Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Goodbye Columbus

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

The last few days have been very amazing. A co-worker named Bob came into my office Monday afternoon to talk about our careers in the agency.

Then my phone rang. It was the new Attorney General of the Virgin Islands. He is an old friend; we started together on the same day in the office twenty years ago. I saw in the news that he had been nominated to be Attorney General a few days earlier. I did not have his email address and I did not feel entitled to call him to congratulate him. There he was calling me.

And then he asked me to come work for him. In fact, he insisted. You see, the Virgin Islands is involved in billions of dollars (yes…BILLIONS) in tax litigation with a partnership that owns an oil refinery on St. Croix.

http://virginislandsdailynews.com/news/hovensa-owners-sue-v-i-government-for-236m-1.1812057
    http://www.law360.com/articles/636970/pdvsa-disputes-4-billion-virgin-islands-tax-assessment

So, a long story short…I am going back to my old job in the Virgin Islands. I start on Monday. I fly down on Sunday. I gave my two weeks notice earlier today; I will take one week of vacation so I can be on St. Thomas to get briefed on the case and start working on it, then I will be back in Ohio for a week for my final week on the job. Then back to the islands…and back and forth for a while.

Mae will be joining me soon. We have to sort through our belongings. We have to find a place to live. We have to sell our house in Olde Towne East.

I love Columbus. I was born here. This is my home. I will miss it. Hopefully I will be back. My family is all here. Some of them are very sad that we are leaving. But this is the case of a lifetime and if I did not take this offer I would regret it.

Funny thing is that several months ago one of the lawyers working on the case made a post on FaceBook talking about the lawsuit. I posted a comment where, in jest, I wondered if the USVI might hire me back to litigate the case. Oh well….my jest became reality.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I hear the winters in St. Thomas are terrible.

Or something.

Also, no streetcar and short buildings.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

I hear the winters in St. Thomas are terrible.

Or something.

Also, no streetcar and short buildings.

You are so right Coremodels. Life in paradise is pure, unending hell.

DavidF
    Participant

Congratulations Hugh! Hopefully you won’t stop posting here.

drew
    Participant

Hugh – I’m a coffee runner, that’s what I do. I get people coffee. I’m good at it, in fact I’m the best in the contiguous 48. This makes me sad, makes me complacent. It’s lonely at the top. I need a challenge, and I need a change of coffee fetching scenery.

Public servants need coffee – lots of it, strong and hot. I can provide. I’m the best.

What I’m saying, Hugh, is that you need me. And I need you. In a tropical setting.

Wait a minute, they don’t have street cars? Screw that. Offer rescinded.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Congrats and best of luck to you both!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Sounds like a pretty amazing opportunity! Congrats! :D

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Congrats, sounds like an adventure.

Roland
    Participant

I’ll never forget when that AT-AT made of legos fell on your head. /sniff I thought you were a goner.

Lets have a BBQ and celebrate!

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Hugh – I’m a coffee runner, that’s what I do. I get people coffee. I’m good at it, in fact I’m the best in the contiguous 48. This makes me sad, makes me complacent. It’s lonely at the top. I need a challenge, and I need a change of coffee fetching scenery.

Public servants need coffee – lots of it, strong and hot. I can provide. I’m the best.

What I’m saying, Hugh, is that you need me. And I need you. In a tropical setting.

Wait a minute, they don’t have street cars? Screw that. Offer rescinded.

Drew, it is really unfortunate, but there already is someone named “Drew” on St. Thomas who serves coffee. He is an old friend of mine who is a co-owner of the Frenchtown Deli. The island is too small for there to be more than one coffee server named “Drew.”

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

I give up. I was trying to post an update…but CU will not show it. I do not know why. Oh..it lets me post THIS message. Okay. Here is my update.

I signed a lease for an apartment.

https://virgin.craigslist.org/apa/5151899929.html

I also have a deposit down on a car:

http://clients.automanager.com/009946/vehicle-details/2011-ford-fiesta-se-sedan-f7afb1bcc56b7c49bf6c5e8a37234be1

My first week on the job was exciting. There were a few old friends. I made a bunch of new friends. My supervisor is great. The uber-boss is a friend who respects me. The work is challenging, exciting, and crucial.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

I signed a lease for an apartment. Here is the view:

View from my Apartment

I also have a deposit down on a car:

Greenie the Third

My first week on the job was exciting. There were a few old friends. I made a bunch of new friends. My supervisor is great. The uber-boss is a friend who respects me. The work is challenging, exciting, and crucial.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

:) nice view!

rus
    rus
    Participant

Late to the party, but have fun out there, Hugh.

ricospaz
    Participant

Good Riddance. Columbus already has too many lawyers.

Haha I kid I kid. Congrats to you and your wife! You’ll miss the CBus winters one day!r

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: