Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Grandview Ave & Dublin Rd Redeveopment

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Grandview Ave & Dublin Rd Redeveopment

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 142 total)
  • Author

futureman
    Participant

Its been a long time since any new information has come about about the redevelopment of this site – Grandview Ave & Dublin Rd (37 acres on a former landfill). At one point a Walmart and other large big box stores were proposed as well as the Grandview Station which was a mixed use projects. Neither of these project have moved forward, with the exception of the small commerical strip completed back in 2009.

Wagenbrenner IDs Kaplin landfill site for redevelopment

Brian R. Ball

Staff reporter – Business First

Wagenbrenner Development Inc. plans to take on yet another brownfield redevelopment project if it can get financial aid to determine environmental hurdles at the former Kaplin landfill along Dublin Road in Columbus.

The 35-acre property, along with a former hotel and restaurant site at Dublin Road and Grandview Avenue, was part of a planned development that Cincinnati-based Bear Creek Capital had targeted for a Walmart Supercenter about seven years ago. It walked away from the project in 2007.

Wagenbrenner Development hasn’t finalized its plans but expects to build a mix of retail, medical offices and multifamily housing at the site. The former quarry served as an unregulated landfill from 1950 through 1967, according to the application for the city grant, accepting construction, industrial and municipal waste.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2011/11/04/wagenbrenner-ids-another-site-for.html

Ugh. Glad the Wal-mart never happened. I think some sort of mixed use development would be the best thing that could happen at this site. It could be another Grandview Yard perhaps, but smaller.

columbusmike
    Participant

More people closer to downtown = good. I hope they do something nice here (dense mixed use), but it’s sort of one of those locations where…it’s not a big deal if they do the typical, stick and mortar developer build-out.

EDIT
    They could develop the site with an anticipated light rail station directly to the north….

Analogue Kid
    Participant

From an environmental standpoint, this is going to be a nightmare to develop. At least with Gowdy Field, you knew it was a municipal landfill. This area probably has much more dangerous substances from accepting industrial waste, not to mention the difficulty of putting a building over an area where the bedrock is much deeper than usual (settling issues). Personally, I wouldn’t touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Perhaps this could be made a park a la Freshkills

futureman
    Participant

This is what was proposed back in 2005 –

Larger Image – http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/7967/grandviewstationsiteplan7je.jpg

leftovers

Part of me wishes there was a walmart closer to the core.

columbusmike
    Participant

futureman said:
    This is what was proposed back in 2005 –

Larger Image – http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/7967/grandviewstationsiteplan7je.jpg

I don’t mind that plan as long as the “outlots” (god, I hate that term) are developed with zero setback/zero lot line 2-story minimum buildings. What happens behind them doesn’t matter as much.

leftovers

^ most of this property is not street adjacent.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Development of this site is good news, but something *really* needs to be done with the roads through here. Dublin Road / Route 33 is a highway through here. I can’t imagine anyone wanting to cross those crosswalks to go from their new home to Rancho Allegre. Portions of Dublin Road don’t even have sidewalks through there.

Could really use a Complete Streets makeover.

columbusmike
    Participant

Walker said:
    Development of this site is good news, but something *really* needs to be done with the roads through here.

Could really use a Complete Streets makeover.

Completely agree. Both Grandview and 33 are basically highways that were never intended to be 50 mph streets. It would be nice to see a separated bike lane from North Bank Park all the way to Hayden Run. Traffic gets pretty congested in this corridor, but at some point Columbus needs to move towards more public transit/alternative infrastructure or we’ll all be waiting in traffic to get anywhere.

futureman
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    Completely agree. Both Grandview and 33 are basically highways that were never intended to be 50 mph streets. It would be nice to see a separated bike lane from North Bank Park all the way to Hayden Run. Traffic gets pretty congested in this corridor, but at some point Columbus needs to move towards more public transit/alternative infrastructure or we’ll all be waiting in traffic to get anywhere.

Sounds an awful like the Scioto Bike trail which will eventually make it to 270

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I hope this turns out more like Grandview Yard. I DO NOT want to see big box stores with outlots in front. Good lord, aren’t we past that yet?! And yes, S.R. 33 definately needs a road diet.

columbusmike
    Participant

Simple/Cheap Road Diet:

(although, a mighty wide turn lane. Rather see this landscaped)

AMEEKER
    Participant

A bit off topic…

We were at the Steak Escape there a few weeks ago in the evening and the manager seemed downright thrilled to see anyone after daytime business hours. Puzzled almost! He asked us what part of town we were from and what brought us here, in the same strange tone you would ask a tourist. When we told him we were from up the hill he asked us what he could do to get more people from “that area of town” to come down for dinner. He went on to talk about how during the day of course, it’s madness on Dublin Rd., but at night it’s a ghost town. I assume he’s not from ’round here, because he asked “Don’t people live around here? I mean, I think there are neighborhoods all around here, and it’s pretty close to downtown. You’d think this area would have some decent traffic at night, or that people would walk down here for dinner.”

We asked him about the adjacent stores and what what happening there… he said, “All I know is that there is a nail salon going “opening soon,” but you can go in and see that there is still gravel on the floor and has been that way for a year. The developers haven’t told us anything about anything else happening here. I just hope they do something soon.”

He sounded a bit dejected! I’m guessing he will be glad to have some company – whether it’s a big box store, an apartment complex or finally getting a nail salon!

futureman
    Participant

The more a think about it the mixed use aspect may look a lot like Watermark development just down the street. I’m hoping the apartments/condos won’t be made with the quality Watermark project was – rather cheap and not built to last.

Dargusch: Reviving Kaplin landfill site rich with potential
    Brian R. Ball
    Staff reporter – Business First

The thought of redeveloping a former landfill between the Franklin County Engineer’s Office and Grandview Avenue along Dublin Road near downtown Columbus gets an endorsement from the developer of a neighboring retail center.

Wagenbrenner Development Inc. has applied for Green Columbus Fund assistance to study environmental problems beneath the surface of the vacant Kaplin landfill. Test results could prompt the developer to seek up to $3 million in grants next year through the Clean Ohio Revitalization Fund program managed by the state Department of Development.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2011/11/dargush-reviving-kaplin-landfill-site.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 142 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: