Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

GE Gets Parking Ticket for Bringing Wind Power to Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion GE Gets Parking Ticket for Bringing Wind Power to Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • Author

Lakee911
    Participant

If I ever see them waiting and I had a pocket full of change, I’d just put a bit into every meter on the street and tell them to get lost. ;)

Does it count as being nice when I’m just being mean to the city because they are being mean to us? Two wrongs make a right, no?

somertimeoh
    Participant

bababoohi wrote >>
    Has anyone seen the figurees that they’re trying to offset when they say that the purpose of meter enforcement is “recovering the cost of providing public services and promoting economic vitality.”

Ugh, can’t find it the budget breakdown I was looking for. I mean, technically, you’d have to agree that meter enforcement is accomplishing those tasks at all, but there was a detailed budget floating around during the meter advisory meetings.

lifeliberty
    Participant

Lakee911 wrote >>
    If I ever see them waiting and I had a pocket full of change, I’d just put a bit into every meter on the street and tell them to get lost. ;)

does anyone know if it is illegal to do that or not? i would like a firm answer on that. if you did it to one, they might just think it is your car,I do that for people when I see expired meters not ticketed yet, if I have change that is.

misskitty
    Participant

lifeliberty wrote >>

Lakee911 wrote >>

does anyone know if it is illegal to do that or not? i would like a firm answer on that. if you did it to one, they might just think it is your car,I do that for people when I see expired meters not ticketed yet, if I have change that is.

I have been told by an officer that it is illegal to feed someone else’s meter,.

lifeliberty
    Participant

I’d like to see the code really. cause I’m thinking it might be and urban myth. I’ve run across police who didn’t know the law(referring to leash law), I want to be sure so I know what my rights are in the case I’m ever confronted. http://theexpiredmeter.com/?p=2452

AJL

What a great discussion. I just wanted to chime in to clear up speculations that it was an improper permitting issue…

GE took all of the necessary permitting steps with the City of Columbus. The truck with the 131-foot wind turbine blade was appropriately parked with an occupancy permit and an oversize load moving permit with bagged meters and safety cones.

The ticket noted in Walker’s post is from one of GE’s staff who parked his vehicle at a meter on Nationwide Blvd and when his time ran out, he subsequently got a ticket. Just a case of bad luck during his visit in Columbus. Simple as that. However, I appreciate Walker’s point–if the vehicle would have been parked right by the blade but unknowingly was illegally parked, that would be a different issue that could have been avoided with some communication between the two parties at that time.

Check out http://www.ge.com/audio_video/ge/ecomagination/on_the_road_again.html for more info on their nationwide tour. We were glad to have them choose Columbus as one of their seven stops.

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

lifeliberty wrote >>
    eh, GE or the people throwing the event should have had the meter bagged. Only certain vehicles are allowed at expired metes, I assume they include emergency response vehicles, city vehicles, road crews, etc
    I’ve seen a couple episodes(maybe 2 or 3) of parking wars which follows the meter maids in Philly. check it out. it’s just about people doing their job. A violation is a violation.
    if GE is upset about it then they should bill the event organizer.

I’m pretty sure the ticket was thrown on a branded vehicle, wrapped in the tour logo. I have experience in this area and have parked a branded vehicle in over 30 cities in the past 8 weeks. From Nashville, St Louis, Chicago, to Minneapolis, I fail to see why Columbus PVB has different rules than those other cities. I park where I have access to my event and have NEVER received a ticket. [edit] All of the cities that I have visited have law/parking enforcement understand the benefits of a national promotional tour’s presence in their city. And like most touring promotional vehicles, I have never needed a bagged meter.

askmrlee
    Participant

My god, Columbus just jumped back into hick town status and became Klumpa, Ahia.

cc

askmrlee wrote >>
    My god, Columbus just jumped back into hick town status and became Klumpa, Ahia.

I think the ‘person in the know’ just said it was a roady who parked and didn’t feed the meter.

This is pretty much a non-event.

If we want some kind of meter reform we need to work the ballot box. I agree that making the meters a funds generator adds a conflict of interest. I also think we need to either accept some more city budget cuts or propose alternative plans for funding (ie. convention hotel). The meter maids are the messenger of city policy. I would rather they applied it uniformly. Don’t hate the messenger…

Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE