Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Grandview Ave & Dublin Rd Redeveopment

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Grandview Ave & Dublin Rd Redeveopment

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 142 total)
  • Author

ricospaz
    Participant

umm no? Do you recall the old motel and restaurant that sat at GV and Dublin road. I realize part of the project is east along Dublin Road but it butts up against GV Ave.

cbus11

You might be right. Though I think it may be the chunk missing in the corner. The hotel had a long thin boundary edge.

I do remember once their sign saying half off during fumigation.

ricospaz
    Participant

haha. good stuff. I guess way back when there was a swimming hole around there. I’ve seen some old pics at the Grandview library.

johnwirtz
    Participant

Walker said:
    Personally, I’m more concerned with what can be done from the public side of things with infrastructure improvements along Dublin Road. That area needs sidewalks, medians, street trees, traffic calming and other features that make it more than just a 50-mph speedway.

I think the way buildings address the street is just as important to the feel as the sidewalks, trees, and so forth.

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

johnwirtz said:
    I think the way buildings address the street is just as important to the feel as the sidewalks, trees, and so forth.

Agreed. And that would be an issue to address with the buildings that face the street. This proposed development largely does not. It sits behind them.

johnwirtz
    Participant

Walker said:
    This proposed development largely does not. It sits behind them.

And that’s the problem. This is what will make it continue to feel like a high speed roadway.

GCrites80s
    Participant

We might be stuck with Dublin Road being like that for a while, if not forever. It doesn’t really have much potential since it’s kind of a semi-rural road anyway. We’ve got lots of other places much more ripe for urban revitalization.

Jason Powell
    Participant

^^Disagree, not with the last sentence but the first. No road/corridor is beyond help or repair.

JeepGirl
    Participant

futureman said:
    Yep, it certainly won’t win any awards.

Is that the goal?

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

GCrites80s said:
    We might be stuck with Dublin Road being like that for a while, if not forever. It doesn’t really have much potential since it’s kind of a semi-rural road anyway. We’ve got lots of other places much more ripe for urban revitalization.

What does semi-rural mean? The stretch of Dublin Road between Downtown to 5th Avenue is lined with office parks and limited amounts of retail and is adjacent to quite a few dense urban neighborhoods.

If anything, the road is currently more in the “suburban feeder” format with no sidewalks and wide lanes for 50mph traffic.

MAmicon
    Participant

The goal is to TIF the site to do road improvements to Dublin Rd….as for the site plan, it’s a moving target…the density of the development will be dictated by what kind of interest we can generate from potential end users.

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Good to hear on the TIF plan. Thanks for the update! ;)

GCrites80s
    Participant

Walker said:
    What does semi-rural mean? The stretch of Dublin Road between Downtown to 5th Avenue is lined with office parks and limited amounts of retail and is adjacent to quite a few dense urban neighborhoods.

If anything, the road is currently more in the “suburban feeder” format with no sidewalks and wide lanes for 50mph traffic.

That’s more along the lines of what I was thinking in that particular area. The more semi-rural stuff is closer to Lane.

placebohigh
    Participant

The Loose Goose Tavern and Grill also recently opened in this area. And I had no idea that Steak Escape was there until recently. Seems like there’s a lot of potential to develop the area…I know I usually stop going down Grandview Ave for things to do (restaurants/coffee shops) once it gets residential heading from 5th and not from the interstate.

futureman
    Participant

Not much new information, although it does cover more of the background of the site being an unregulated landfill.

[b]Former landfill site still years away from development[/b]
    * Franklin County and a local developer hope a $3 million grant will help to build offices, retail and restaurants at Grandview Crossing.
    By MARK DUBOVEC
    Published: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 5:06 PM EST
    [i]
    Franklin County and its development partner hope a $3 million state grant will spur the redevelopment of a vacant landfill that straddles the Grandview-Columbus border.

(…)

According to the application summary by Franklin County, the area originally was the bulk of two farms until the 1920s and was used during the 1930s and ’40s as a sand and gravel quarry. The site was purchased by Thomas L.Kaplin in 1948 and used as a garbage site for nearby communities until about 1960.

In the late 1950s, the J. Texas Howard Organization began operating the property, accepting a variety of waste, including construction fill, demolition debris, metal parts, tires, drums and industrial waste. The site was shut down by Columbus in 1967 because of complaints from local residents and determination by the city that the landfill was “unsatisfactory.”[/i]

READ MORE: http://www.snponline.com/articles/2012/02/08/tri-village_news/news/tvgrandvie_20120206_1243pm_10.txt

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 142 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.