Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Tribeca - Edwards Communities Apartments on West Third Avenue

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Tribeca – Edwards Communities Apartments on West Third Avenue

This topic contains 88 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  RedStorm 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 89 total)
  • Author

futureman
    Participant

Just saw this in the print edition of Biz First …

This is the parcel of real estate just north of the police substation on 3rd that has had a sign up for “new retail center” for a couple of years now. From the rendering it looks to be a ~ four story complex and have 40 apartments per acre.

Edwards planning apartments north of Gowdy Field

Premium content from Business First – by Brian R. Ball

Date: Friday, April 8, 2011, 6:00am EDT – Last Modified: Thursday, April 7, 2011, 5:48pm EDT

A slow-rolling wave of redevelopment along Columbus’ border with Grandview Heights is attracting the interest of Edwards Communities Development Co.

The developer wants to build 205 apartments on 5.1 acres off West Third Avenue in the city, north of a trio of office buildings that have gone up at Gowdy Field.

“We think it’s a great location, with its proximity to downtown, Ohio State (University) and the Grandview Yard development,” said Edwards Vice President Ryan Szymanski.

Indeed, real estate experts say the area bordered by Route 315, Grandview and Upper Arlington can put developers close to some of the largest employers in the city, including Ohio State and its growing medical center.

READ MORE:

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2011/04/08/apartments-on-tap-north-of-gowdy-field.html

I believe this is the site:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=h&msa=0&msid=214764306809774195280.0004a06810905affec13b&ll=39.984355,-83.023649&spn=0.007842,0.013078&z=17

cc

It should do well. I hope that Phase 2 of Grandview Yard starts construction soon. I think this will make a good replacement for the missed City Center type retail in the near downtown area. The more people living near the Yard the better.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Even though Phase 2 hasn’t been formally announced, NRI is working on the project with demolition of the old Big Bear facilities nearly complete:

Likes Old Houses
    Participant

Here is a link to the application from the City’s website.
    http://bzs.columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Building_and_Zoning_Services/Boards_and_Commissions/Zoning/Development_Commission/Meetings/2011/Active_Cases/Z11-007%20700%20West%20Third%20Avenue.pdf

I am not a fan, they completely ignore 3rd Ave, infact all you see from 3rd is the back of a bunch of garages. I like the density, I just think they could have designed it better.

Pablo
    Participant

Likes Old Houses wrote >>
    Here is a link to the application from the City’s website.
    http://bzs.columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Building_and_Zoning_Services/Boards_and_Commissions/Zoning/Development_Commission/Meetings/2011/Active_Cases/Z11-007%20700%20West%20Third%20Avenue.pdf
    I am not a fan, they completely ignore 3rd Ave, infact all you see from 3rd is the back of a bunch of garages. I like the density, I just think they could have designed it better.

It looks like a bunker – totally inward facing. There doesn’t appear to be any pedestrian connections to 3rd – it’s close enough to walk to future phases of Grandview Yard. Looks like the developer is holding the Olentangy River Rd. portion of the parcel for future commercial development.

To me it seems like a suburban development, something you might find behind a mall. To be fair, there’s not much to the immediate area, but they could have designed it better and helped transform the area.

bldng4jstc
    Participant

Reminds me of a even more suburban style of the Meridian Apartments up the street. I looked into living there, but got that high hype & price with low quality place feel. Hopefully the quality and management (judging by the reviews) will be better at this new place .

ToddAnders
    Blocked

The Meridian has an 82% occupancy rate, so maybe they are doing something right; maybe they are taking a page from the profitable pagebook?

cc

The Meridian does put a facade on King and 5th with parking on interior ‘streets’, unlike the way this project addresses third with a ringed parkinglot.

My guess it that they assume 3rd will eventually be widened* and noisier. Coupled with the noise from the fire station** across the street they are probably looking to create a sound buffer (not to mention the very active railroad).

I would rather it had a facade (rather than a wall) toward 3rd also though.

*there are no sidewalks under the railroad bridge.
    **atleast the police helipad has moved.

bldng4jstc
    Participant

ToddAnders wrote >>
    The Meridian has an 82% occupancy rate, so maybe they are doing something right; maybe they are taking a page from the profitable pagebook?

Agree. Other than complaints about the management, one consistent complaint was about visitor parking/towing. This place seems to give students the suburban feel they want in a closer proximity than a Marble Cliff or Runaway Bay. No need for these apartments to pretend they are in a walkable neighborhood when they really aren’t.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I like the overall building design but could do without the “garage buffer” along 3rd. The site layout is just too suburban for my taste in such a semi-urban neighborhood. I am fine with the surface parking along the railroad (east side) as it provides sort of a buffer but the ring of parking all the way around, nah. The Meridian did it right. I understand they are probably trying to keep costs down by not having to build a parking structure. Oh well, one more vacant lot on its way out. Edwards is on a roll.

futureman
    Participant

3rd Ave is to be widened as a part of the Grandview Yard Project, in particular the train bridge is pretty tight. It’ll probably be widened to 4+ lanes from Olentangy to Edgehill Rd. This could be several years away though. I’m sure sidewalks would follow as well.

If they move the building to front 3rd I don’t think I’d have a problem with it. The building actually looks pretty nice, the problem is that it’ll be in circled by single parking garages.

futureman
    Participant

Dueling Columbus apartments getting start soon
    Business First – by Brian Ball
    Date: Thursday, August 18, 2011, 11:41am EDT

Expect to see construction on two apartment complexes along Olentangy River Road near Ohio State University before the onslaught of winter.

But Klingbeil isn’t the only one planning apartments in the Olentangy River commercial corridor between Kinnear and downtown. Edwards Communities Development Co. has quietly completed zoning to build up to 190 apartments near the corner of Olentangy River Road and West Third Avenue. The complex will be smaller than 205 apartments the company originally planned when it unveiled the project in April.

READ MORE:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2011/08/dueling-columbus-apartments-getting.html

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Edwards Pushes for Urban Density with New Apartment Developments
    By: Walker

Columbus is seeing a huge influx of new apartment development, and the Edwards Communities is hard at work to make sure their developments are some of the first to come available for residents to move in and start renting.

Tribeca is the name of their community development located at 700 West Third Avenue, which is already under construction. This development will feature 183 one and two bedroom apartment units, a fitness center, pool, theatre room, club room and an interior courtyard space.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/edwards-pushes-for-urban-density-with-new-apartment-developments

mrpoppinzs

I think they should have kept it local and called it “the Sho’ No’ ” or “SoHud”.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, I’m not a huge fan of the name “Tribeca” but I guess the name isn’t really that important in the grand scheme of things. ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 89 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.