Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Grandview Yard Giant Eagle

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Grandview Yard Giant Eagle

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 778 total)
  • Author

Pablo
    Participant

rus said:
    I’d like to see the one on 5th and grandview demolished and turned into a surface parking lot.

Grandview ave has become a destination; for people to go there, there must be adequate parking. Increase available parking and increase visitors.

Preferably surrounded by a rusting chain link fence (for safety).

rus
    rus
    Participant

Pablo said:
    Preferably surrounded by a rusting chain link fence (for safety).

Well if I get to pick then razor wire and a minefield. Towers optional.

Make it feel all homey.

GCrites80s
    Participant

rus said:
    I’d like to see the one on 5th and grandview demolished and turned into a surface parking lot.

Grandview ave has become a destination; for people to go there, there must be adequate parking. Increase available parking and increase visitors.

I’m not even going to justify this with a response.

rus
    rus
    Participant

GCrites80s said:
    I’m not even going to justify this with a response.

Think you just did ;-)

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with more parking for more people?

surber17
    Participant

if the building was built in an “L” shape to wrap around the block the parking could be hidden behind the buildings quite easily

rus
    rus
    Participant

surber17 said:
    if the building was built in an “L” shape to wrap around the block the parking could be hidden behind the buildings quite easily

Might actually fit in with that section also; get some more traffic to the businesses on Ida.

But then I don’t see parking lots as icky. More like a necessity.

GCrites80s
    Participant

rus said:
    Think you just did ;-)

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with more parking for more people?

If parking was the magical solution to development problems then 161, South Hamilton and that strip mall at Sawmill and 270 would be in much better shape wouldn’t they? Parking can actually be quite detrimental to a business because it makes businesses much harder to see — especially smaller ones. How many times have I had to tell you this? I’ve worked at businesses that have failed because people couldn’t see them due to large parking lots and high speed roads in front of them. Too much parking can also make an area lose it’s cachet very quickly. Nobody would care about the Short North if it was all parking lots. Well, whatever, there’s fewer and fewer people that think like you every day.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rus said:
    But then I don’t see parking lots as icky. More like a necessity.

Do you really think that placement would be optimal if it’s to serve the strip of Grandview Avenue? It’s at the far north end. Not exactly a good spot for movie goers or Stauf’s customers.

rus
    rus
    Participant

GCrites80s said:
    If parking was the magical solution to development problems then 161, South Hamilton and that strip mall at Sawmill and 270 would be in much better shape wouldn’t they? Parking can actually be quite detrimental to a business because it makes businesses much harder to see — especially smaller ones. How many times have I had to tell you this? I’ve worked at businesses that have failed because people couldn’t see them due to large parking lots and high speed roads in front of them. Too much parking can also make an area lose it’s cachet very quickly.

Not really applicable here. This section isn’t going to be New Albany; 5th isn’t turning into a freeway.

The business appeal is currently along Grandview. People going to restaurants. You already see the lot facing AAB filled up with people going there or another restaurant on that block.

Grandview ave is the destination and on that street parking is limited / hidden.

People drive. They need some place to leave their cars.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker said:
    Do you really think that placement would be optimal if it’s to serve the strip of Grandview Avenue? It’s at the far north end. Not exactly a good spot for movie goers or Stauf’s customers.

Sure, but at the south end the bank has open parking after 6pm.

Thinking more of AAB, Aladins, Mazah, et. al.

susank

mrpoppinzs said:
    Interesting, from what I understand an Express is around 15,000 sq ft. which I think is about the size of the new downtown Hill’s Market. The Express is supposed to be a little bit upscale and push prepared foods.

http://www.progressivegrocer.com/inprint/article/id628/giant-eagle-s-express-ohhh-/

I wonder if that announcement means they are keeping the Neil Ave store as is?

That is good concept and I think it will work well mixed in with more residential. It would be nice to see this Express version pop up in a few other neighborhoods.

GCrites80s
    Participant

There’s plenty of parking. It is hidden though. We don’t really need the 10% of people who lack cunning ruining our built environment. And people wonder what happened to American Ingenuity.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Parking can actually be quite detrimental to a business because it makes businesses much harder to see — especially smaller ones. How many times have I had to tell you this?

You’re probably the one who pointed out the difference between the Dublin and Columbus sides of Sawmill. On the Dublin (west) side there’s shrubbery and a glimpse of empty storefronts, seen across empty parking lots. On the Columbus side, it’s roadside signs and storefronts and busy lots.

rus
    rus
    Participant

GCrites80s said:
    There’s plenty of parking. It is hidden though. We don’t really need the 10% of people who lack cunning ruining our built environment. And people wonder what happened to American Ingenuity.

That gets back to the previous discussion on area familiarity.

Make it easy for people to get there even if they don’t know the area and you’ll get more people. Lowers the threshold for new visitors.

ETA: I’m not saying rip up the businesses on Grandview and replace them with parking, I’m saying this existing surface lot could be expanded with the removal of the building and serve as parking for the area.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rus said:
    I’m saying this existing surface lot could be expanded with the removal of the building and serve as parking for the area.

Are you saying this is something the City of Columbus should pay for (with public tax dollars) as a free parking lot (to service businesses half located in Columbus and half in Grandview Heights)?

Or a private developer should do it and charge money and make a business of it?

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 778 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION