Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Good Soft Pretzels in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Good Soft Pretzels in Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author

Anybody know where one can get a good soft pretzel in Columbus? Especially near the OSU Campus/Clintonville area.

lifeliberty
    Participant

You mean like right now? maybe 7-eleven. one on Lane and one on 9th.

I don’t know if speedway sells them or not.

B picks the frozen ones up for me sometimes(from any grocery store). a little water, some salt, 30 sec nuke and they have always been good.

Roland
    Participant

My favorite soft pretzel in town is from Schmidt’s down in GV. I go there just for that appetizer. I think they toss them in the fryer or something. They have a crisp to them and are served with a honey mustard.

The Brezel gals make a nice pretzel too. Not sure if they have a shop yet, but they make appearances at very functions around town.

http://www.brezelpower.com/index.html

lifeliberty
    Participant

I really need to get some of those but never run across them. maybe I’ll get to the R bar specifically for a brezel pretzel,

or hal & als

Brezel Pretzels
    Made from scratch right here in Columbus. Big , hot and delicious Bavarian pretzels.

$3.00

Luna Burger
    What’s better than a delicious, local veggie burger with lettuce and tomato? The same burger served on a delicious, local Brezel Pretzel bun.

$6.00

Stewz
    Participant

Dirty Franks pretzals are great too!

lifeliberty
    Participant

Stewz wrote >>
    Dirty Franks pretzals are great too!

they are a little too greasy and heavy for me…

SusanB
    Participant

Unfortunately DF’s are fried, not baked. Too greasy. Love DF otherwise though (ate there last night).

DonnaTate

They’re incredibly easy to make. I have a great recipe if you’re interested :)

When I lived in Raleigh I would get them at Mellow Mushroom and I remember them being pretty good. There’s one of those in Polaris I think.

somertimeoh
    Participant

But Dirty Frank’s has the sriracha mustard and whatever that cheese in a cup is that makes double dipping insanely delicious. I’d dip anything in sriracha mustard.

I’m interested in a great soft pretzel recipe.

I’ll have to try Schmidt’s and Dirty Frank’s.

Bernard’s makes a mean soft pretzel, too.

lifeliberty
    Participant

DonnaTate wrote >>
    I have a great recipe if you’re interested :)

post up please! thanks!

I used to have one but lost it.

DonnaTate

Ingredients
    4 teaspoons active dry yeast
    1 teaspoon white sugar
    1 1/4 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
    5 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1/2 cup baking soda
    4 cups hot water
    1/4 cup kosher salt, for topping

Directions
    1.In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
    2.In a large bowl, mix together flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and salt. Make a well in the center; add the oil and yeast mixture. Mix and form into a dough. If the mixture is dry, add one or two tablespoons of water. Knead the dough until smooth, about 7 to 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
    3.Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). In a large bowl, dissolve baking soda in hot water.
    4.When risen, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a rope and twist into a pretzel shape. Once all of the dough is all shaped, dip each pretzel into the baking soda solution and place on a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
    5.Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes, until browned.

DonnaTate

This recipe is nice because you don’t need lye, and they come out buttery and soft. They’ve got a hint of sweet to them so you could easily coat them with cinnamon and sugar instead of salt.

I usually just eat them as the recipe suggests, but I think I’m going to try melting some butter and dipping them inthe butter after coming out of the oven.
    They’re best fresh, but if you store them it’s best not to cover them so they don’t get soggy.

cc

DonnaTate wrote >>
    This recipe is nice because you don’t need lye, and they come out buttery and soft. They’ve got a hint of sweet to them so you could easily coat them with cinnamon and sugar instead of salt.
    I usually just eat them as the recipe suggests, but I think I’m going to try melting some butter and dipping them inthe butter after coming out of the oven.
    They’re best fresh, but if you store them it’s best not to cover them so they don’t get soggy.

Thanks for the recipe!

sperk101
    Participant

Just this weekend I bought a little soft pretzel ball from Omega Artisan Baking in the North Market. I’ve been raving about it since! It was only $0.95 and absolutely delightful with a chewy outside, soft middle and just the right amount of salt on top. Mmmm!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION