Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Google Reader Being Retired on July 1, 2013

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Google Reader Being Retired on July 1, 2013

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

No real explanation given by Google, but I just got the notice. I use Google Reader not just daily… but constantly. I’ve always loved it, and sad to see it go. Thankfully it allows for easy export of data.

Any recommendations for new rss/feed readers?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

bob.os
    Participant

Walker said:
    Any recommendations for new rss/feed readers?

I’m in the same boat. I would subscribe to this discussion just for the recommendations, but well, you know.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

bob.os said:
    I’m in the same boat. I would subscribe to this discussion just for the recommendations, but well, you know.

Same.

JonMyers
    Participant

Walker, check out Feedly[/url].

Question. What’s gonna happen with all the subscriptions you manage in Google Reader?

I don’t use GR, but I use it to authenticate with the Reeder[/url] app.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Google Reader Alternatives from “Lifehacker”

It looks like there are several with some of the same cross-platform sync services, and one of them even has tried to duplicate an older google reader interface.

th0m
    Participant

Le sigh.

th0m
    Participant

Exporting can be done with https://www.google.com/takeout/?pli=1#downloads and it claims to even export your starred items, which is something I’ve wanted to do for a while. I’m trying to figure out a way to download its cache of older blogs that no longer exist at the original URIs. Ars speculates it’ll show again in Plus http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/03/google-reader-will-rise-again-as-part-of-google/ but as it stands now, I wish Plus had a way to skim, but it doesn’t, so I don’t think that bodes well for the hardcore information addicts like myself. I guess I always meant to have my own offline archive anyway.

th0m
    Participant

Also the Hitler thingy going around :D

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

JonMyers said:
    Question. What’s gonna happen with all the subscriptions you manage in Google Reader?

As Thom mentioned, exporting/importing is super easy. I actually just did it in February when we switched from a regular consumer Google account to Google Apps for Biz. Little did I know I’d be exporting/importing again so soon. :P

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

JonMyers said:
    Walker, check out Feedly[/url].

Switched over last week and am enjoying it thus far.

Sounds like it should automatically continue to work post Reader shutdown:

http://feedly.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/178782-what-will-happen-to-my-account-once-google-reader-

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

so what’d everyone end up going with?
    I just knew I’d fuck up and let July first come and go without setting up a new reader.

JonMyers
    Participant

I switched over to Feedly. The service has been down. I’m assuming it’s the rush of people from Google Reader.

I like the visual design of the Feedly iPhone/ iPad apps. Nice clean white space, good text/ line height proportions, it has nice typography, and the visual presentation makes articles feel like a magazine. A la Flip app.

The user experience is a little clunky in my opinion. Navigating articles is goofy. There’s no real (infinite) scrolling in article groups. You can gesture through article groups (i.e., design), flipping the pages upward, but the pages tile and groups snap to the bottom of the page then disappear, which means the bottom of your hand is always covering articles at the bottom. Thus, you’re constantly moving your hand away to read article titles at the bottom. Again, wonky, and not really well thought out for the use case of skimming lots of articles quickly.

If you use the NYTimes iPad app (the UX they likely boosted), you’ll know what I mean.

It’s the best solution out there right now, but no where near perfect.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

I’m using Digg, really easy export of feeds from Reader, super simple interface. I like that I can sign in using my Google account without having to create a new account. Digg still has some key features to update (mark as read…kind of critical) but according to their blog, these features should be rolled out shortly.

I tried Feedly, but had some concerns with their permissions using the plug in although it looks like that gets resolved if you use the web version.

Digg still has some key features to update (mark as read…kind of critical)

hungrywoolf
    Participant

I switched to feedly and I really like the website (now that I have the articles in magazine view) but I haven’t been able to get the iphone app to work once since the changeover.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION