Our City Online

Messageboard - Art & Artists

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Graffiti Art

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 337 total)
  • Author

Just spotted this:

is it the same person who did:

PM me…to reveal who the real Vinchen is :)

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Daz
    Participant

I looked through Vinchen’s website. I dig it.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

he’s a rip off of Banksy in the UK…

Daz
    Participant

von wrote >>
    he’s a rip off of Banksy in the UK…

banksy:graffiti art :: the shins:indie rock

It’s where everyone starts off and it’s almost difficult to not point out obvious influences.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Every artist is a rip off of every other artist who came before them! Sound the alarms!

Edit: If von was just trolling with that comment then I would say that von is a ripoff of ndcent.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

no trolling…just my honest opinion. i have been “following” Bansky for years now. just think the styles are too similar and Vinchen’s subject mater is weak comparatively.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

and, WTF is “trolling”?

michaelcoyote
    Participant

I dono.. I’m thinking the Vinchen stuff I’ve seen looks pretty similar to Banksy’s.. Not a direct bite of his work, but to my eye Vinchen definitely takes some heavy influence from Banksy..

That said, the “God, Gas, Gluttony” looks pretty different.. I like it a lot.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

HEAVY.

thank you michaelcoyote

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m not saying his work is drastically different… but perhaps they’re simply inspired by Banksy? I just think “rip off” is an overly harsh way to put something without knowing someone’s intentions.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

Coldplay must REAAAALLY like Radiohead too then. hahaha

okeh, i’m done. going home. g’night all.

greenhouse1014
    Participant

“Inspired” is one thing. Complete sapping of artistic style is a whole other thing. Banksy himself doesn’t have a lock on grafitti, but style, way of getting point across, well, that’s his. Vinchen seems to just be sucking Banksy’s artistic tit, and not really that well. Banksy has more of an edge and that is what V is missing. Inspiration will make you take one thing at take it to the next level up, do something different. Vinchin does not do this.

Coreroc

I think there is going to be a similarity or comparison to banksy with just about any stencil artist. Sure you con point out the obvious that the medium is stencilk and spray paint. Plus the subject matter is political in nature. I think that will happen with most genres of art and music alike. This is why we as the humkan race study history and culture. So that we know from those who have already experienced what works and what doesn’t.

It’s the same way that most TV’s maunfactured before the 90’s had all of the controls on the right side of the screen and moving into digital TV just about every TV now has the controls under the screen. It was the best application and all of the companies followed this model. Now the internal makeup and designs are very different while the outside cosmetics of the TV’s may appear to be the same or similar.

I will say that taking that back to the Banksy vs. Vinchin conversation. I don’t think that Vin has the impact with his subject matter that Banksy gets. Banksy also makes a point to somewhat attack the establishment with his work either by subject matter or by litterally doing his stencils in or on the establishment. I dig Vin’s work and he makes really clean stencils, but I do think that he needs to find a way to get that awe factor going on rather than just accomplishing being noticed.

misskitty
    Participant

I think this stuff is really cool. I like it I also think it is also just like Banksy. That was my first thought when I saw it I thought he had made a trip to the US.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 337 total)

The forum ‘Art & Artists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE