Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Tribeca - Edwards Communities Apartments on West Third Avenue

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Tribeca – Edwards Communities Apartments on West Third Avenue

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

buckette13

I went to take a look with a friend who saw their leasing ad here on CU. It actually looks better in the pictures, it is that sad. I can’t believe anyone would have thought this was a good idea given its location. I didn’t realize the scale until I saw it in person. It really is a ginormous shitty wall on 3rd Ave.

That said, we also checked out the new apartments in the Grandview Yard just south of this (built by a different company) and those are looking really sharp. Those have a nice urban feel. The difference is striking. Kudos to good design.

surber17
    Participant

I would really like to know more about the inner workings of the Edwards company. On one hand you have an amazingly well done product in Neighborhood Launch and then on the other you have this. In another thread I was critical of some comments the older Edwards made during a speech and really wonder what each person’s role is in the company.

columbusmike
    Participant

surber17 said:
    On one hand you have an amazingly well done product in Neighborhood Launch and then on the other you have this.

Couldn’t agree more. I’m not sure how one company can produce two entirely different products in terms of quality. I’m not sure why you would want to have a reputation for garbage development, when you obviously know how to do it right.

heresthecasey
    Participant

surber17 said:
    I would really like to know more about the inner workings of the Edwards company. On one hand you have an amazingly well done product in Neighborhood Launch and then on the other you have this. In another thread I was critical of some comments the older Edwards made during a speech and really wonder what each person’s role is in the company.

Their past and present work in the Brewery District is also top-notch. I’ll admit that this and the other suburban stuff they do seem very poorly executed.

But I guess it could be worse, certain other companies seem to consistently turn out crap wherever the product is situated. (Prove me wrong Lifestyles Communities!)

bucki12

I think it is partially about knowing (or at least thinking) what you can get away with.

Neighborhood Launch looks like a big money project they can spin all of into condos someday – lucrative if they can play it and the tax incentives right. The Crap on Third is an apartment building they feel they can rent to newby college grads and YP’s who will live there a few years and move on. I guess they think that naive millennial’s will rent anything that seems shiny and new – even if it is tasteless, cheap, crap.

The Edwards companies have some kind of break down into seperate divisions like Wagenbrenner. That said, if they are building crap then the guy at the helm is still to blame. Wagenbrenner has always been good about accountability. Hopefully Edwards is not just putting ads on here, but also looking at the feedback.

Tribeca is a huge wasted opportunity.

mrpoppinzs

^ I sense there is bit of correlation to what landlords do in Weinland Park…because they can.

Who needs architectural review?

InnerCore
    Participant

I think part of the problem is that you have a developer that has grown by building suburban product that is now moving into the urban arena. Instead of trying to really undestand how the urban environment is different they seem to be just following where people want to live with the same mindset.

Architecturally the neighborhood launch is much better but 3 story housing with one story parking garages is not the best product to place next to 30 story buildings. The newer apartments under construction on Long st. are a step in the right direction.

From an urban design viewpoint Tribeca is obviously awful and much more suited to their suburban model of “resort style living” which essentially means build a compound that blocks out the surrounding area. Did these guys ever stop and think who would want to walk along that wall? Of course not because even if great amenities are built across the street they’re assuming people are going to drive across the street to utilize them.

With that said even as horrible as this is I guess building Tribeca on 3rd ave. is a step in the right direction to building additional communities outside of 270.

InnerCore
    Participant

heresthecasey said:
    Their past and present work in the Brewery District is also top-notch. I’ll admit that this and the other suburban stuff they do seem very poorly executed.

But I guess it could be worse, certain other companies seem to consistently turn out crap wherever the product is situated. (Prove me wrong Lifestyles Communities!)

Although it has only been approved this is the best urban product I have seen in Columbus:

heresthecasey
    Participant

InnerCore said:
    Although it has only been approved this is the best urban product I have seen in Columbus:

@InnerCore

I agree that we should be cautiously optimistic about the new LC building on High St, which looks good in that watercolor rendering. However, judging by the detailing, materials, and street-level design of their existing downtown project, the Annex, I’m not sure that they are committed to delivering a lasting, valuable, and quality product which enhances and enlivens urban space.

In any event, it is definitely miles, leaps, and bounds ahead of what’s going up across the street.

And, FWIW, I think the Brunson Building/Lafayette Lofts complex is the best executed recent urban development I’ve seen in Columbus.

leftovers

Mrpoppinzs brings up a good point. I think there needs to be better architectural review in the urban areas. I assume this was shown to the 5xNW Area Commission, but I assume they had no teeth.

‘Considering the site’ seems like a day one architectural lesson. They also have that ‘captive bath’ issue with bathrooms entered only by walking through bedrooms. Tribeca has fail written all over it. Would love to see some kind of interview about how decisions were made.

The rent they are asking would put you into the Grandview Yard or the new apartment building across from the post office on Grandview Ave. Edwards is asking premium rents for shoddy design.

Studios from $819*
    1 Bedrooms from $849*
    1 Bedroom Den from $1366*
    2 Bedrooms from $1399*
    *Rates subject to change

wpcc88
    Participant

leftovers said:
    Mrpoppinzs brings up a good point. I think there needs to be better architectural review in the urban areas. I assume this was shown to the 5xNW Area Commission, but I assume they had no teeth.

‘Considering the site’ seems like a day one architectural lesson. They also have that ‘captive bath’ issue with bathrooms entered only by walking through bedrooms. Tribeca has fail written all over it. Would love to see some kind of interview about how decisions were made.

The rent they are asking would put you into the Grandview Yard or the new apartment building across from the post office on Grandview Ave. Edwards is asking premium rents for shoddy design.

Studios from $819*
    1 Bedrooms from $849*
    1 Bedroom Den from $1366*
    2 Bedrooms from $1399*
    *Rates subject to change

that layout is very similar to my cousins apartment on West Campus in Austin.. very strange that it was a 3 bed, 3 bath apartment and a HUGE great room and kitchen but no “public” bathroom.. this layout however is even VERY strange for an edwards community maybe they hired someone else completely to come on board for this project

rory
    Participant

leftovers said:

The various review boards in Columbus have teeth. What they don’t have are people with the political will to do anything about poor design. In the end it’s just easier to keep on doing what has always been done.

RedStorm
    Participant

I have heard multiple tenants are suing Edwards. Allegedly little to no insulation which ran utility bills to $500+/month during the winter. Heat on all night but could still see breath in the morning is what I was told.

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: