Our City Online

Messageboard - Art & Artists

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Graffiti Art

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 337 total)
  • Author

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Coreroc wrote >>
    I think there is going to be a similarity or comparison to banksy with just about any stencil artist. Sure you con point out the obvious that the medium is stencilk and spray paint.

Actually I don’t really think all stencil artists are similar.. to me, Banksy is very different in subject matter and execution than someone like Blek le Rat[/url] who was a pioneer of stencil graff or Ryan Spring Dooley who does some amazing stencil work with found materials that’s pretty far from what anyone is doing these days.

In addition I think that the Vinchen Goodale park pond installation piece last year was very “Banksy-esque” in subject, form and execution which just reinforces that connection of Vinchen and Banksy.

On the flipside, I think Vinchen has some good pieces that *do* look very different than Banksy, like the “god, gas, gluttony” stencil and some of the billboard work from a few years ago.. I’d really like to see more like that…

Coreroc wrote >>
    I will say that taking that back to the Banksy vs. Vinchin conversation. I don’t think that Vin has the impact with his subject matter that Banksy gets. Banksy also makes a point to somewhat attack the establishment with his work either by subject matter or by litterally doing his stencils in or on the establishment. I dig Vin’s work and he makes really clean stencils, but I do think that he needs to find a way to get that awe factor going on rather than just accomplishing being noticed.

I’ll agree with that to a point. I think some of the peices I mentioned where he/she has differentiated themself do have a lot of impact. Which is whay I want to see more of that..

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Petty vandalism.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>
    Petty vandalism.

I’d rather look at graffiti than advertisements

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

just bc you cant color in the lines, snarf…no reason to hate.

sounds like a bunch of trolling to me…btw, no one explained what that was to me, so i looked it up. i was NOT trolling. TROLL!

viva la bansky!

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    Every artist is a rip off of every other artist who came before them! Sound the alarms!
    Edit: If von was just trolling with that comment then I would say that von is a ripoff of ndcent.

your first statement may be true, MAY but it you’re going to rip someone off, give credit where credit is due.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

von wrote >>

Walker wrote >>
    Every artist is a rip off of every other artist who came before them! Sound the alarms!
    Edit: If von was just trolling with that comment then I would say that von is a ripoff of ndcent.

your first statement may be true, MAY but it you’re going to rip someone off, give credit where credit is due.

I’d rather they just graduate to doing more interesting and individual work..

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote >>

Snarf wrote >>
    Petty vandalism.

I’d rather look at graffiti than advertisements

Well this vandalism is kind of like an advertisement…”hey look at me, i’m quasi-socially conscious, but only enough so to vandalize personal property, teehee.”

michaelcoyote
    Participant

I’ll also say that I don’t think Vinchen is a straight up ripoff of Banksy..

That’s a pretty harsh assessment I think.. I just think that they could be better about differentiating themself with more interesting work.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

von wrote >>
    If you’re going to rip someone off, give credit where credit is due.

How so? Should vinchen put banksy’s name on their work? ;)

And speaking of stencils…. I thought this non-stencil piece of Vinchen’s was pretty funny:

http://vinchen.com/gallery.html?id=payToRest

Coreroc

michaelcoyote wrote >>
    I’ll also say that I don’t think Vinchen is a straight up ripoff of Banksy..
    That’s a pretty harsh assessment I think.. I just think that they could be better about differentiating themself with more interesting work.

Yeah I don’t think that ripoff sums it up correctly. Influenced by is a given due tot he nature of his work. every artist has influences that come directly from art history books as well as the current artists of the time. I see major differences in the application betweent he two artists.

Also to speak on the point of all stencil artists being the same. I guess I will agree that there are differences, but oon traditional one, two, and three color stencil artists there are only so many ways to tweak that process to distinguish yourself.

Just like the artist refrenced that uses found objects as stencils. I also use this method often in my work, but I consider this a part of my process and not being a stencil artist. I also use stencils often in my work, bbt would never consider myself a stencil artist. I actually in my case consider it more of a cross over from my graphic design background. This mostly due to the fact I design what becomes my stencils on a computer and then have a machine cut them. So I feel that by taking the human element out of cutting the stencil it becomes more of a process in the end than a definition of my style or what have you. So yes agreed stencil artists vary in process, visuals, and messages/content. However the theory and application of stencils is limited by nature and design.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Ok, looking at the Vinchen site, I can see that they did the Bert & Ernie “Get used to it” peice that I like and the “Uncle Sam” in the SN.. Definitely showing more of an individual style than some of the other stuff.. I can only hope they keep moving in their own direction..

I do like the billboard stuff and the pay to rest piece.. Good stuff there..

Coreroc

Yeah the park bench piece I love and any street artist that “changes information” as part of their process is all good in my books.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Street Artist = Criminal

[/trolling]

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

okeh, so how is that trolling? isnt it just snarf’s opinion??

Cookie

Snarf wrote >>
    Street Artist = Criminal
    [/trolling]

How cute! Snarf’s vandalizing this thread.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 337 total)

The forum ‘Art & Artists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE