Our City Online

Messageboard - TV

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Google Chromecast

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion TV Google Chromecast

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author

billbix

spfld_expat said:
    I wish Google would unload some old Nexus Qs on Woot. That thing had decent functionality but was way too expensive. The Chromecast on the other hand is just too neutered to be useful for me – no way to stream locally stored video is a dealbreaker, even at $35.

I was thinking the same thing. Then I found out it is ‘a work in progress’. It feels like google is basically beta testing this like all the rest of their cool but odd side projects like google voice, maps, etc etc.

It is neutered for now. Basically it looks like it is primarily for streaming music, netflix and youtube at the moment. They are developing a way to push local media (your own movies etc) to the tv but it is not available yet.

It looks like Netflix is subsidizing this to an extent. I currently have netflix streaming. I thought that I would lose out on the offer of 3 free months as I already subscribe. I found out that I still would get 3 months free per chromecast. That makes this $11. For people who already have or want netflix streaming that is great.

$11 is a no brainer.

From what I hear there is a lot of behind the scenes development. This thing is going to get better and since it uses computers, tablets and phones as the back end it has a lot more possibilities than the locked in hardware of other streamers. Google is pretty good with sharing the love with developers. I think this is a pretty awesome advantage.

What also amazes me is how fast these go out of stock online. People are buying them.

futureman
    Participant

http://gizmodo.com/google-is-crippling-chromecasts-best-feature-1200683643?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Google is now on purpose breaking 3rd party app that allows streaming from local media:

Heads up. Google’s latest Chromecast update intentionally breaks AllCast.

…Given that this is the second time they’ve purposefully removed/disabled[1] the ability to play media from external sources, it confirms some of my suspicions that I have had about the Chromecast developer program:

The policy seems to be a heavy handed approach, where only approved content will be played through the device. The Chromecast will probably not be indie developer friendly. The Google TV team will likely only whitelist media companies.”

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

Lame. The walled-garden approach should’ve died with AOL.

geoyui
    Participant

I think I’ll pick one up. I’m pretty fed up with Netflix on my xbox. Disconnects all the time. And so I’ve heard it’s runs perfect thru chromecast. Also it’s an extra bonus that my fiance can run netflix off her ipad onto the tv instead of navigating the xbox interface (which she refuses to learn).

misskitty
    Participant

geoyui said:
    I think I’ll pick one up. I’m pretty fed up with Netflix on my xbox. Disconnects all the time. And so I’ve heard it’s runs perfect thru chromecast. Also it’s an extra bonus that my fiance can run netflix off her ipad onto the tv instead of navigating the xbox interface (which she refuses to learn).

Really? That is odd I too have noticed the Netflix on my wireless TV has been freezing and disconnecting a lot here lately. We have checked, updated, and made sure everything on are end was good to go. I wonder what’s up with that

geoyui
    Participant

misskitty said:
    Really? That is odd I too have noticed the Netflix on my wireless TV has been freezing and disconnecting a lot here lately. We have checked, updated, and made sure everything on are end was good to go. I wonder what’s up with that

so you’re running netflix thru your xbox?

bayrea
    Participant

I run my Netflix through my Xbox and watch tons of movies.. no issues.

geoyui
    Participant

I’ve done everything I could to resolve the issue. Cleared the system cache, deleted the app and reinstalled, deleted the most recent system update and reinstalled. Can’t sit thru 5 minutes of The Killing without it disconnecting from Live.

misskitty
    Participant

geoyui said:
    so you’re running netflix thru your xbox?

Well we initially started out running it through the Xbox but right now, we have it running through the wireless Tv since it has a Netflix button and all but the address still comes up as Xbox streaming. lol.

Liner Notes
    Participant

Since I stream tv shows from my laptop, I wanted to do away with the hdmi cable lying across the floor. So I picked up a Chromecast a couple of weeks ago. Stream quality for Netflix and Youtube is good, but streaming content from Chrome tabs lags really bad.

I’ve found that when watching Netflix through CC, instead of the app starting up the next episode of a series as the app usually does on it’s own, the content stops at the end of the episode. I have to manually start the next episode.

So I am disappointed in the product. But at 35 bucks, I’ll hang on to it in hopes that the service improves to allow better streaming capabilities.

GW_Justice
    Participant

My chromecast does run netflix without major issues, but I think your results would depend on the speed of your connection. I have 15 Mbps with WoW.

I get an annoying error message at the start of a new stream every once in a while, restarting the stream fixes it.

The issue about not allowing local media streaming is supposed to have a workaround by using the chrome browser and dropbox. Haven’t tried that yet.

The use of a smartphone or tablet instead of a remote control seems like a good idea, but the interface is glitchy on my iphone. Maybe this will be improved with updates. I give it a 3 out of 5, needs improvement.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

I might finally have to pick one up. At long last, local media streaming!

New Chromecast apps for the holidays

geoyui
    Participant

spfld_expat said:

^awesome news!

kit444
    Participant

spfld_expat said:

It’s a few bucks off (down to $32.88) on Amazon right now.

http://amzn.com/B00DR0PDNE

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

So the Amazon Fire Stick is out in like 2 weeks, twice as powerful as the Chromecast…and 19 bucks for Prime members (limit 2). 39 normal cost, but 19 I couldn’t pass up.

I bought my 2 today.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GDQ0RMG/ref=br_imp_ara-1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-hero-1&pf_rd_r=0Z28QJGWTG716T75YCQS&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1958528642&pf_rd_i=desktop

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)

The forum ‘TV’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: