Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Grandview Theatre introduction and update

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Grandview Theatre introduction and update

This topic contains 34 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by Jeffersin Jeffersin 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author

dnedrow
    Participant

2008-11-01 22:45

Grandview Theatre

I thought it might be time to start a new thread re: the Grandview Theatre.

A brief introduction…

I’m David Nedrow.

I grew up primarily in small towns in Ohio, New Cumberland and Mineral City to name two of them. The first movie I remember seeing was Disney’s 1969 re-release of “Peter Pan” at an old theatre in Mineral City. Late at night a few years later, the roof of this theatre collapsed under the weight of a heavy snowfall and the entire building was subsequently razed. My first theater-related “bummer”.

My family moved to Lancaster, OH, where I graduated from Lancaster High School in 1982.

In 1987, I received my first college degree, a BA in Film from OSU. I later received a BS in Computor Science from Franklin University, and have a few hours left ’til an MS in CS, also from Franklin.

I started making movies when I was 8. The stories were made up on the spot, and generally “starred” any number of friends and their pets. Many of these films have not stood the test of time. Acting styles and special effects have changed. No longer can a seven year-old pretend to drive over a cliff in a rusted out 1940 Ford truck (stuck in a hay field), which, when it explodes, somehow becomes a Tonka dump truck filled with hay, fire crackers, and gasoline. Today’s audiences simply wouldn’t buy it. ;)

I was both an assistant manager and manager at the Drexel North for, I think, 7 years. I was there when Bruce Bartoo came along and brought us the 24-hour Science Fiction Marathons (and their offspring). The DN had a couple of things going for it — it had an enormous auditorium (800+ seats) and, subsequent to Cinema East closing, the widest scope screen in Columbus.

I know people have questioned whether we know what we’re getting into. We most certainly do. We have no illusions as to how much work, dedication, and money this will take.

My wife and I have one goal: keep the Grandview Theatre operating as a movie theater, and hopefully provide enough extra money for us to pay our bills at home. Clearly, a 300 seat theater isn’t going to make anyone rich, but I believe it can be successful in its own right.

As many of you have read, Jennifer and I plan renovating the interior. The landlady is very excited about us taking this on, and her team will be doing maintenance on the exterior (starting tomorrow, actually). We’re planning on a whole new environment for the interior and are talking with several interior designers who specialize in renovations and venue decorating. The existing concession stand will be demolished and replaced with a new, streamlined counter. We will work with the designer to come up with a means of mitigating the light that spills into the auditorium through the large picture window above the stand. This will allow us to actually light the inner lobby AND prevent steam from the popper entering and distorting the beam path of the projector.

Jeff and I have agreed to a transfer of ownership for all of the equipment in the theater. I will be working with a technician to fully evaluate the booth equipment to see what is salvageable and what needs replaced. I know at the minimum that a second projector must be added so that we are able to run studio archive prints. We have budgeted for a completely new booth if that becomes necessary. There are two things that a theater MUST provide to its patrons — a steady, keystone corrected, fully focused image on the screen, and sound that is clear and intelligible. I think many of you who have been to the theater in the past few years are aware that those are current problems. We plan on addressing both of them.

Some people are worried that we may be underestimating our costs on this. Don’t worry. I’ve been working the cost/benefit, budgrting, and capital numbers for two months now. We know how much we can spend, and we know how much we need in reserve to take us through the lean times. Others wonder why we would consider putting so much of our own money into a facility we don’t own. This happens all the time in the restaurant business. You have a leased space that you need to turn into and environment that pulls people in and keeps them coming back. Or, at least not saying, “I’ll never go there again”. ;)

We are also planning fund raising events to raise money for “extra” equipment and renovation work that we would like to have and do, but simply can’t be fit into our opening budget. Of particular interest is raising money for a physically new projection booth and a Digital Cinema installation (in parallel with the film projectors) in 2010. Another project that will need a creative solution is expanding the bathrooms to provide more comfort and handicap accessibility.

Oh, one more note before I open the floor to questions. The theater will once again be accepting the four major credit cards. National City (now PNC ?) has really helped get all of those pieces in place. Thank you Bill Hamm.

Now, any questions?

daniel

no questions, just a hearty good luck, and relief that you know what you’re doing. Congrats on buying the place!

dnedrow
    Participant

daniel wrote no questions, just a hearty good luck, and relief that you know what you’re doing. Congrats on buying the place!

Thanks.

And just to clarify, we are leasing the building.

David

golden

dnedrow wrote Grandview Theatre

We’re planning on a whole new environment for the interior and are talking with several interior designers who specialize in renovations and venue decorating.

Now, any questions?

Hopefully you will be keeping it classic?

The other thing I would mention is that the best theater experience I’ve had came from the Vista Theatre in Los Angeles. It seemed to me a case study of how to successfully operate a single screen theater in the age of multiplexes.

1. The sound and projection were always perfect.

2. The screen was appropriately sized for the room. Not too large.

3. Every row had tons of legroom. I’d guess at least 5 feet. No standing up to let a person in or out of the row. You couldn’t kick the seat in front of you if you tried.

This isn’t the greatest picture but you can probably get a sense of how much space there is between the rows. It was actually priced slightly cheaper than the multiplexes but they were somehow able to resist the temptation to arrange the seating like a discount airline.

I avoided going to busy shows at multiplexes but at the Vista I always knew that if I got a ticket, no matter where I sat it would be comfortable and look great.

I don’t know if reducing capacity is workable for you or not but it gets my vote.

Best wishes on the project!

dnedrow
    Participant

golden wrote

Hopefully you will be keeping it classic?

The other thing I would mention is that the best theater experience I’ve had came from the Vista Theatre in Los Angeles. It seemed to me a case study of how to successfully operate a single screen theater in the age of multiplexes.

I don’t know if reducing capacity is workable for you or not but it gets my vote.

Best wishes on the project!

Holy moly, the seating sounds nice but there’s no way to do that at the Grandview. We would basically be removing every other row and that leaves only about 120 seats in our situation. I do like the decor in the picture.

We will not be going too far afield in the decorating. The theater has already had one MAJOR modification in the past, so in many ways it can never “be” what it once was. We want to develop a design that is evocative of the 20’s, but with a more modern palette. We are also considering adding decorative elements from some of the (now long closed) theaters that used to dot Grandview, eg the Boulevard, The Arlington, etc.

-David

HighLife
    Participant

Any chance you’ll be getting a liquor license?

dnedrow
    Participant

HighLife wrote Any chance you’ll be getting a liquor license?

No. That’s really not something I want to pursue right now. Frankly, policing drinkers and worrying about liability aren’t things I look forward to.

There are plenty of restaurants in the Grandview area, so having dinner and a drink before the film are easily doable. It’s a little different up where Studio 35 operates, as it is relatively isolated.

Plans may change, but for now no liquor.

-David

dnedrow
    Participant

https://grandviewtheatre.net/wordpress/

I hope to make daily posts letting everyone know how it’s going. Includes pictures! ;-)

zp945
    Participant

congrats and good luck. I will be sure to check it out, it sounds like you will be addressing the few issues that kept me away from the Drexel.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

I thought your idea of reaching out to under-served populations was a great one. I bet a rotation of Bollywood, Spanish language and Somali oriented films would keep the place pretty packed, given that there isn’t any real competition for those markets.

I know there is at least one local Somali filmmaker — if you showed his films, you might get some non-Somali viewers just interested in the local connection.

Another idea might be to specialize in cult classics –for instance, I’m probably not the only person on these boards who would be eager to see “The Warriors” on the big screen.

Here’s another concept — hold a monthly online event, where people vote on what film they want to see. The only catch –in order to vote, you have to pledge to buy a ticket if your choice wins!

dnedrow
    Participant

kitoba wrote I thought your idea of reaching out to under-served populations was a great one.

Yep, right now you virtually never see anything from Africa or the Middle East. Eastern Europe is also under represented.

kitoba wrote I know there is at least one local Somali filmmaker

Feel free to forward any contacts.

kitoba wrote Another idea might be to specialize in cult classics

Jen and I have been discussing that. Maybe one a month, or maybe even a week long event once or twice a year.

kitoba wrote Here’s another concept — hold a monthly online event, where people vote on what film they want to see. The only catch –in order to vote, you have to pledge to buy a ticket if your choice wins!

Hmm. That’s interesting, though I’m not sure how workable it is. I’ll check around to see if anyone else has tried this and, if so, how they did it.

-David

sixby9is42

Cinema sets brief reopening

Planned cost: $50K
    Actual cost: $250K

Rockmastermike
    Participant

sixby9is42 wrote >>

YIKES!

aaminian
    Participant

dnedrow wrote >>

HighLife wrote Any chance you’ll be getting a liquor license?

No. That’s really not something I want to pursue right now. Frankly, policing drinkers and worrying about liability aren’t things I look forward to.There are plenty of restaurants in the Grandview area, so having dinner and a drink before the film are easily doable. It’s a little different up where Studio 35 operates, as it is relatively isolated.Plans may change, but for now no liquor.-David

Crappola. That’s one thing I was REALLY hoping for…

michaelcoyote
    Participant

sixby9is42 wrote >>

You know I bet if they wandered down to DF and talked to Harold and/or Liz they would get plenty of comiseration.. Starting a “small” business when you have to remodel ain’t no joke…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Join us for the Beer & Pretzel Pairing Party on November 3rd featuring Combustion Brewing & Happy Little Treats!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO