Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Grandview Ave & Dublin Rd Redeveopment

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Grandview Ave & Dublin Rd Redeveopment

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 142 total)
  • Author

futureman
    Participant

johnwirtz said:
    Looks dull

Yep, it certainly won’t win any awards.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

I’m just glad their building. I mean it’s better to have something, than nothing.

leftovers

Pickerington_Kyle said:
    I’m just glad their building. I mean it’s better to have something, than nothing.

There is such a glut of office space in the Columbus regional area. In my mind this is like building another mall with the subsized cleanup $$$ being the real impetus.

swinzo1010
    Participant

Scioto Bike Trail[/url]

Is this the connection for the scioto trail mentioned above? I was having trouble finding Souder Ave.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

leftovers said:
    There is such a glut of office space in the Columbus regional area.

What is the current vacancy rate for office space in the region and how does that compare to the national average?

futureman
    Participant

swinzo1010 said:
    Scioto Bike Trail[/url]

Is this the connection for the scioto trail mentioned above? I was having trouble finding Souder Ave.

Yes, and Souder Ave is more towards downtown (not on that map), next to 315

leftovers

Walker said:
    What is the current vacancy rate for office space in the region and how does that compare to the national average?

My point is that building for the sake of building is not always wise. It is easier to attract tenants to ‘new’ developements, but that leaves a lot of older developements in trouble. The Wagenbrenner owned office building at the corner of NW and Goodale is a prime example.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

God that looks aweful. Suburbia is actually moving towards downtown. I really cannot wait until gas hits $5 a gallon. Only then will developers and planners smarten up.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

leftovers said:
    My point is that building for the sake of building is not always wise.

What does “building for the sake of building” mean?

leftovers

Walker said:
    What does “building for the sake of building” mean?

unsustainable growth

It originally was in responce to Kyle’s quote:
    “I’m just glad their building. I mean it’s better to have something, than nothing.”

futureman
    Participant

Keep in mind that in the article the build out was going to take “several years”.

To put this in perspective, the cost of this development is $34 million vs Grandview Yard which is projected to cost $660 million ($500 million private, $160 million Public).

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

leftovers said:
    unsustainable growth

It originally was in responce to Kyle’s quote:
    “I’m just glad their building. I mean it’s better to have something, than nothing.”

Gotcha.

I agree there should be a thoughtful process behind new development, and certainly a look a regional impact on vacancies and usability is in order rather than just one company fighting for their own piece of the pie (where we all collectively lose when spaces go vacant).

I was just wondering if there was any raw data to back up this claim that this development is unneeded in that area. I have no idea what office vacancy rates in that immediate area are like, and no idea what *type* of office space this even is, compared to other types available in the area.

As for the development itself, it does look quite suburban from 30,000 feet with the large swaths of parking lots, but I do appreciate that the majority of it will be hidden from view from Dublin Road and Grandview Avenue. Parking for office workers in this area seems like a necessity, as it’s a bit isolated. Consolidated parking into a garage structure would have been better from the urbanist standpoint, but I imagine that can always be done down the road if the demand is high enough.

Personally, I’m more concerned with what can be done from the public side of things with infrastructure improvements along Dublin Road. That area needs sidewalks, medians, street trees, traffic calming and other features that make it more than just a 50-mph speedway.

saywhat2

jpizzow said:
    God that looks aweful. Suburbia is actually moving towards downtown. I really cannot wait until gas hits $5 a gallon. Only then will developers and planners smarten up.

Right on! $5/gallon gas in the name of urban aesthetic value? You betcha!

ricospaz
    Participant

Anything is better than that old mold-ridden motel that sat there forever.

cbus11

Do not believe that particular parcel is part of this.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 142 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: