Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Grandview Theatre introduction and update

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Grandview Theatre introduction and update

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author

sixby9is42

aaminian wrote >>

dnedrow wrote >>

HighLife wrote Any chance you’ll be getting a liquor license?

No. That’s really not something I want to pursue right now. Frankly, policing drinkers and worrying about liability aren’t things I look forward to.There are plenty of restaurants in the Grandview area, so having dinner and a drink before the film are easily doable. It’s a little different up where Studio 35 operates, as it is relatively isolated.Plans may change, but for now no liquor.-David

Crappola. That’s one thing I was REALLY hoping for…

The Dispatch mentioned this:

“Changes more immediately visible to patrons will be refurbished seats as well as a concession stand that will eventually serve beer, wine, liquor and hot foods.”

futureman
    Participant

Did anyone else go to the Manhattan Shorts this past weekend? Really enjoyed all of them and it was great to see the theater coming along. The bathrooms were by far the biggest change so far, much nicer than the old mop closets of the past.

sixby9is42

Today is the first day for regular business! “Everybody’s Fine” is showing.

http://grandviewtheatre.net/

catnfiddle
    Participant

I was on the fence about seeing this particular movie, but if I can get to a theater within walking / cycling distance, I’ll be happy to catch it this weekend! YAY!

aaminian
    Participant

sixby9is42 wrote >>

NICE! Cheers David!

rus
    rus
    Participant

sixby9is42 wrote >>

Congrats!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Brant
    Participant

Received this email blast from the Grandview Theatre mailing list. Doesn’t sound like a very good sign…

[b]We need a few volunteers![/b]
    This is the opening weekend of Robin Hood, and we’d like to ask people to volunteer for a couple of specific jobs – Ticket Takers, Concession Help/Post-Show Sweeper Uppers.

We’ll provide tickets to “Robin Hood” for you and a friend. See it while you’re helping out, or come back later for a more relaxing time!

Call me at 614-209-2443 if you’d like to help out. We’re looking for a couple of people for each of our shows this weekend, particulary Friday and Saturday night…

We look forward to hearing from you.

David

Core_Models

From the reviews, I’d be more likely to volunteer if they promised I wouldn’t have to see Robin Hood.

futureman
    Participant

Old area theaters still showing movies a rare gem
    BUSINESS FIRST OF COLUMBUS – BY Dan Eaton
    Friday, October 1, 2010 | Modified: Tuesday, October 5, 2010, 8:00am EDT

To movie fans, time and commerce have paved paradise and put up a Taco Bell.

Or a hotel.
    Or a gym.

Many of the classic one- or two-screen movie houses are gone, either demolished to make way for new development or repurposed for other uses, leaving ticket boxes and facades still visible to the trained eye, or in some cases still standing, but vacant.

David Nedrow is one of many witnesses. One of his favorite old theaters, the Boulevard at 1312 W. Fifth Ave., was bulldozed to clear a lot for what now houses Taco Bell and Chipotle restaurants. He spent years managing the Drexel North, formerly the Beechwold Theater and Camelot North, which now is Columbus Sports Connection gym, 4250 N. High St.

His experience fueled the decision to, along with wife, Jennifer Stancel, take over the Grandview Theater, 1247 Grandview Ave., in late 2008.

READ MORE

cc

futureman
    Participant

cc wrote >>
    http://www.cinematour.com/theatres/us/OH/5.html

I had no idea the Taco Bell on 5th and NW used to be the site of a 900 seat theater. That’s almost the capacity of the Clintonville Theater.

Also check out page 2 in the article before business first makes it subscription only, it talks about the Clintonville theater.

brandonphoto
    Participant

A photo of The Boulevard, quite a nice building

brandonphoto
    Participant

futureman
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: