Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Grammar police

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author

Tigertree

LeePaul wrote >>
    Honestly, I think English majors may be one of my pet peeves!

I think we’re going to get along real good Lee.

berdawn

Steaks get done, people get finished.

DavidF
    Participant

I done got me a whole new prespective on this here grammer stuff.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

alexs wrote >>
    I’m an admin on a car board and we get some gems. Sometimes it’s not only the language that’s bad, it’s the story told as well; it’s entertaining like watching a bug zapper.

i found my brother a 97 legacy outback for $400. excellent condition but needs a head gasket. yesterday we pull motor do the hole head gasket top end kit. start it up and oil blow out of passenger side head gasket like it aint even there. so mad, i dont know how but some how i must have put that side in wrong
    it was making a pretty loud noise too like valves. but i figure that was from lack of oil to the heads and lifters. ive done a few head gaskets before but this was my first subaru. and whats with the arrow on the crank sprocket. you use the notch on the one of the 6 lower teeth right.
    i didnt surface the head because they did seem warped and the head gasket wasnt even that bad of a leak. most of the time the car wouldnt even over heat until sitting still for a while

Wow, that’s like… Frankenstein/Tarzan/”Hulk smash” level.

catnfiddle
    Participant

Tigertree wrote >>

LeePaul wrote >>

Ttthhhppppbbbhhh.

LeePaul

catnfiddle wrote >>

Tigertree wrote >>

LeePaul wrote >>

Ttthhhppppbbbhhh.

catnfiddle, that sounds like one of your students:>)

LeePaul

But seriously, I can’t imagine the difficulties an English teacher is facing these days, given the continuous generational by generational degradation of the language. And combine that with modern communication debauchery, I’m assuming you have your hands full. I hope my assumptions are wrong!

P.S. I do envy those who can put their thoughts into words so eloquently. Don’t know if you can teach that?

TaraK
    Participant

LeePaul wrote >>
    But seriously, I can’t imagine the difficulties an English teacher is facing these days, given the continuous generational by generational degradation of the language. And combine that with modern communication debauchery, I’m assuming you have your hands full. I hope my assumptions are wrong!
    P.S. I do envy those who can but their thoughts into words so eloquently. Don’t know if you can teach that?

I’m not one of those teachers who has a romanticized idea of what my students will learn. Most of the, I find, really view English as being like Astronomy — a subject that they don’t need to know anything more about, regardless of their skill level. Every time I get an assignment with a winky face ;) in it, I just think, “job security.” If nothing else, for my current occupation and in the future. I think they really don’t understand how much others (adult professionals beyond English teachers) will judge their skill level based on their grammar. More troubling is the trend I see of inability to communicate person-to-person, be it online or on the phone. I have had lots of students who would have a question in class but would go to the computer class afterward to email me about it. If asked to talk in person or on the phone, they seem to have lost the skills.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Even when they get in the workplace, they can hobble along with aids like spell-checkers. There’s a whole world of stories relating MS Word suggesting the wrong replacement for a mis-spelled word. Or they’ll use the wrong word and it’s fine with the spell check – once I saw my manager write “cubical” in place of “cubicle” and it went through because cubical was in the spell checker’s dictionary.

Mae Greentree
    Mae Greentree
    Participant

The one error I notice most these days is the lack of use of hyphens to create a compound adjective. I am all for improving written grammar when it facilitates reading and improves clarity, and this is one of those cases:

their three year old daughters
    vs.
    their three year-old daughters
    vs.
    their three-year-old daughters

There are other times when hyphens are necessary for unmistakable comprehension:

I resent your e-mail.
    vs.
    I re-sent your e-mail.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

Here’s an article from the Daily Mail about grammar differences across the US and a nice interactive map:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3047678/What-unusual-phrases-does-area-use-Interactive-grammar-map-reveals-bizarre-language-differences-US.html

When did all the weirdos move to Lincoln Rd in Grandview?

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION