Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Gene Harris Retiring as Columbus City Schools Superintendent

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Gene Harris Retiring as Columbus City Schools Superintendent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

CCS Superintendent Dr. Gene Harris To Retire

By: NBC4 | NBC4

Published: September 20, 2012

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Sources with Columbus City Schools tell NBC4 Superintendent Dr. Gene Harris will announce that she will be retiring. Harris is scheduled to make a formal announcement at a news conference at 1:30 p.m. Thursday. Watch the announcement live on nbc4i.com. Harris’ announcement comes as the district is involved in an investigation into possible tampering of student attendance records.

READ MORE: http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2012/sep/20/6/ccs-superintendent-dr-gene-harris-retire-ar-1177838/

groundrules
    Participant

sucks. i like her.

labi
    Participant

Whoa. The data-tampering investigation results are apparently going to be humdingers.

leftovers

Probably a good idea (for her), CCS is a mess. The recent scandal is a huge disappointment.

rus
    rus
    Participant

labi said:
    Whoa. The data-tampering investigation results are apparently going to be humdingers.

Sounds like.

ricospaz
    Participant

Cheater

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

leftovers said:
    CCS is a mess.

The CCS administration is certainly a mess. There are still good schools, good teachers, good students, good faculty out there.

leftovers

Walker said:
    The CCS administration is certainly a mess. There are still good schools, good teachers, good students, good faculty out there.

And I would assume there still are some good administrators, unfortunately it took the Dispatch to cast the light on this. It casts a lot of doubt on what we think we know. I hope they don’t try to push this under a rug after the wave of retirements happen.

joev
    Participant

Hope the school system get better! It’s not good enough for SOME schools to be good. They all should be.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

joev said:
    It’s not good enough for SOME schools to be good. They all should be.

Agreed. We should strive for much better.

Though when it comes time for someone to decide where to send their own children, they send them to ONE school and not EVERY school in an entire district, so I’d caution anyone from judging all CCS schools based on an average performance of the whole giant district.

I hear a lot of people say that Columbus is the shining star of Ohio, or even of the whole Midwest. Similarly, there are shining star schools within CCS.

joev
    Participant

With the lottery system, though, it’s a gamble. You can’t guarantee you’ll get a good school. Many of the neighborhood schools are deplorable.

It’s also not good for the kids who get stuck at those deplorable schools. If their parents can’t or don’t work the system, that’s a terrible fate.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

joev said:
    You can’t guarantee you’ll get a good school.

Untrue. If you live within the boundaries of a good neighborhood school, you don’t have to lottery into it. I have a few friends with babies or small children that bought homes within the area of Clintonville that Clinton Elementary sits and are perfectly happy with their choice.

http://www.columbus.k12.oh.us/applications/schoolwebsites/SchoolProfile.nsf/(WebPublic2)/Clinton_Elementary_School?OpenDocument

Again, I’m not saying that we shouldn’t strive for something better district-wide. But there are good choices within CCS, lottery or not.

joev
    Participant

Walker said:
    Untrue. If you live within the boundaries of a good neighborhood school, you don’t have to lottery into it. I have a few friends with babies or small children that bought homes within the area of Clintonville that Clinton Elementary sits and are perfectly happy with their choice.

http://www.columbus.k12.oh.us/applications/schoolwebsites/SchoolProfile.nsf/(WebPublic2)/Clinton_Elementary_School?OpenDocument

Again, I’m not saying that we shouldn’t strive for something better district-wide. But there are good choices within CCS, lottery or not.

Then I suppose, I mean that I can’t guarantee my kid’s way into a good school – because my neighborhood school sucks.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

joev said:
    Then I suppose, I mean that I can’t guarantee my kid’s way into a good school – because my neighborhood school sucks.

Me: There are some good schools within CCS.
    You: Mine isn’t one of them.

I think we’re both correct here.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

She must have upset someone in or allied with the John Wolfe empire…The Dispatch was on a mission to get rid of Harris, and it worked.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: