Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Government ethics rules are poorly implemented

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Government ethics rules are poorly implemented

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

somertimeoh
    Participant

My job has gotten boring because of all these “ethics” rules. Sucks for those of us who used to do our boozing and eating for free :(

Roland
    Participant

It sounds like your coworker just screwed you out of 100 dollars in donuts! You could put some goop or something on the earpiece of his phone. Or start sending him faxes from the future!

:)

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

It is a theft of government property to use my business card for a personal reason? As best as I can tell, my agency has no written policy on the use of business cards.

It was not a mere co-employee that I consulted; it was the administrator who manages my division. He called the department’s chief counsel who, in turn, checked with the chief ethics officer.

If I receive a negative notation in my file for reporting this and following orders I might as well quit. I am the 3rd most productive person in my division (out of 15) and my work involves th hardest cases. My reward for this excellence is that I am the only person in my division who has never been promoted (there is an unwritten policy that employees over the age of 40 are not to be promoted).

I wish I was not so motivated and could emulate some of the more “successful” people in my division who do almost no work at all. No wonder government is so inefficient and messed up.

By the way, I am writing this on my personally owned blackberry during my break time. I hate being so ethical!

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

:(

joev
    Participant

I’m not sure what prompted you to even bring up the gift card as an ethical issue. It wasn’t. Theft in office for a business card is a little rash. Business cards are intended to be distributed. Of course, for business purposes, but it’s doubtful that every one of them gets into the hands of a valid business contact. Maybe 2 out of 3 do at most.
    I guess you could use a stash of outdated business cards with an old brand or old governor’s name on it. Ones that you’d have to throw away anyhow.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

I brought it to the attention of my administrator because the gift card came to me in the office. Better safe than sorry; better to be pissed off about losing the card than to be disciplined (and possibly fired) for failing to report the card.

Hael

hugh59 wrote >>
    I brought it to the attention of my administrator because the gift card came to me in the office. Better safe than sorry; better to be pissed off about losing the card than to be disciplined (and possibly fired) for failing to report the card.

This is retarded. Can your administrator apply some freaking common sense here? You should be allowed to keep the card. You didn’t receive the gift card because you work for the state, you got it for being the 1st customer, correct? It has nothing to do with your employer! That gift card is your property, ask for it back.

greenhouse1014
    Participant

Rules are rules and the minute you make an exception, that exception becomes the rule. Regardless of how your other co-workers act or the people above you act, you are required to follow the rules, which you did. Yes, technically, using the business cards that the state paid for and gave you is theft. Because they paid for them and it is a business tool, they belong to the state. It’s splitting hairs, and very petty, but…

True enough, business cards are made to be distributed, but they are suppossed to be handed out for business purposes only. What if you’re out at the club, for example, and hand one of your state biz cards to some hot girl for her to call you. Now she’s calling you on your business phone, which also belongs to the state, and you’re once again using state property for personal business.

Is it fair? Probably a little gray there, but nobody promised fair, especially in the workplace.

JonMyers
    Participant

I’m curious, does it violate ethics rules to publicly disclose and discuss this matter?

greenhouse1014
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>
    I’m curious, does it violate ethics rules to publicly disclose and discuss this matter?

Probably not as no trade information has been passed along except the state’s ethics rules, which are public information.

Nice seeing you at your party, btw. Congrats again. Sure wish I coulda won me one o them ipods…

JonMyers
    Participant

@Greenhouse – nice seeing you there. We’ll probably doing another event soon.

StowCbusCleveland
    Participant

I’ll be looking for my first real big person job soon…no raffles when you work for the state…What’s the opposite of recruiting?

Seriously though, that sucks. And now I want a donut.

HeySquare
    Participant

Hael wrote >>

hugh59 wrote >>

This is retarded. Can your administrator apply some freaking common sense here? You should be allowed to keep the card. You didn’t receive the gift card because you work for the state, you got it for being the 1st customer, correct? It has nothing to do with your employer! That gift card is your property, ask for it back.

Welcome to the world of government ;)

In one of my fraud and ethics classes, we once discussed accepting gifts, such as fruit baskets from contractors/vendors. We were told that we could not accept gifts from contractors/vendors, unless we were dating and/or sleeping with them. If there was a romantic relationship, we were allowed to accept gifts. At which point someone asked if it was your uncle, could you accept a gift. Answer, no.

I, of course, then had to ask… well… what if you are sleeping with your uncle?

That pretty much ended the discussion.

mellotron
    Participant

Hugh, two things:
    – thank you for reminding me that some attorneys are stalwarts about ethics
    – please promise to include your Star Trek photo on your new personal business cards!

blammo
    Participant

HeySquare wrote >>

Hael wrote >>

hugh59 wrote >>

Welcome to the world of government ;)
    In one of my fraud and ethics classes, we once discussed accepting gifts, such as fruit baskets from contractors/vendors. We were told that we could not accept gifts from contractors/vendors, unless we were dating and/or sleeping with them. If there was a romantic relationship, we were allowed to accept gifts. At which point someone asked if it was your uncle, could you accept a gift. Answer, no.
    I, of course, then had to ask… well… what if you are sleeping with your uncle?
    That pretty much ended the discussion.

hahaha, I think South Park wrote a song about this very situation.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: