Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Government ethics rules are poorly implemented

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Government ethics rules are poorly implemented

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author

pez
    Participant

Hael wrote >>

hugh59 wrote >>
    I brought it to the attention of my administrator because the gift card came to me in the office. Better safe than sorry; better to be pissed off about losing the card than to be disciplined (and possibly fired) for failing to report the card.

This is retarded. Can your administrator apply some freaking common sense here? You should be allowed to keep the card. You didn’t receive the gift card because you work for the state, you got it for being the 1st customer, correct? It has nothing to do with your employer! That gift card is your property, ask for it back.

The administrator is applying common sense, nobody is allowed to accept gifts as a state employee. Now, if you knew before you handed a business card that you were getting the $100, and told the administrator that they were unaware of your employment before awarding it, then I’d let you keep it. Unfortunately, since you didn’t know until after they were aware you worked for the state, they’re right telling you to return it. If we receive any unsolicited gifts, we have to return them with a note telling the sender of our policy on not accepting them, that way they know they shouldn’t be sending them to people who would not disclose them.

Now, did you ‘steal’ state property by using your business card? Absolutely not, but I wouldn’t go dropping them in fish bowls at restaurants. It won’t get you fired, but it’ll get your phone number into the hands of the Ameriprise people, and they’ll start bugging you to bring lunch to your office and discuss financial planning with your coworkers.

Mercurius
    Participant

See if you ever buy those assholes a box of doughnuts!

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

I will just become one more civil servant with a bad attitude. I think my attitude will pick up when I can finally bring the employment discrimination law suit against them for age discrimination.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

pez wrote >>
    The administrator is applying common sense, nobody is allowed to accept gifts as a state employee. Now, if you knew before you handed a business card that you were getting the $100, and told the administrator that they were unaware of your employment before awarding it, then I’d let you keep it. Unfortunately, since you didn’t know until after they were aware you worked for the state, they’re right telling you to return it.

+1 for avoiding the slippery slope. “it’s just a box of donuts” becomes “It’s just a golf outing” and then from there “it’s just a car”.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: