Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Good Funeral Home to Cremate Pets

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Good Funeral Home to Cremate Pets

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • Author

lifeliberty
    Participant

thanks. He is 11 now and he has good days and not so good days. It is just something I have thought about over the years. And when Fate (dog that Life was raised together with) died unexpectedly (bloat) Jess was in Dayton with her husband and they had to rush her to emergency care there, well, lets just say I am happy I wasn’t there, what they went through was very stressfull and sudden. That situation was especially hard being they were in a different city than Columbus and they had to find emergency services there…I’m not going to go into it, man, now I’m sad…
    anyway, I’m just trying to be realistic and have a plan so I don’t have to make any decisions at that time.

jennyw
    Participant

Bloat is what Sollie (pictured in my avatar) died of. It was terrible.

Anyway, as painful as this is, you are so wise to be thinking of this stuff now. Our family dog was 17 years when we put her to sleep, and, as macabre as it might sound, I regret that we didn’t do it sooner , because the last few weeks were terrible. Better to make decisions when you’re in a clear frame of mind, not when you’re overwhelmed with grief.

groundrules
    Participant

Okay, I can speak specifically to this. It’s not nice to talk about and a bit gruesome, but I’ll speak about it frankly so apolgies if this sounds gruff. But believe me, this stuff is best worked out when you’re still sane. Planning is so key. As an aside, there is such a thing as pet hospice- you can make a plan for comfort care as the last days arrive as well. having pain medication or a sedative on hand can be very comforting for both you and your critter. Dr. Tami Shearer is a bit of a forerunner in the field, and unfortunately no longer practices in columbus, but her website is useful. http://www.shearerpethealth.com/

With specific regards to cremation, my recommendation is Schoedinger Funeral Home downtown. They are very specific about making sure that they do one animal at a time. Other places may assure that you get your ashes by separating pets with fire bricks, kind of compartmentalizing the ashes, and like cookie said, you might also get a hodge-podge from other places. But I’m fairly sure that shoedingers is the only place that one pet per trip through the oven.

Other logistics: They can pick your animal up from your home. this is a little bit more expensive. They can pick it up from a vet’s office, this is a little less expensive. Or, you can take the pet to them. I think for a cat, it cost about 80 bucks for the entire service- pick up, cremation, fur clipping, plaque, and wooden box, plus a certificate from the funeral director certifying its yours. Cost varies with body weight, as bigger animal means more gas + time.

Besides that, they were completely professional about it. They treated it (and me) exactly as if it were a human loss. They have a pet services coordinator who did exactly what she should. They coordinate a grief group if you want. They made this process as normal and trouble free as can be imagined. Never once did I feel less important for doing a pet deal there, and they were very sympathetic. http://www.schoedinger.com/pet_services.shtml

My sympathies to you. I hope you don’t need this any time soon, but I applaud your foresight.

desecration
    Participant

:( When we had to make the decision to let our furry child go last year, the cremation services were done through Schoedinger. They were very kind, respectful, and professional.

http://www.schoedinger.com/pet_services.shtml

catnfiddle
    Participant

Wow. Pandora (the Cat to my Fiddle) is eleven this year and has been diabetic for the past two. I’m kinda bracing for these inevitabilities so knowing the options out there helps.

misskitty
    Participant

so sorry to hear about you friend :(
    My pup passed a few years ago he was a irishwolf hound Otter hound mix think 180lbs.
    The only thing that made it a little easier for me was the fact that is was 16 and that was far past what he was suppose to live. He never suffered just one day died. We used schoedinger’s pet services.

lifeliberty
    Participant

Just want to say thanks for all the replies and PMs, it is greatly appreciated. I hope this info does help others as well. I also wanted to point out that Columbus does have at least two 24 hours vet hospitals with emergency care, OSU http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/771.htm and the one in Worthington http://www.medvet-cves.com/emergency.asp

Also, when thinking of this stuff, I found it’s not a good idea to rent “Marley and Me”

Cookie

lifeliberty wrote >>
    Just want to say thanks for all the replies and PMs, it is greatly appreciated. I hope this info does help others as well. I also wanted to point out that Columbus does have at least two 24 hours vet hospitals with emergency care, OSU http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/771.htm and the one in Worthington http://www.medvet-cves.com/emergency.asp

MedVet is where I ended up with my kitty, and they did all they could to make the process of putting him to sleep as easy as possible. They had a nice quiet, non-institutional, den-like room that they let me stay in with my kitty for as long as I wanted before the procedure. They explained everything that would happen before we began. I held him as gave him the injection, and it was all over within seconds. They offered to let me stay in the room with him afterward for as long as I wanted, but that wasn’t something I wanted to do. I believe that we discussed the arrangements for the cremation beforehand, so that I could leave immediately afterward without having to deal with any paperwork. This was my only experience with putting a pet to sleep, but for as difficult a situation as it was, they did an excellent job of making it as comfortable as possible for both of us.

Sorry if that was too much information, but I had no idea what to expect, and I thought they did a pretty good job, all things considered.

groundrules
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>
    MedVet is where I ended up with my kitty, and they did all they could to make the process of putting him to sleep as easy as possible. They had a nice quiet, non-institutional, den-like room that they let me stay in with my kitty for as long as I wanted before the procedure. They explained everything that would happen before we began. I held him as gave him the injection, and it was all over within seconds. They offered to let me stay in the room with him afterward for as long as I wanted, but that wasn’t something I wanted to do. I believe that we discussed the arrangements for the cremation beforehand, so that I could leave immediately afterward without having to deal with any paperwork. This was my only experience with putting a pet to sleep, but for as difficult a situation as it was, they did an excellent job of making it as comfortable as possible for both of us.
    Sorry if that was too much information, but I had no idea what to expect, and I thought they did a pretty good job, all things considered.

+1

byJody
    Participant

@cookie I too had my kitty euthanized at MedVet, probably the room you spoke of. They were so kind to us, it ended up being on Memorial Day, which I guess is good and bad. It becomes a day to mark the loss.

I was really happy with how MedVet handled it and I asked for final arrangements to be made through Schoedinger even though that is not their standard partner. Schoedinger is very good with their Pet Services and they recognize the grief part of the process. (disclosure: I used to work there).

The whole ordeal was as best as I could expect for such a difficult time.

And yes, that rainbow bridge poem is heart wrenching, but somehow helpful too.

SusanB
    Participant

My guys all go to Dr. Beer on Main St in OTE so when we lost our dog Zak we took him to Cook + Sons on Parsons. Dr. Beer can take care of it or you can take your pet to Cook + Sons yourself. I howled and cried like a baby and miss him still, although I’m happy to report a that we now have new doggy, a rescue we named Charlie.

columbusfoodie
    Participant

Damn, I’m crying just reading this thread. I know it’s cheesy, but I love my animals as if they were my own kids (in a way they are, since P. and I don’t have and don’t plan on having any kids).

I’m one of those odd people who can relate more to animals than I can to people. When the time comes for one of mine (sooner rather than later, since my beagle Sadie is around 11 or so), I know I’m going to lose it. I had a meltdown when we had to have a hamster euthanized because of wet tail. Glad to know there are options out there that treat your pets with respect.

I think I’m going to hug my pets extra hard today.

lifeliberty
    Participant

lifeliberty wrote >>
    I also wanted to point out that Columbus does have at least two 24 hours vet hospitals with emergency care, OSU http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/771.htm and the one in Worthington http://www.medvet-cves.com/emergency.asp

I found a 3rd place, though not 24 hours, it has night and weekends and the ad states it is “1/3 less than local dedicated emergency facilities.”
    http://www.animalhospitalofpolaris.com/contact-us/directions-and-hours.asp
    It’s not the closest, but might come in handi when your vet is closed(nights/weekends) and you don’t require immediate emergency assistance at the closest place.

patient_zero
    Participant

byJody wrote >>

@cookie
    I too had my kitty euthanized at MedVet, probably the room you spoke of. They were so kind to us…

My feline companion of 19 years, Hope, was experiencing respiratory failure due to anemia after 1 a.m. this morning. Knowing that Oakcreek wouldn’t be open for another 7 hours, I took her to MedVet as well, and they were most gracious in my time of need. Though I would have rather had Dr. Nelson see her through her last minutes of life on this Earth, the same vet who spayed her 19 years ago, I was thankful to have access to a caring veterinary clinic that early in the morning.

MedVet offered a reflection room, as well as a reflection green space with a bubbling, tranquil fountain. I didn’t utilize either, but they were nice provisions if I needed private time. They were willing to handle all the services, but I chose to take care of them myself today, on my own time.

What, you said snack?

roy
    Participant

Condolences, PZ. Thanks for sharing, and know that a lot of us here understand the deep grief of losing a dear animal.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: