Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Google Glass

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Google Glass

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

pez
    Participant

drew said:
    The part that bothers me about it all is this:

“What followed was over an hour of the “feds” telling me I am not under arrest, and that this is a “voluntary interview”, but if I choose not to cooperate bad things may happen to me.”

Seems to me you should either be under arrest or not under arrest, not some nebulous state where you don’t have to cooperate but there may be consequences.

Also, movie piracy falls under the umbrella of Immigration and Customs Enforcement?!

The correct thing to do would have been for AMC management to address the situation with the customer as he was entering and give him the option to remove the glasses or receive a refund and leave. At least for the MPAA, they get to see a material return on their lobbying investment.

groundrules
    Participant

AmyD said:
    From my experience, the “authorities” are allowed to lie to you to get information or tangible items

this has been upheld by the supreme court. it’s one of the central principles in the Reid interrogation technique, which is pretty standard operating procedure for many law enforcement agencies.

a long, but good (hey, it IS The New Yorker) read:
    http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/12/09/131209fa_fact_starr

groundrules
    Participant

alexs said:
    What kind of crappy recording quality would you get with a head-mounted camera, anyway? Every few minutes you’d be looking into a tub of popcorn.

I bought a copy (VHS, even) of The Matrix on the street in NYC, it turned out to be a dubbed copy made by someone holding a camera, filming the screen in a theater. it was about as good as you’d expect.

gramarye
    Participant

Heh. I basically agree with all of the above.

(1) The MPAA should know, and apparently does know (given their statement at the end of the Business Insider article) that Google Glass is no serious threat to IP. A head-mounted camera is probably the worst possible device for recording the screen. Heck, you could throw a contest to see who could make the best recording of a 2-hour movie with a head-mounted camera, and even after people practiced, the recordings would still almost certainly all suck.

(2) The Glass user here should still have known that common sense is no guide to the MPAA’s actions; their goal is to intimidate, using every political connection and media amplifier effect in the book. This story will still have its intended effect as far as the MPAA is concerned. It doesn’t play nice cop. It plays bad cop, quite often in complete conjunction with the actual cops, as in this situation.

(3) Some of the things that uniformed law enforcement are allowed to do with complete impunity are insane, particularly in situations where they have almost no evidence to go on and they’re just trying to scare someone into saying something that gives them even more reason to scare them even more into saying something worse.

kit444
    Participant

gramarye said:
    (2) The Glass user here should still have known that common sense is no guide to the MPAA’s actions; their goal is to intimidate, using every political connection and media amplifier effect in the book. This story will still have its intended effect as far as the MPAA is concerned. It doesn’t play nice cop. It plays bad cop, quite often in complete conjunction with the actual cops, as in this situation.

+1 to this. Much like the sporadic prosecutions of torrent users, the intent is a high-profile negative reinforcement of common sense.

Matthew
    Participant

As an individual who has been taken into police custody at gunpoint and ABLE to prove my innocence if the stupid bastards would have just listened, I can say it is quite distressing and I was terrified of police for years afterward. I was detained and drilled for over an hour too with no miranda rights (in handcuffs) and told if I didn’t cooperate bad things could happen, accused of molesting children & being a drug dealer. All for what? Because I was photographing an abandoned school building in Franklinton and the police thought I was too white and drove too nice of a car to be legit. One officer turned out to be pretty cool and apologized for his over zealous friends, his friends on the other hand were outright dickheads who don’t belong behind a badge.

geoyui
    Participant

News
    Participant

Public Sales Of Google Glass To End Later This Month
    JANUARY 15, 2015 5:55 PM ET
    SAM SANDERS

Google Glass Phase 1 is officially over. The Google Glass team posted a statement with the news to Google+ today. But the announcement says that Glass is not dead, it’s just going through a “transition,” and that the Google Glass team is “continuing to build for the future.” The first, “Explorer,” version of Glass was, according to the team, an “open beta” version, or basically a big, public test of the new product. The team didn’t give a timeline for future versions.

READ MORE: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/01/15/377507746/public-sales-of-google-glass-to-end-later-this-month

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: