Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Giant Eagle Market District in Dublin

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping Giant Eagle Market District in Dublin

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Lu
    Participant

We received a flyer today saying that a new Market District is opening on Perimeter Loop Road in Dublin this coming Thursday, July 11. I’m guessing that it’s a conversion of the existing Giant Eagle. I hadn’t heard anything about this, so I was surprised to see the flyer. I wonder if this will be as large as the Kingsdale store. I believe the proposed one in Bexley will be significantly smaller.

News
    Participant

Press Release:
    GIANT EAGLE CELEBRATES OPENING OF NEWLY EXPANDED DUBLIN MARKET DISTRICT

TLC’s Cake Boss, Buddy Valastro unveils special commemorative Columbus themed cake

WHAT: Grand opening celebration for the Dublin Giant Eagle Market District
    WHEN: Thursday, July 11

10:00 a.m. – Ribbon cutting with unveiling of one of a kind cake creation by Cake Boss, Buddy Valastro

10:30 a.m. – Buddy Valastro gives away frozen Cake Boss Cakes to 500 customers

WHY: Central Ohio shoppers have a new place to discover the Ooooo in food. Building on the success of Kingsdale Market District, Giant Eagle, Inc. introduces its second central Ohio Market District in Dublin– a newly expanded 94,000 square-foot culinary, dining and shopping destination.

The Dublin Market District has many of the sights, smells and sounds found at the Kingsdale Market District, including a chef demonstration kitchen, expanded assortment of international foods, a bulk food section with over 300 items and enhanced beer and wine offerings.

In addition to these Market District mainstays, the new Dublin store will debut the Sizzling Asian Wok. The Sizzling Wok features a sit down bar setting with options like made to order stir fry with fresh meats, vegetables and seafood, pho and pad thai. Attached to the fresh sushi station, the Sizzling Wok and its 16-seat bar provides the perfect setting for a work lunch or a quick service option for dinner on-the-go. The Dublin Market District also features a growler station where customers can re-fill growlers with their choice of six micro- and craft-brews.

WHERE: Giant Eagle Market District Dublin
    6700 Perimeter Loop Rd
    Dublin, Ohio

Ohioirish
    Participant

the flier was the first I had heard of it also and I live in Dublin.

RBloodworth
    Participant

They more than doubled the size of the original Giant Eagle in that center about two years ago (there were a lot of vacancies at the time, so they moved all of the remaining businesses in the south end of the center north, and added all of that empty space to Giant Eagle). I was in there last week, and the signage, paint job and layout looked almost identical to the renovated Clintonville Giant Eagle, with the exception of a new case for dry-aged beef, a small exhibition kitchen and a few more areas for prepared meals. It certainly didn’t look anything close to the Market District that was built at Kingsdale, although it does have a State Liquor store.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Ohioirish said:
    the flier was the first I had heard of it also and I live in Dublin.

I’m not too surprised. Giant Eagle has been very tight lipped in the pat about their stores prior to opening.

bayrea
    Participant

I frequent this Giant Eagle about 2x’s a week. It’s nothing special. I have lived through the entire construction. Other than the expanded pharmacy and state liquor not much has changed. They added a little wine bar and expanded hot food section. But what it really managed to do was confuse the hell out of me during construction making it hard to find the items I want!

pez
    Participant

bayrea said:
    I frequent this Giant Eagle about 2x’s a week. It’s nothing special. I have lived through the entire construction. Other than the expanded pharmacy and state liquor not much has changed. They added a little wine bar and expanded hot food section. But what it really managed to do was confuse the hell out of me during construction making it hard to find the items I want!

They’ve had state liquor for years. Used to be my stopping ground on the way out 33 because they took credit cards for liquor.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I had cubicle jobs near there, the salad bar was excellent on lunch break because I could eat it back at the office. Plus, in cold weather the car was my refrigerator so I could do whatever other grocery shopping I needed, and save a stop.

If you build an elaborate salad to take out:

(a) bag it yourself so it stays right side up

(b) put it in the car so it cannot slide or fall when someone cuts in front of you on Avery.

SHthursday

Here are some things to note about this Market District. The store has grown considerably in size. It has a larger pharmacy with a drive thru pickup window now. Larger cheese selection with folks giving out samples like they do at Whole Foods. An expanded produce area including larger selection of organic and local produce. While the store already had a liquor store both it and the beer selection has increased in size and varieties carried by about 30%. They have a larger prepared food area and continual wine tastings throughout the day. Notice their shopping carts have a holder for a glass of wine or coffee just like the Market District in Arlington. They have added aged beef products to their selection and bulk oils. Just to name a few. Most people do not enjoy grocery shopping. I’m weird because I do. That is why I notice the big changes. Although it has been challenging for the past year to try and find what you were looking for during the expansion.

RBloodworth
    Participant

Oh, believe me; I noticed a HUGE difference from the last time I was in that store (I used to work a block away from this location when they started the expansion project, and the old store was pretty much unchanged from how Big Bear left it- graphics and all). It’s just that it doesn’t feel very much like a “Market District”, at least from what I know as “Market District” from the Kingsdale location. Frankly, it feels like a regular Giant Eagle store (particularly the Clintonville location) that was retrofitted with a small spattering of amenities from Kingsdale and given the Market District name. I don’t know this for certain, but it looks as if the place was expanded with the intention of keeping it as a regular Giant Eagle, and then management decided to convert it into a Market District long after the fact. Compared with the store at Kingsdale, the whole place looks like a half-assed attempt, if I’m being completely honest. Maybe they’ve done a ton of work inside there since last week, but I doubt it.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

So far, it sounds like the Market District brand is being applied as more of a marketing ploy in Dublin than the real deal. Maybe Kingsdale was just a prototype that the company has decided not to move forward with? Columbus is a test market, after all.

bob.os
    Participant

This is still my place for no-surcharge State Liquor and cheap Mexican Coke (two great tastes that taste great together!) on the way home from work.

From what I’m told the lunch options are significantly improved, but with the parking I’m still in and out of Cinco Taco at 161 & Frantz in less time than it takes me to think about heading up here at lunch.

MFRONE
    Participant

Kingsdale isn’t the first Market District, so it’s not a prototype. The first one was in Pittsburgh and they are opening another one in Strongsville (Cleveland suburb) that should be like these two as it will be a completely new building.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

MFRONE said:
    Kingsdale isn’t the first Market District, so it’s not a prototype. The first one was in Pittsburgh and they are opening another one in Strongsville (Cleveland suburb) that should be like these two as it will be a completely new building.

I was aware of the Pittsburgh stores, since GE is based there, but I’ve never actually seen or set foot in them. Are you aware of what they actually look like? Are they like Kingsdale or just souped up regular GEs like Dublin?

So now the magic question is this: In the Powell Giant Eagle they have re-located about 6 stores for Giant Eagle expansion. Is this for a new Market District location as well????

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: