t one.

So what’s wrong with that?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

JeepGirl said:
    So what’s wrong with that?

There should be differences.

I’m not saying one is better than the other. There’s room for everyone’s preferences.

But there should be differences.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rus said:
    Works for me. I like Lennox.

I like the Lennox as long as I drive.

Having bussed there a few times… that kind of sucks. If riding the bus was my only method of transportation (hello student population) I’d spend as little time and money over there as possible.

ricospaz
    Participant

derm said:
    As a Grandview resident I love it. (Even tho it is not in Grandview). I fail to see how it is pedestrian unfriendly. People have to walk an extra 100 yards? Right now that part of third is a wasteland of old crappy warehouses and dirt. It will have sidewalks and stores in the future. Maybe I am biased as I will enter from Edgehill or First but I dont see the problem with this project. The current Giant Eagle in Grandview loses business daily due to crappy parking and is about 25 yards from the street on two sides and right on Broadview on the other so it is not like the street proximity is helpful and that Giant Eagle is absolutely surrounded by houses, apartments and pedestrians. Almost exactly like the SN Kroger. There are houses ten feet away. As Walker stated, they can turn the lots into anything down the line. NW Realty has had way more homeruns than strikeouts with Columbus development to date. I think moving this to the curb with less parking will hinder people coming to it. Campus kids are not walking here, it is a mile from the Horseshoe as the crow flies, way longer to walk or bike with groceries. Grandview people can walk or bike, the new apartments being built in the area can easily walk or bike. They are building it right next to a couple major neighborhoods, seems very pedestrian friendly to me.

+1 . lot of complainers on here.

JeepGirl
    Participant

Walker said:
    There should be differences.

I’m not saying one is better than the other. There’s room for everyone’s preferences.

But there should be differences.

Separation of Urban and Suburban State, eh?

I’m not trying to be antagonistic, but why? Can’t preferences be blended to a degree or is it a case of one or the other?

It’s hard to tell from the preliminary graphic that was posted, but how is it known that they aren’t intending to include pedestrian friendly features along with ample parking space within this development? It is a huge parcel.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Walker said:
    It sounds like you and I and many others here on CU are urban enthusiasts (or some other similar term). So we’re willing to put up with any sort barriers to be able to walk, bike or bus to our destinations.

Unfortunately, not everyone shares the same sentiment. They won’t be interested in a walkable community if the bare minimum is done to make it walkable. The people I’m talking about are the ones who don’t live in Grandview, OSU, Harrison West or anywhere else nearby. They’re the ones who aren’t considering it.

If this Giant Eagle is no different than the one at Bethel & Sawmill then what’s the difference in choosing where to live? What’s the difference between the urban and suburban experience? If I’m reading you correctly, there isn’t one. Both stores and the infrastructure around them will be designed to accomodate 95%+ customers by car, and there will be a very small percentage of people who choose to bike or walk.

Good urban planning and development is really all that can change that.

You are not reading me correctly. Not at all. To reiterate. I pay extra money to live in Grandview because it is a walking community. I specifically did not choose to live in Hilliard, Dublin, Powell or New Albany, even though I could have had a bigger house and yard because I wanted to live in a walking community. My wife and I looked at them, they were not for us, we bought a house in Grandview. Where in any post did you not get this?

Also, instead of a hypothetical situation, I have actually walked and biked already, many times to the Grandview Yard. Really! There were not any soft barriers, there were no barriers at all. I rode my bike on peaceful, safe, shaded streets easily and in a matter of moments. It was not Sawmill Rd, it was not even Gay St. It was a much more pedestrian friendly experience than people keep telling me I did not experience, nor able to understand.

Here is a thing for the folks telling me how pedestrian unfriendly my experience was, and how I cant seem to comprehend how to walk or bike. Because unlike many I am guessing, I actually do this on occasion. Start on your bike at the Grandview Library, ride down first, cut over on Edgehill and enter the Grandview Yard. Then come over here and tell me about how I have no idea what it is like to have a pedestrian friendly experience, or how I dont understand the difference between the suburbs or dont get urban planning. Sheesh.

ricospaz
    Participant

People are sounding like urban snobs. This isn’t a downtown development people. Ride your bike down 3rd and tell me how safe you feel. there isn’t an infrastructure favorable to peds and bikes yet in this area. And this isn’t Grandview, it’s Columbus.

rus
    rus
    Participant

ricospaz said:
    People are sounding like urban snobs.

No kidding. Apparently if you see a car or parking lot at all it harshes your urban buzz or something.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

JeepGirl said:
    Separation of Urban and Suburban State, eh?

I didn’t say anything like that. Don’t be antagonistic.

JeepGirl said:
    I’m not trying to be antagonistic, but why? Can’t preferences be blended to a degree or is it a case of one or the other?

Oh. You’re not trying to be antagonistic. :P

Sure. There can be a blend. A happy medium is likely to be the best solution. I’m not an extremist calling for the abolition of the automobile. And you’re correct that we don’t fully know what this is going to look like. But there’s no harm in making it heard that you want something *specific* early on, rather than waiting until it’s built to complain about what was left out.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

ricospaz said:
    People are sounding like urban snobs. This isn’t a downtown development people. Ride your bike down 3rd and tell me how safe you feel. there isn’t an infrastructure favorable to peds and bikes yet in this area. And this isn’t Grandview, it’s Columbus.

No need for slinging insults. Having a difference of opinion doesn’t make anyone a snob.

It’s been stated in other discussions here and various news articles that infrastructure updates are being planned in the near future for Third Avenue. New retail being planned for this area should reflect this.

And I don’t think that just because this is located outside of Downtown that it can’t be something that best accommodates multiple mode of transportation and multiple types of customer preferences.

Twixlen
    Participant

But wait – why is it wrong to think that a store being placed so near downtown, near a population of people used to walkability and biking, would see it’s serving a different group of people than the Sawmill Rd folks? I think that’s just good planning, and smarter neighborhood integration – just because code doesn’t force them to front the store nearer the road, with the parking lot in the back, doesn’t mean it might not be smarter development for *that* spot. Why is it wrong to ask that question?

After all – Giant Eagle has a store right on Neil, in the middle of a very residential neighborhood… and that store doesn’t function as well as it could, because when it was built, they simply dropped their store formula into that spot, instead of considering the number of people who’d be on foot or bike to get there.

I don’t think that has anything to do with snobbery or “urbanism” or whatever thang y’all seem to be getting fussy about. It’s OK to have expectations that retailers will pay attention to the needs of the immediate neighborhood (and this includes Harrison West) above their standard boxed out building package.

cheap

this looks a lot like Mill Run in Hilliard,where the closed down Big Bear is.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

derm said:
    You are not reading me correctly. Not at all. To reiterate. I pay extra money to live in Grandview because it is a walking community. I specifically did not choose to live in Hilliard, Dublin, Powell or New Albany, even though I could have had a bigger house and yard because I wanted to live in a walking community. My wife and I looked at them, they were not for us, we bought a house in Grandview. Where in any post did you not get this?

I get that. I don’t think I said anything in contrast to any of that.

derm said:
    Also, instead of a hypothetical situation, I have actually walked and biked already, many times to the Grandview Yard. Really! There were not any soft barriers, there were no barriers at all. I rode my bike on peaceful, safe, shaded streets easily and in a matter of moments. It was not Sawmill Rd, it was not even Gay St. It was a much more pedestrian friendly experience than people keep telling me I did not experience, nor able to understand.

There are few sidewalks between Oxley and Olentangy along this stretch of Third that we’re talking about. Some only exist on one side of the road, and there are stretches where there’s no sidewalk at all. You’re either walking in the grass on cutting through parking lots. Most bus stops are in the grass.

I’m sure you had a perfectly fine bike ride as the road through here is slow and conducive to that, but I don’t see how you can call this a pedestrian friendly environment with no sidewalks:

derm said:
    Here is a thing for the folks telling me how pedestrian unfriendly my experience was, and how I cant seem to comprehend how to walk or bike. Because unlike many I am guessing, I actually do this on occasion. Start on your bike at the Grandview Library, ride down first, cut over on Edgehill and enter the Grandview Yard. Then come over here and tell me about how I have no idea what it is like to have a pedestrian friendly experience, or how I dont understand the difference between the suburbs or dont get urban planning. Sheesh.

I actually said that you sound like an urban enthusiast. I’m not saying that you don’t understand any of this. What I’m saying is that while you’re willing to still consider this area walkable despite a lack of sidewalk infrastructure, other people are not.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 778 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE