Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Grandview Yard Giant Eagle

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Grandview Yard Giant Eagle

This topic contains 777 replies, has 94 voices, and was last updated by  RedStorm 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 778 total)
  • Author

tonloc620
    Participant

I just got a copy of the site plan for the Giant Eagle being built by Nationwide Realty investor’s on the north side of Third Ave across from Grandview Yard. There are no less than 6,000 parking spaces, the store sits as far away from the road as possible, and there are 4 outlots with drive thru’s, not very pedestrian fiendly to me. This does not belong in our neighborhood, it belongs on Sawmill Road. If anyone is interested in helping make a change to this call me at 614-565-6898 or email me at [email protected].

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Can you post said copy?

I agree that it doesn’t sound good, however I don’t think 6,000 spaces is accurate for just the grocery. For comparison, the Columbus Commons above-ground garage has 3,600 spaces and is a pretty massive structure.

MRipley
    Participant

Just curious, why would it not be pedestrian friendly?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

@mripley: a grocer set back (way back) from the street with surface parking in front and four outlots for individual retail establishments = Sawmill Road, Morse Road, Hilliard Rome Road = NOT pedestrian friendly = not fit for the neighborhood = VERY disappointing.

leftovers

Have to hold judgement until I see more, but this does not surprise me. I think the Short North Kroger did a great job as far as an urban design and was hoping this project would follow suit.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Image of the master plan from GVY’s website:

I don’t believe this is absolutely definitive though, nor does it show all of the land north of Third.

columbusmike
    Participant

Yeah, talk about a disappointment. The zoning code does not prohibit this type of development, so a big chunk of the blame is on us for not demanding city to change their codes.

Is this land owned by Nationwide Realty?

cheap

6000 parking spots??

tonloc620 said:
    This does not belong in our neighborhood, it belongs on Sawmill Road. If anyone is interested in helping make a change to this call me at 614-565-6898 or email me at [email protected].

evidently,it’s not just “your” neighborhood.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

Maybe they want to cater to people from those areas (Sawmill, Hilliard-Rome) who want to live “downtown” but still feel at home in large parking fields.

I was going to post that it will unfortunately make a hideous bike/pedestrian barrier between Grandview and Vic Village, but it looks like it stays in between Goodale and 3rd.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

cheap said:
    6000 parking spots??

Well, the first thing they list under Highlights and “Comprehensive Amenities” is ample parking.

They can build whatever they want, but it seems weird to put a decades out of date suburban complex, complete with parking wastelands, on the other side of the 315/I670 spaghetti and call it “a vibrant urban neighborhood”

bucki12

I think they had lofty goals for a more ‘Town Center’ mall style mixed development that are not panning out due to the economy and lack of retail interest. The parking lots seem more like a quick solution to all the empty space.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Ughh. These are the same two entities that were proposing a dense-development grocery store with parking garage in the arena district only a couple years ago?

What a difference a few years makes. This is an extremely disappointing way to do what could be a promising new development.

Big ol’ thumbs down to this crap.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

columbusmike said:
    Is this land owned by Nationwide Realty?

The Giant Eagle site? Yes.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

In all fairness to a project we all see as a lame mini Easton awkwardly plopped down in Grandview, it seems to be nicely tucked away where it won’t bother anyone too much, and will at least aid in bringing some suburban people closer to the center rather than building this exact same thing out past whatever the furthest/most desirable exurb is this year. And it’s not like there’s something cool there right now that it’s displacing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 778 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Join us for the Beer & Pretzel Pairing Party on November 3rd featuring Combustion Brewing & Happy Little Treats!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO