Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Good Soft Pretzels in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Good Soft Pretzels in Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author

Twixlen
    Participant

That’s outstanding! Thanks indeed for the recipe — the only ones I’d found were ridiculously complicated or used the dreaded lye…

DonnaTate

I think I’m going to have to walk to Omega and try theirs. I figure if I walk a mile to the market, I can order a soft pretzel and still lose some baby weight :) And carrying the little guy in his bjorn helps burn the calories a little faster. I’m totally willing to rent him out to anyone looking to amp up their weight loss program hehehe! ;) j/k

I add my vote for Omega and their pretzel rolls! The catch: they only bake them friday and saturday (maybe sunday). If you get there around noon, they are usually hot out of the oven. BEST in town.

AmyJ
    Participant

It’s a bit of a hike, but Resch’s Bakery on Livingston has great pretzels as well. Resch’s has great everything now that I think of it.

lifeliberty
    Participant

Woke early on Saturday to get to the Clintonville Farmers market before noon to snag a Brezel. I couldn’t find their booth, was bummed and left.
    I’ll have to check out Omega.

Thanks for coming out to the Clintonville Farmers’ Market in search of brezel! Sorry you couldn’t find us – our booth was in front of Global Gallery. Sounds like it’s time for a giant pink brezel flag!

We post on our site where we’ll be around town – so feel free to check it out!

http://www.brezelpower.com

lifeliberty
    Participant

maybe the farmers mkt needs a map or something. I even asked a lady vendor on the street corner of global gallery where the brezel stand was and she said she thought it might be south(down past the wine shop)because she saw some people carrying stuff toward there. Definitely get a bigger sign if the people across from you can’t find you! Looking fwd to next try. Are you always in the same spot?

Hopefully, we’ll be in the same spot for most of this season… it all depends on how many vendors attend each market… sometimes the organizers have to shuffle us around for space or variety.

If it helps – we’ve got a big sign on the front of our table, and bright yellow table cloths. The market information tent should definitely be able to tell you where each vendor is located.

I’ll suggest the map idea, too!

lifeliberty
    Participant

mariabgentile wrote >>
    The market information tent

I didn’t see that either! LOL
    There’s a reason I don’t get up early on the weekends!

I’ll keep my eyes open next time, yellow table cloth, got it. :)

lifeliberty
    Participant

DonnaTate wrote >>
    Ingredients
    4 teaspoons active dry yeast
    1 teaspoon white sugar
    1 1/4 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
    5 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1/2 cup baking soda
    4 cups hot water
    1/4 cup kosher salt, for topping
    Directions

So…wanting pretzels and not being able to get up before noon, I made this recipe on Saturday. They turned out really great, better than what you can get in a store. They were very easy to make, and it seems easy to experiment in the future. there is no way to eat all of them, so I put them in the freezer. then all you have to do is take them out and microwave them for 30 seconds and they come out hot and fresh. I did end up basting salted butter on mine after the baking soda on a few which tasted really good. some of the ones that I reheated after freezing got lightly topped with salsa con queso which turned out to be very addictive. Thanks for the recipe!

twentzel

Smokey Bones has really good soft pretzels. I also really like the jalapeno cheddar pretzel at Auntie Anne’s. However, after reading the other comments, it sound like I may need to venture beyond the chains :-).

DonnaTate

lifeliberty wrote >>

DonnaTate wrote

So…wanting pretzels and not being able to get up before noon, I made this recipe on Saturday. They turned out really great, better than what you can get in a store. They were very easy to make, and it seems easy to experiment in the future. there is no way to eat all of them, so I put them in the freezer. then all you have to do is take them out and microwave them for 30 seconds and they come out hot and fresh. I did end up basting salted butter on mine after the baking soda on a few which tasted really good. some of the ones that I reheated after freezing got lightly topped with salsa con queso which turned out to be very addictive. Thanks for the recipe!

I’m glad you liked them!! Putting them in the freezer is a good idea. You definitely can’t just put them in a container with a lid unless you like soggy pretzels the next day. I’m going to have to try that next time. :)

lifeliberty
    Participant

I thought they might turn hard as a rock overnight if I didn’t freeze them, or at least hard before I could eat all of them. when you buy Super Pretzels, they are frozen and you nuke them for 30 seconds and they come out fresh, so I just did the same thing. I actually liked them better after a night of freezing for some reason, the spicy cheese sauce might helped with that though. and I used the big Super Pretzel Salt. I plan on to continue making them so as to keep stock on hand in the freezer.

With just the butter and salt fresh out of the oven, it reminded me of breakfast biscuits, but after a night of freezing and the cheese sauce it was all pretzel.

DonnaTate wrote >>
    Ingredients
    4 teaspoons active dry yeast
    1 teaspoon white sugar
    1 1/4 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
    5 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1/2 cup baking soda
    4 cups hot water
    1/4 cup kosher salt, for topping
    Directions
    1.In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
    2.In a large bowl, mix together flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and salt. Make a well in the center; add the oil and yeast mixture. Mix and form into a dough. If the mixture is dry, add one or two tablespoons of water. Knead the dough until smooth, about 7 to 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
    3.Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). In a large bowl, dissolve baking soda in hot water.
    4.When risen, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a rope and twist into a pretzel shape. Once all of the dough is all shaped, dip each pretzel into the baking soda solution and place on a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
    5.Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes, until browned.

Thanks for the recipe. I love soft pretzels!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: