Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

OSU President - Dr. Michael V. Drake Replaces Gordon Gee

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion OSU President – Dr. Michael V. Drake Replaces Gordon Gee

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author

NDaEast
    Participant

OSU’s Gordon Gee to Announce RetirementOhio State President E. Gordon Gee said this afternoon that he plans to retire on July 1, following the latest in a series of verbal gaffes that he said were meant as harmless jokes but ended up embarrassing the university.

The two-time Ohio State president will make his announcement this afternoon in an email to students, faculty and staff.

News
    Participant

OSU President Gordon Gee Announces Retirement
    Published on June 4, 2013 3:30 pm
    By: Walker

Press Release:

E. Gordon Gee, president of The Ohio State University, and Robert H. Schottenstein, chairman of the Board of Trustees of The Ohio State University, announced today that Dr. Gee plans to retire from the presidency, effective July 1.

Executive Vice President and Provost Joseph A. Alutto will be named interim president. Dr. Alutto previously served as interim president in 2007.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/osu-president-gordon-gee-announces-retirement

gramarye
    Participant

I guess I’ll never be a university president. You should hear some of the things *I* say about the SEC.

Heck, you should hear some of the things I say about Catholics … and I’m Catholic!

hdtvohio
    Participant

About the graduation he was supposed to speak at, I’m surprised THIS is the thing that made him cancel his speech. The decisions the Diocese has made recently are not in line with the principles Ohio State enforces. Honestly I’m just surprised he was still scheduled to speak at it.

Second, if OSU didn’t want him representing them because of his tendency to make gaffes, that is fine with me, same goes for his decision if this is in any way not a forced retirement. Gee was an amazing fundraiser for the University, and I’m excited to see if the University can hire another great personality to keep up with Ohio State’s upward trajectory.

I will say though that making a joke about a historically privileged group is NOT the same thing as making a joke as a repressed minority (I know somebody will say “What if you replace Catholics with a minority in his quote?”).

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

If you asked me a couple years ago, I would have said that both Gordon Gee and Jim Tressel earned unofficial life tenure in their jobs. Now, they’re both out in dramatic fashion. Its funny how these things work out.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Please don’t screw up the new hire OSU.

gramarye
    Participant

We’ll never learn, of course, and it’s possible even the major actors involved couldn’t know completely, but I’ll always wonder how much of this exit was induced by pressure from the Board and how much was Gee personally deciding he was sick of this s#!+ (being required to cut back his speeches, hire a coach, etc.).

All I know is this: If it were seriously a firing offense for a Buckeye to talk trash about the SEC and Notre Dame, the university would find most of its alumni too unemployed to contribute much to fundraising campaigns.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

This is good; Gee had his fun twice now at OSU and I look forward to having a new face in Bricker Hall.

geoyui
    Participant

my prediction is that Gee will take a break, then get hired on as president of Rutgers.

NDaEast
    Participant

spfld_expat said:
    If you asked me a couple years ago, I would have said that both Gordon Gee and Jim Tressel earned unofficial life tenure in their jobs. Now, they’re both out in dramatic fashion. Its funny how these things work out.

Do you think Jim Tressel finally fired Gordon Gee?

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Not a good list to be on:

Woody Hayes
    Art Schlichter
    Maurice Clarett
    Jim Tressel
    Terrelle Pryor
    Gordon Gee
    TBD

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Say what you will about Gee but I think you will be hard pressed to find a University President anywhere who is as beloved by the students. I’ve seen many a profile picture with Gee after he showed up unannounced at a party on campus.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

joshlapp said:
    Say what you will about Gee but I think you will be hard pressed to find a University President anywhere who is as beloved by the students. I’ve seen many a profile picture with Gee after he showed up unannounced at a party on campus.

Loved by students and effective are two different things though.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    Not a good list to be on:

Woody Hayes
    Art Schlichter
    Maurice Clarett
    Jim Tressel
    Terrelle Pryor
    Gordon Gee
    TBD

Per Wikipedia:

“Ohio State’s faculty currently includes a Nobel Prize-winning physicist, 21 members of the National Academy of Sciences or National Academy of Engineering, four members of the Institute of Medicine, and 177 elected fellows of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.”

Here’s a fun game, can anybody here name the Nobel Prize winner or any of these other illustrious scholars without looking it up?

Personally, I can’t name any of them, but I know all about Maurice Clarett. Sad state of affairs!

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

spfld_expat said:
    Per Wikipedia:

“Ohio State’s faculty currently includes a Nobel Prize-winning physicist, 21 members of the National Academy of Sciences or National Academy of Engineering, four members of the Institute of Medicine, and 177 elected fellows of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.”

Here’s a fun game, can anybody here name the Nobel Prize winner or any of these other illustrious scholars without looking it up?

Personally, I can’t name any of them, but I know all about Maurice Clarett. Sad state of affairs!

I just hope Minnie McGee isn’t one of them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: