Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Good butcher shops?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Good butcher shops?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

CB_downtowner
    Participant

Hi all, I’m sure this was asked at some point or another. What are some good butcher shops in Columbus. Both downtown as well as toward Hilliard area? I used to go to Rife Market. I know North Market has some good meat places and there are groceries with good meat selection. But unfamiliar with options beyond that.

tolemac5050
    Participant

Mosleys meat market…Hilliard Rome road..just south of Roberts…free standing building east side of road…great market

Baxter642
    Participant

Mosleys – already mentioned
    Bluescreek – north market
    Blystone farm – canal Winchester (I believe they actually butcher their own animals)
    Meat packers outlet – downtown Columbus
    Schuman’s – South Columbus
    House of Meats (in andersons) heard its good but I have never been.
    Weilands has a pretty good selection and butchering capability as well.

If you’re looking for pork and german style butcher Thurn’s should be you’re go to. Pork butts, sausage. They will even dress your deer.

mygaragebay
    Participant

Yes Mosley’s meat market Hilliard
    http://mosleysmeatmarket.com
    And thurn’s fine meats greenlawn ave
    http://thurnsmeats.com
    Rifes will be missed.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

By chance I have this on the clipboard

http://www.thurnsmeats.com/pages/Fresh_Pork

…and I have an offset smoker.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Carfagna’s deserves a mention.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Carfagnas is outstanding. Don’t sleep on La Plaza Tapatia, they have unusual cuts that are not expensive. Also underrated is the counter at Lucky’s. They cut and grind from primals there and I have found their specials are good deals.

dashinhilliard
    Participant

I would drive to Carfagna’s any day of the week for the quality and customer service that I feel is lacking at Mosley’s. I’ve enjoyed the Butcher at Fresh Thyme on Sawmill as well.

CB_downtowner
    Participant

All excellent advice. Thanks everyone! I’ll look into these places, but these are great options!

maveric1
    Participant

I have to vouch for Carfagna’s. Very friendly, knowledgeable and quality is very good. I bought my prime rib there for X-mas dinner and it was very tender and delicious.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Doing a Leg of Lamb for Christmas this year… This thread has great suggestions of places to try to get one.

Anyone have advice on a place for that specific meat/cut?

duncanfj
    Participant

Bluescreek

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Al Safa? (Trabue/Wilson)

I’ve moved to the west side, and re-reading this thread makes me want to check out Mosley’s.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Weilands is good. They’re in Clintonville which isn’t too far from downtown. Just straight up N 4th and Indianola. On the #4 bus.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: