Our City Online

Messageboard - TV

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Google Chromecast

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion TV Google Chromecast

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Chromecast Is Google’s Miracle Device

BY MAT HONAN

07.24.132:23 PM

At an event where everyone was expecting a new Android tablet ( and got one) Google announced something far more interesting and important: The Chromecast, a small stick that jacks into the back of your television via HDMI and allows you to sling content via Wi-Fi from your phone, tablet or computer to the big screen. It costs $35, and comes with three months of free Netflix (even for existing subscribers), which means it effectively costs $11 plus shipping. On paper at least, it’s the best device Google has ever announced.

READ MORE: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/07/chromecast-is-googles-miracle-device

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Really interested in this, particularly that it connects to an HDMI port and I’m assuming can play your actual files as well as streams.

futureman
    Participant

Actually, I thought I read it *can’t* stream actual files. Only Hulu, Netflix and a couple of the other usuals. Is this true?

It also needs to be plugged in to an outlet at all times, which could be a problem for those who have a nice cleanly mounted TV on the wall.

ETA: It can’t stream local files – http://readwrite.com/2013/07/25/chromecast-google-fast-facts#awesm=~ocCnZrnKGdQKIR. Though a Plex app could come out and change that.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

from Gizmodo

And because Chromecast doesn’t actually stream from your device—instead it pulls what you want to watch from the cloud—it almost certainly won’t play your local media. All of this is unideal.

They still praise it though. I don’t think it’s for me since my PS3/Xbox 360 and some of my other devices already do what it does.

http://gizmodo.com/youd-be-crazy-not-to-buy-google-chromecast-897794491

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Yeah, so far…

The downside is that if you have a big media library saved on, say, your PC, you’d first have to upload it YouTube or another compatible site before you can play it through your TV—at least for now. Google’s new Googlecast Software Developer Kit could change all that, though. Now that developers can make existing and future apps work with Chromecast, it’s not hard to imagine some crafty app maker figuring out how to pull in local files too.

10 Things You Need To Know About Google’s New Chromecast

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I’m really not getting the hype for this thing. I mean, I get that it’s only $35, but I can’t see why I’d want one.

futureman
    Participant

Mister Shifter said:
    I’m really not getting the hype for this thing. I mean, I get that it’s only $35, but I can’t see why I’d want one.

I’m not really either, I already have a half dozen devices that do the same thing.

The performance seems so so at the moment. Without a flawless wifi connection it lags badly.

kit444
    Participant

Mister Shifter said:

I could see it if you didn’t already have a console or Roxio, etc. but otherwise no.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Mister Shifter said:

For me? With a spare bedroom that I use as a workout room, I don’t want cable in there, don’t want a console game in there, but like having something to watch on the small non-smart TV…so popping in a thing for 35 bucks that lets me watch netflix (or better yet, workout videos if it allows you to do files later on) would be pretty great.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

We’ve got a mac mini connected to our living room TV that we control remotely and can play anything and everything on.

So while this new device isn’t a good replacement, it sounds like a super cheap add-on for a secondary TV. Or great for someone who isn’t a techie and wants something easy and cheap.

futureman
    Participant

I don’t know, this seems like much more like a techie person device than say a Roku box.

I highly doubt my parents could use it for example.

ntn
    ntn
    Participant

futureman said:

It also needs to be plugged in to an outlet at all times, which could be a problem for those who have a nice cleanly mounted TV on the wall.

You can plug it in to a the TV’s usb

groundrules
    Participant

Walker said:
    We’ve got a mac mini connected to our living room TV that we control remotely and can play anything and everything on.

talk to me about this ‘control remotely’ thing. I’ve got the same set up, but just use a bluetooth keyboard from the couch. whatcha got?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

groundrules said:
    talk to me about this ‘control remotely’ thing. I’ve got the same set up, but just use a bluetooth keyboard from the couch. whatcha got?

We just use the “Screen Sharing” function built into OSX to pull up the mac mini remotely from either my laptop or Anne’s laptop (I think there’s iPhone functions too, but I never bothered to look into it).

http://osxdaily.com/2012/10/10/remote-control-mac-screen-sharing-os-x/

The only fault is that it can be a little clunky to change the volume or pause or do anything like that if you’ve closed your laptop and have to wake it back up and reconnect first. But it works pretty well for us.

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

groundrules said:

I’ll tell you my setup. We have a Lenovo q180 set up on our TV. It came with a keyboard mouse combo. Hopefully the picture embeds properly. If Not Lenovo Keyboard Mouse Combo

I also downloaded the Unified Remote app which essentially makes your phone or tablet (Galaxy Nexus/ Nexus 7 in my case) a touchscreen mouse for the PC. There is a driver that you have to download on the PC and it runs pretty smoothly.

If you’re IOS based Logitech had a touchscreen mouse app that I used to use before I switched to Android.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

The forum ‘TV’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: