Our City Online

Messageboard - Volunteering Opportunities

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Giving Back to the Community

Home Forums Events Volunteering Opportunities Giving Back to the Community

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

DonnaTate

Giving back to the community is something that’s very important to me, so I’m looking for some suggestions on organizations that are in need of volunteers.

I’ve contacted several organizations, but have had a difficult time getting responses back from them and am kind of discouraged.

I was heavily involved with Operation Feed and the Alzheimer’s Association in the past, and really miss being involved in a worthy organization.

Thanks again for your suggestions! :)

berdawn

If you know specifically what you can do, that is most helpful. As someone who fielded calls and emails from potential volunteers at a tiny org, it’s nice that someone wants to be helpful, but if I have to find something for you to do, it’s adding to my already long list of stuff to do.

Coreroc

the C Note Art Show is seeking volunteers to assist with the needs of this large community based art event. jobs like cleaning,painting, hanging of artwork, and front door greeters are needed and we love to have any and all folkas interested in their community help out. If that sounds like a fit for you email [email protected] and we can send you a schedule of open times and needs. I also work with several local art groups that are in constant need of similar support for art events and street festivals alike.

AmyD
    Participant

local matters is always looking i think.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

DonnaTate wrote >>
    Giving back to the community is something that’s very important to me, so I’m looking for some suggestions on organizations that are in need of volunteers.
    I’ve contacted several organizations, but have had a difficult time getting responses back from them and am kind of discouraged.
    I was heavily involved with Operation Feed and the Alzheimer’s Association in the past, and really miss being involved in a worthy organization.
    Thanks again for your suggestions! :)

I am always looking for volunteers with the bike corral. We can use people on site at events to help park, set up or tear down. We can also use people for data entry following events.

Firstlink, the volunteer center in Columbus, also has a volunteer match service:

http://www.firstlink.org/public/give_help/

And, if you’re looking for one-day volunteer opportunities, the Columbus Music Co-op will soon be recruiting for our summer art and music events…we always post any volunteer opportunities we have on Columbus Underground. :)

DonnaTate

AmyD – Thanks for the suggestion! I think Local Matters is a great organization! And I wanted to tell you I just LOVE the apron in the Beer Camp prize pack!!

Coreroc – I’ll be sending an e-mail shortly :)

Berdawn – I really enjoy the behind-the-scenes work involved in planning events. I’ve pretty much done it all, and I can’t think of many tasks I wouldn’t consider :)

juliana
    Participant

You can also check out Columbus Gives Back! We host about 6-8 events each month with nonprofits around Columbus. Some are interactive (game nights at residential facilities) while others are a bit more behind the scenes. I also give a great recommendation to working with lifeontwowheels. We’ve worked with Pedal Instead and it’s a great time.

I’ve been slacking at posting volunteer opps on Columbus Underground but our events are always open to anyone over 21.

patient_zero
    Participant

Citizens For Humane Action[/url]

Cat Welfare Association[/url]

If you are into animals!

kcrissinger

patient_zero wrote >>
    Citizens For Humane Action[/url]
    Cat Welfare Association[/url]
    If you are into animals!

The Ohio Wildlife Center also has many volunteer opportunities. They rehabilitate injured and orphaned native wildlife species.

AmyD
    Participant

and sometimes, organizations will let you do stuff at home. I’ve made little vests for dogs to wear at Delaware Humane Society events with pamphlets in them on how to adopt the dogs. i don’t have lots of time to do events, but i can sew like a champ at home. just offer what you can and see if they have something that fits.
    and DonnaTate, so glad you like it!!

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Does anyone know of any volunteering at Children’s hospital. I’ve always thought it would be fun to work in the cancer ward for children, maybe as sort of a mentor or “big brother” type. I feel so bad for those kids.

yurtgirl
    yurtgirl
    Participant

jpizzow wrote >>
    Does anyone know of any volunteering at Children’s hospital. I’ve always thought it would be fun to work in the cancer ward for children, maybe as sort of a mentor or “big brother” type. I feel so bad for those kids.

Check out Franklin County CHildren Services. I was a friendship volunteer there a few years ago. You get hooked up w/ a kid and just be a friend. They offer lots of activities that are free or cheap so you aren’t always spending your own money. They ask for a commitment of at least 6 months. I actually had one of the kids I mentored call me 5 years later and she’s got her own family now. I was so proud of her, coming from the ugly background she had.

AMEEKER
    Participant

I don’t know your schedule during the day, but Crime Stoppers is looking for someone(s) to take anonymous callers’ tips on Wednesdays from 9AM-2PM.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘Volunteering Opportunities’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION