Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

German Village Community Pool

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion German Village Community Pool

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Some Village residents want community pool
    By GARY SEMAN JR.
    Tuesday May 20, 2014 10:29 AM

Add a community pool to the wish list of some German Village residents. The German Village Society’s long-range planning committee has been kicking around the idea of a pool for several months now, acknowledging finding an available plot of land — particularly within in the village — is pretty slim.

“We definitely feel there is a need and desire for it, but we haven’t been able to find a suitable location for it,” said Matt Eshelbrenner, committee chairman.

READ MORE: http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/germanvillage/news/2014/05/19/some-village-residents-want-community-pool.html

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

No space to put a pool in German Village?

Why not in Schiller Park next to the Rec Center?

Or does that make too much sense? ;)

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

No space to put a pool in German Village?

Why not in Schiller Park next to the Rec Center?

Or does that make too much sense? ;)

I believe it’s because a private GV pool might not go over too well on the grounds of a city-run public rec center/parkland.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Oh, I missed the part that say they’re trying to get a private pool built.

I guess my thought would be to scrap that idea and build a public pool instead. ;)

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

The city has had enough trouble in the past trying to keep their own existing public pools up and running depending on the economy, I can’t see taxpayers too happy at the thought of adding another.

wygand
    Participant

Do what the Zoo does, make it public to get tax dollars, and charge an entry fee. In effect keeping out the people that private pool goers would like to keep out.

Problem solved!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The city has had enough trouble in the past trying to keep their own existing public pools up and running depending on the economy, I can’t see taxpayers too happy at the thought of adding another.

I believe there were some pool issues prior to the income tax increase. Have there been any issues since?

The Dodge Park Pool seems to be doing very well post-remodel in 2012:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/new-dodge-pool-in-franklinton-is-a-hit-this-summer

The Maryland Swimming Pool is also getting a revamp.

If the Franklinton and the Near East Side can have nice public pools, why not German Village too? ;)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION