Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Good Funeral Home to Cremate Pets

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Good Funeral Home to Cremate Pets

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • Author

lifeliberty
    Participant

What is a good funeral home to use to cremate pets?

No, I don’t need it right now, but definitely in the future.

Does anyone have experiences? Do you have to call ahead of time and have things all planned?

I don’t really know about this stuff and don’t really want to think about it, but I have to. So if anyone has any ideas or can guide me then I’d really appreciate it.

berdawn

Depending on your situation, I can highly recommend Dr. Hird at Northwest Veterinary. She can come to your home for to do the euthanasia and you can pick up the ashes from Schrodinger. It was much less traumatic for everyone than taking a trip to the office.

Cookie

lifeliberty wrote >>
    What is a good funeral home to use to cremate pets?
    No, I don’t need it right now, but definitely in the future.
    Does anyone have experiences? Do you have to call ahead of time and have things all planned?
    I don’t really know about this stuff and don’t really want to think about it, but I have to. So if anyone has any ideas or can guide me then I’d really appreciate it.

Vets usually have a relationship with a funeral home and can help you with the arrangments. I had gotten the price information about a funeral home from my vet, but ended up having to have my cat put to sleep at an emergency vet. I believe all that I told them was that I wanted him to be cremated alone. (You can have them cremated with other animals and then get some mixed bag of ashes, which is less expensive, but really not anything that I was interested in.) They returned the ashes to me in a wooden box with a plaque with my kitty’s name, year of birth, and year of death, a card with his paw prints, and some poems that I thought were incredibly sappy beforehand but made me cry when I read them again after his death.

lifeliberty
    Participant

yeah, the rainbow bridge poem….not looking fwd to that! ;)

and +1 for doing it in the home, I def need to set that up.

Cookie

lifeliberty wrote >>
    yeah, the rainbow bridge poem….not looking fwd to that! ;)
    and +1 for doing it in the home, I def need to set that up.

Ask your vet about it. Mine had said that they would be willing to do it. Unfortunately, my kitty took a turn for the worse over the holidays.

berdawn

My regular vet doesn’t provide that, but was happy to send records so that NW could see I wasn’t just offing random cats.

jennyw
    Participant

I don’t have a lot of constructive advice to give here, but it might be worthwhile to call your vet (if it’s one you like and feel comfortable with) to ask them about their recommendations about that stuff. My dog died suddenly, in the middle of the night in May; I brought him to the vet (Beechwold Veterinary Hospital) that morning, and they handled dealing with the funeral home, etc. for me, and the ashes were ready the next day.

Also I wanted to extend my sympathies. Losing an animal companion sucks. (And even though that Rainbow Bridge stuff is pretty lame, and the pet-loss websites are full of cheesy graphics and songs, they still made/make me cry. Like, a lot.)

lifeliberty
    Participant

yeah, I suppose I’ll be crying like a little girl, a VERY drunk little girl, but a little girl nontheless.

Tenzo
    Participant

Just reading this thread makes me cry.

My wife has instructions to have me sedated and observed should something happen to my dog.

lifeliberty
    Participant

whatever I do, I WILL NOT be making a fur rug out of him ala that disturbing craigslist add, LOL! (4th post down in this thread https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/the-best-writeup-on-columbus-craigslist-i-ve-ever-seen)
    or like in Coraline, the old actresses in the basement taxidermied their dogs, that’s not happening either.

Matthew
    Participant

I used these guys for one of my birds. http://www.petcremationcolumbus.com/

They were cheaper than the traditional funeral homes, came and picked the body up and delivered it the next day in a nice box with a plaque.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

When my little guy passed in November it was pretty sudden and very hard on all of us. We ended up at Spence’s (IIRC-I was a mess that day) on 256/Hill Road by Seaton Parish. We simply showed up and inquired. They cremated him and placed the ashes in a nice wooden box, along with a card and a little trimming of his fur.

TaraK
    Participant

I don’t know what you people are talking about, as I am assured that my kitteh’s are immortal.

————–

Seriously, I’m very sorry you’re having to think about these choices. Preparing, though, might make it less difficult, at least on a functional level.

patient_zero
    Participant

Mama in the aftermath of the 2008 snowstorm

The brother and sister team (Bill Nelson and Kathleen Nelson) at Oak Creek Vets (Westerville) offered many options and services when Mama’s congestive heart failure was no longer treatable. Their charges were minimal considering the services rendered.

I made the decision to drive Mama there by myself, and bring her back home, by myself. It was the most miserable experience I’ve ever forced myself to do, and I’ll never do it that way ever again. Have a professional come to you, and let them handle the final details, from euthanasia to cremation. I can’t remember the company they employed, but they could fill you in on the details and options.

The little white clay paw print is a nice momento.

Peace.

Core_Models

This thread has put me in a bad place :(

I’m guessing this is for Life, and if so, thoughts are with you LL.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION