Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Grandview Yard Giant Eagle

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Grandview Yard Giant Eagle

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 778 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

bucki12 said:
    I think they had lofty goals for a more ‘Town Center’ mall style mixed development that are not panning out due to the economy and lack of retail interest. The parking lots seem more like a quick solution to all the empty space.

To their credit, NRI built out the Arena District with a whole lot of surface parking lots in place on day one. Only recently have they been filling in some of the final ones:

Arena District Plans for Future Residential Development

Surface parking lots are probably one of the easiest things to replace and develop upon in the longer term view.

bucki12

It is taking up a large plat of urban land. Kind of a similar argument on a micro scale concerns the lot at 5th and High. It is true that they can develop the lots and they probably will in time. It is a quick fix for all the land.

Regardless, I think the grocery store will be well received and probably the vast majority of people would not be walking there to buy groceries anyway.

I think the SN Kroger is great and I often walk or ride a bike there, but it is in a very dense urban area.

MRipley
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    @MRipley: a grocer set back (way back) from the street with surface parking in front and four outlots for individual retail establishments = Sawmill Road, Morse Road, Hilliard Rome Road = NOT pedestrian friendly = not fit for the neighborhood = VERY disappointing.

Wouldn’t it depend on where you were walking from? In the image someone posted it looks like the folks in the nearby residential homes/condos could easily walk to any of the stores if they desired.

futureman
    Participant

My issue is that is classic suburban sprawl type of development, but even their website states a different goal –

Nationwide Realty Investors is transforming a once vacant site into Grandview Yard, a vibrant urban neighborhood near the heart of Columbus, Ohio. This supremely located 100-acre site is transforming daily into a well-planned, mixed-use development that will more than double the jobs in this small community.”

http://www.grandviewyard.com/futureplansleasing.aspx

Explain to me how a huge setback with a one story 90K sf grocery store and four outlots with drive thru’s is “vibrant urban neighborhood”. What a bad joke. This is becoming Lennox Town Center Phase 2.

Pablo
    Participant

NerosNeptune said:
    I was going to post that it will unfortunately make a hideous bike/pedestrian barrier between Grandview and Vic Village, but it looks like it stays in between Goodale and 3rd.

The Giant Eagle site is north of 3rd, just off of the left side of the image Walker posted. The site plan is “urban” like Lennox is “urban”. If it was suburban there would be giant landscaped mounds separating each land use…

futureman
    Participant

Pablo said:
    The Giant Eagle site is north of 3rd, just off of the left side of the image Walker posted. The site plan is “urban” like Lennox is “urban”. If it was suburban there would be giant landscaped mounds separating each land use…

From Business First, the area north of 3rd Ave

from this article – http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2012/03/16/giant-eagle-gives-nod-to-putting.html

cheap

NerosNeptune said:
    Well, the first thing they list under Highlights and “Comprehensive Amenities” is ample parking.

They can build whatever they want, but it seems weird to put a decades out of date suburban complex, complete with parking wastelands, on the other side of the 315/I670 spaghetti and call it “a vibrant urban neighborhood”

urban living is just a new suburb

derm
    derm
    Participant

As a Grandview resident I love it. (Even tho it is not in Grandview). I fail to see how it is pedestrian unfriendly. People have to walk an extra 100 yards? Right now that part of third is a wasteland of old crappy warehouses and dirt. It will have sidewalks and stores in the future. Maybe I am biased as I will enter from Edgehill or First but I dont see the problem with this project. The current Giant Eagle in Grandview loses business daily due to crappy parking and is about 25 yards from the street on two sides and right on Broadview on the other so it is not like the street proximity is helpful and that Giant Eagle is absolutely surrounded by houses, apartments and pedestrians. Almost exactly like the SN Kroger. There are houses ten feet away. As Walker stated, they can turn the lots into anything down the line. NW Realty has had way more homeruns than strikeouts with Columbus development to date. I think moving this to the curb with less parking will hinder people coming to it. Campus kids are not walking here, it is a mile from the Horseshoe as the crow flies, way longer to walk or bike with groceries. Grandview people can walk or bike, the new apartments being built in the area can easily walk or bike. They are building it right next to a couple major neighborhoods, seems very pedestrian friendly to me.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

derm said:They are building it right next to a couple major neighborhoods, seems very pedestrian friendly to me.

So does this Kroger….

Oh… Wait….?

derm
    derm
    Participant

Josh, I am not getting you with the pic. Please explain to me how it could be more pedestrian friendy to move the Giant Eagle closer to the road and instead of parking lots put in garages or some such.

futureman
    Participant

joshlapp said:
    So does this Kroger….

Oh… Wait….?

+1 This sounds exactly what happened with the Brewery District Kroger. Cramming a suburban style store into an urban layout. They didn’t even line up the crosswalk from Brewers Yard as three out of the four end into curbs…

again per Grandview Yard website –

Nationwide Realty Investors is transforming a once vacant site into Grandview Yard, a vibrant urban neighborhood near the heart of Columbus, Ohio.

What is urban about a huge setback with one story buildings and outlots with drive thru’s?

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

derm said:
    Josh, I am not getting you with the pic. Please explain to me how it could be more pedestrian friendy to move the Giant Eagle closer to the road and instead of parking lots put in garages or some such.

I would think its obvious. Are you more likely to walk to somewhere that is up against the street and easy to walk to or 100 yards away where to have to walk through a parking lot full of cars fighting over the closest parking spot and not paying attention to you?

Also which is more appealing to the eye? Its time we stopped building for cars and start building for people. Even by putting the parking in the back or on the side you are vastly improving the pedestrian experience which barely impacting the driving experience.

futureman
    Participant

derm said:

It’s about new urbanism and the relationship of buildings with the street and how that impacts pedestrians. This is worth a quick read –

http://fullyarticulated.typepad.com/sprawledout/the-setback.html

anillo
    Participant

Walking over a giant parking lot during the summer sucks too.

derm
    derm
    Participant

I understand what you all are saying about incorporating a building or business within a city, but that is not really the case here. This is being incorporated into the side of a neighborhood, with the other side being a big road and a river. And the nieghborhood it is closest to is easily walkable to.

Grocery stores also dont lend well to the majority of people walking to them or biking to them in most cases. Sort of like a lumber yard or a cinder block store. Most carry bags of things with some weight out of them. Or frozen things, or multiple bags. Very different then going to a restaurant or coffee shop or a music store or a park. Most people drive to be able to get stuff home. I went to Kroger for two things today and I drove. They were 30# of cat litter and a sixteen pound bag of cat food. Not doable on a bike and not fun walking.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 778 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE