Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Good soccer bar in Columbus?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Good soccer bar in Columbus?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • Author

michaelcoyote
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>
    We went to Claddaughs yesterday and had a blast. I couldn’t believe how packed it got.

My brother was there all day yesterday and I guess they had the inside and a large outdoor setup both packed with fans.

I didn’t make it down there, but instead watched the match from the bar at Bodega where they had the world cup up on projector over the bar. I thought that there were just a few of us watching until I realized how noisy it was getting when something happened onscreen. Not Claddaugh, but still pretty fun.

Wert09

This might be a long shot but are there any Brazilians in Columbus getting together to watch Brazil play? My wife is Brazilian and she’d love to find some of her fellow countrymen and women to meet up with. Hopefully someone will have some info! Thanks.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Claddaugh is unlikely to get my business or anyone else’s in this town: https://www.columbusunderground.com/turmoil-at-claddagh-irish-pub-in-brewery-district
    http://anamericangame.wordpress.com/2010/06/14/the-grisly-details/

Really, they probably ought to just sell the place now and get it over with.

berdawn

there is a boycott claddagh facebook group if anyone is interested.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

berdawn wrote >>

Probably redundant, but go ahead and post it.

More on topic, where am I going to be able to watch WC with 2500+ other fans?

Considering joining HSH so I can go and drink at their new clubhouse.

berdawn

michaelcoyote wrote >>

berdawn wrote >>

Probably redundant, but go ahead and post it.
    More on topic, where am I going to be able to watch WC with 2500+ other fans?
    Considering joining HSH so I can go and drink at their new clubhouse.

not likely to fit 2500 fans in there…but WC, Crew away games, then the regular season (Claddagh was open at 7 on Sat and 9 on sundays-not a lot of places willing to do that) it’s a grim viewing landscape, other than one’s living room.

groundrules
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote >>
    where am I going to be able to watch WC with 2500+ other fans?

Without the US/ENG buzz, probably not 2500 fans anywhere again even if Cla-duh was still on. But the stadium usually has a pretty festive collective atmosphere.

JohnRClem
    Participant

As one of the leaders for Crew Union and one of the people that helped organize the viewing party for US-Eng on Saturday at Claddagh I’ll be at the Stadium for the rest of the US games.

As for future Crew games…we’re still discussing that. Suggestions are welcome for places open to soccer that are centrally located.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

JohnRClem wrote >>
    As one of the leaders for Crew Union and one of the people that helped organize the viewing party for US-Eng on Saturday at Claddagh I’ll be at the Stadium for the rest of the US games.
    As for future Crew games…we’re still discussing that. Suggestions are welcome for places open to soccer that are centrally located.

I’ll probably be joining you there.

I can only imagine that a bar owner willing to commit to creating a great soccer bar in Columbus could do worse than to hire Craig and as many of his staff as possible. Any entrepreneurs up to the challenge?

groundrules: The further the US makes it into the finals, the bigger the buzz will be. Don’t count the US out yet.

groundrules
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote >>

groundrules: The further the US makes it into the finals, the bigger the buzz will be. Don’t count the US out yet.

well, I’m not counting anyone out. Just saying crowd-wise, a lot of people were out because they are england fans too. It’s just that that game is gonna have a LOT of hype. And if you’re a casual soccer fan, USA vs England is something you can sink your teeth into quite a bit more than US vs, say… Slovenia. Also, 2:30 saturday is gonna have a lot bigger bar crowd than 9:30AM on work day.

berdawn

I wonder if mad mex would be up for hosting? while they probably couldn’t touch the bloody mary bar, the are set up for sports watching (and the drinking of some awesome beers). not sure if there is any OSU/Crew/EPL/Serie A overlap, tho.

groundrules
    Participant

just an FYI, other bars doing stuff: Grandview Cafe, Gallo’s Tap Room for sure. I’ve also watched plenty of soccer at (gasp) BW3s.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Wonder if you could convince Short North Tavern to show on that giant screen they have. That’s my fave place to watch OSU Football…always a good time and drinks and eats are cheap there.

EmZeeGee

Perhaps Studio 35?

berdawn

or I could count my blessings:
    From the AP
    MOGADISHU, Somalia – Islamist insurgents in Somalia arrested 14 teenagers for watching a World Cup soccer match, accusing them of “time-wasting” and warning others against viewing the world’s most-watched sporting event.

The group was watching the game between Germany and Australia on a television at a house in Afgoye, 19 miles west of the capital, Mogadishu, when they were seized late Sunday, Sheikh Abdisamad Abdulahi, a commander of the Hisbul Islam militia, said yesterday.

“Our troops stormed their room and arrested all of the boys,” he said. “They have violated our orders not to watch such time-wasting games.”

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: