Our City Online

Messageboard - TV

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Google Chromecast

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion TV Google Chromecast

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Graybeak
    Participant

ntn said:
    You can plug it in to a the TV’s usb

Unless there is a lot more to this that isn’t shown in the photos I have seen, this device plugs into the HDMI port. I didn’t realize you could get power through those.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    Unless there is a lot more to this that isn’t shown in the photos I have seen, this device plugs into the HDMI port. I didn’t realize you could get power through those.

It plugs into the HDMI port, yes. However, it also needs power, hence needing to plug it into USB as well.

HDMI doesn’t offer bus power.

Graybeak
    Participant

Mister Shifter said:
    It plugs into the HDMI port, yes. However, it also needs power, hence needing to plug it into USB as well.

I didn’t think that was the case. So, the photos and the promise of the tiny device are slightly misleading?

Graybeak
    Participant

Though I did just see this comment on Amazon.

If you have a newer TV with HDMI ver 1.4 you don’t need the USB power.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    Though I did just see this comment on Amazon.

If you have a newer TV with HDMI ver 1.4 you don’t need the USB power.

I stand corrected if that’s the case.

ntn
    ntn
    Participant

Q: Does the Chromecast power itself off the HDMI?

A: Yes, if you have HDMI 1.4. On HDMI 1.3 you need to power it off a USB port that your TV migh have built-in or through a USB charger if it doesn’t have one.

Graybeak
    Participant

reading about this ver 1.4 I may have to call shenanigans. I don’t see anything about power.

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

Mister Shifter said:

It’s not as pretty as they make it out to be.

bucki12

murfmurphy said:

+1 thanks for that info. When did HDMI 1.4 become common?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

murfmurphy said:

Yeah, but it’s something that will most likely be plugged in the back of the TV. How often are people going to actually be looking at the thing? ;)

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

Walker said:
    Yeah, but it’s something that will most likely be plugged in the back of the TV. How often are people going to actually be looking at the thing? ;)

That’s very true.

I like the device personally, but what they show you it is versus what it actually looks like is a bit deceptive to me. MY HDMI inputs are also on the side, not back, of my TV. While it’s set it a little bit I still think the cord, and that extension piece could end up sticking out more than I would like. However, that’s all immaterial because I won’t be buying one. Not because I don’t like it, but I already have a PC hooked to one TV and my eventual second TV has a Roku waiting to get hooked up.

Graybeak
    Participant

Well, that was quick.

The World’s love affair with Google’s Chromecast Dongle Appears to be over.
    One of the bullet points in the story:
    The tiny gadget actually requires an unsightly power cord to work, something the product shots and ads cleverly hide . That’s because regular HDMI ports don’t pump out enough power to run a device like the Chromecast.

Plus, they called it a dongle.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

It seems like the hyperbole is dying down and people are being a little more realistic about this device.

http://lifehacker.com/google-chromecast-does-it-deserve-a-place-in-your-livi-945082974

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

I am still going to buy one.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

I wish Google would unload some old Nexus Qs on Woot. That thing had decent functionality but was way too expensive. The Chromecast on the other hand is just too neutered to be useful for me – no way to stream locally stored video is a dealbreaker, even at $35.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)

The forum ‘TV’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: