Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

German Village Bars

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A German Village Bars

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author

ches08
    Participant

sounds like Hey Hey Hey is winning! Thats where we’ll be going saturday! Thanks for the suggestions

Motorist
    Participant

blammo wrote >>
    The round bar is great…it’s hard to be anti-social when you’re all sitting in a circle, looking at each other. And Bethany the bartendress is hilarious. The only thing I don’t like about the place is the walk to the restroom.

Is it the walk to the bathroom or the walk to the bathroom right past the cop hanging out in the lobby while you’re three sheets to the wind?

Rocknrolloutlaws
    Participant

While I can’t necessarily disagree with all the comments about 185 being filled with douchebags on a regular basis…I still really love that bar. I think it’s just a matter of being able to ignore everyone else in there.

And it’s not always filled with people who suck at life. But I admit, it’s pretty common.

Eh, I guess objectively I can’t defend it. But I like it. A lot.

I’m surprised no one has really mentioned Beck Tavern yet. It’s a good place too. And on nights when the A&F crowd is too much to take at 185, it’s a welcome escape.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m of the mindset that you can have fun in any place despite the crowd if you’re there to hang out with your friends. So going by that, I’ve always managed to have a decent time at 185 despite what everyone else has accurately said about the crowds there. But yeah, I think I’d honestly just like to enjoy that place more than I do. We lived a 5 minute walk from it for years and maybe went over there 3 times?

Used to hit Barcelona a lot and became regulars with the bartender, which can help out on the drink prices. It is a bit expensive, but a really nice place.

I’ve only ever set foot in the Hey Hey one time (which I think also isn’t technically within the GV historical boundary, right?) but thought it was ok. Didn’t leave much of an impression either way on me.

The one time I went to the Beck Tavern it was ok. Seemed like a neighborhood joint for some other neighborhood, and was a bit of a smoke-easy. Or at least on that day it was.

The High Beck is also ok. Another one of those places I’d like to enjoy more. Although I used to love going there for lunch. Great brisket that they smoke out back. And surprisingly good pizzas.

Anyway, +1 on The Round Bar and Jimmy V’s and Gresso’s and Easy Street.

+2 on the MoJoe Lounge. I was sad to move away from it like 2 seconds before it opened. :(

Is the old Banana Bean up and running with their liquor license yet? Because I can see that being a nice cozy place to drink if they did decide to run in that direction with that concept.

The Wayfarer
    Participant

Round Bar is my zion when looking for an out-of-the-way sort of place to hang my head on the bar and drink away my sorrows while avoiding anyone I may know. What I’m saying is, I’m at Round Bar pretty often.

Rocknrolloutlaws
    Participant

About half the time I’m in at 185 it’s filled with terrible people I’d never want to talk to.

The other half of the time, I run into a bunch of people who I know who all just happen to be up there. Those are the nights that are all worth it.

honavery

blammo wrote >>
    The round bar is great…it’s hard to be anti-social when you’re all sitting in a circle, looking at each other. And Bethany the bartendress is hilarious. The only thing I don’t like about the place is the walk to the restroom.

LOL, ain’t that the truth. It’s like a complete buzz kill walking past the front desk with the all the bright lights.

blammo
    Participant

Motorist wrote >>

blammo wrote >>

Is it the walk to the bathroom or the walk to the bathroom right past the cop hanging out in the lobby while you’re three sheets to the wind?

My internal dialogue is usually something like this: “headed to the bathroom, headed to the bathroom, HOLY CRAP it’s a cop and he’s staring right at me…but I’m not doing anything wrong…yet…so it’s ok, right? Oh man I don’t even want to make eye contact with this guy…and he knows it! Should I say hi to him to avoid looking suspicious? What if he wants to have a conversation? then he’ll KNOW I’m hammered! What if I’m a guest at the hotel though? THEN it would be ok, just some guy from out of town, tying one on in the hotel bar. But then the people at the front desk wouldn’t be staring at me either. I’ll just act like no one else exists and just breeze on through. Next time I’m holding it as long as I can and then just go pee in the pool like everyone else”

bridgette13

The Hey Hey fo sho! It’s super chill there and I can’t think of the bartenders names but those guys are great. They put up w/ my best friend all the time and she’s a handful:) Saw that you already made ur decision but had to throw my 2 cents out there:0)

ches08
    Participant

bridgette13 wrote >>
    The Hey Hey fo sho! It’s super chill there and I can’t think of the bartenders names but those guys are great. They put up w/ my best friend all the time and she’s a handful:) Saw that you already made ur decision but had to throw my 2 cents out there:0)

ok good because my friends can be a bit much when they’ve had a tad too much lol

HeySquare
    Participant

Man.. the 185 hate is overwhelming me. I love 185. Of course, I don’t go if it’s crowded, so that may be why I don’t mind the crowd :) They have the best Cream of Mushroom soup ever.

and fyi… I believe 185 has an arrangement with the church because they do (legally) use the church lot for parking. Which is awesome… works really well.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

185 itself is just fine. It’s the occasional crowds that are repellant. But it keeps them open, so I just go when they’re not there :)

thepiece
    Participant

I like 185, but I have always had issues with how loud the music is, if I wanted to have to yell to talk to the person next to me I would be at a club. But maybe I’m just getting old….

Always have had a good time at the Hey Hey, Jimmy V’s and Easy Street, the red brick tavern is nice too.

We had a good time at anamolies recently (next to Jimmy V’s) but I think its an acquired taste and probably not for everyone….

KSquared

I used to love 185 when Erik Eubanks bartended there (miss him!) and I have always liked the staff. The food’s pretty good. It really does boil down to the clientele some nights. We didn’t stay long the last time we went because of the obnoxious asshats who had taken over the bar. Maybe it’s better earlier in the day or on weeknights?

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

For me, it’s pretty much any time other than past 10 on weekends and 185 is great. Past 10 on weekends, I want to punch 90% of the patrons in the eye.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: