Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

GE Gets Parking Ticket for Bringing Wind Power to Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion GE Gets Parking Ticket for Bringing Wind Power to Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 84 total)
  • Author

somertimeoh
    Participant

bababoohi wrote >>

Walker wrote >>

bababoohi wrote >>
    I think they simply exist for revenue generation, which I’m okay with.

that’s a pretty common misunderstanding.

Please explain. I’m not trying to be a butthole, I really just assumed they were there for rev. gen.

It’s the “simply” in your statement creates an issue. In our city, not common amongst most others, yes, it is used for revenue, but that is not the reason meters exist. Funny that the bulk of the “revenue” from this stream comes from violations, but that cannot be used to fill the coffers needed for the hotel. So REALLY, if the meter maids were smart, they would allow the driver to stick another quarter in, but the CITY wants the parking ticket money for the general fun which has taken some nasty blows. Pissing off your customer base with these predatory enforcement agents reduces the amount of people who want to put money in your meters – which you need to guarantee the hotel. See the problem/conflict?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Worth reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_meter#Legality

Parking meters have been challenged in court many times, but are considered legal if the parking meters used for purposes of parking regulation and not for revenue purposes. In an 1937 case in Oklahoma [6], H.E. Duncan contended that the ordinances impose a fee for the free use of the streets, which is a right of all citizens of the state. The Courts ruled that free use of the streets is not an absolute right, but agreed with an unpublished 1936 Florida court decision that said, “If it had been shown that the streets on which parking meters have been installed under this ordinance are not streets where the traffic is sufficiently heavy to require any parking regulations of this sort, or that the city was making inordinate and unjustified profits by means of the parking meters, and was resorting to their use not for regulatory purposes but for revenue only, there might have been a different judgment.”

bababoohi

Yep, thanks. Still think that the illegally parked truck deserved the ticket though.

myliftkk
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    Worth reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_meter#Legality
    Parking meters have been challenged in court many times, but are considered legal if the parking meters used for purposes of parking regulation and not for revenue purposes. In an 1937 case in Oklahoma [6], H.E. Duncan contended that the ordinances impose a fee for the free use of the streets, which is a right of all citizens of the state. The Courts ruled that free use of the streets is not an absolute right, but agreed with an unpublished 1936 Florida court decision that said, “If it had been shown that the streets on which parking meters have been installed under this ordinance are not streets where the traffic is sufficiently heavy to require any parking regulations of this sort, or that the city was making inordinate and unjustified profits by means of the parking meters, and was resorting to their use not for regulatory purposes but for revenue only, there might have been a different judgment.”

+1

lifeliberty
    Participant

well, the reason i said suburanites is because this thread is/was about deterrants to people who want to visit downtown.

and maybe I wrote it wrong, I’m no english major, but sorry if i implied all suburanites are stupid. I think anyone that doesn’t get expired meters = ticket is. again, I only mentioned suburbanites is because they are the ones that would visit, urbanites are already here, this isn’t a discussion about them. I don’t know, maybe it is. this is me on 4 hours sleep.

Core_Models

Walker brings to the forefront the real issue. Parking was never supposed to be the revenue generation machine it now is, it was simply designed to turn over spots and maintain traffic.

To go to a full on libertarian/Tea Party argument…we pay for the streets. We pay for the maintenance of the streets. We pay for the people who walk up and down those streets issuing tickets to park on the shit we bought in the first place. The idea that we have to build streets with tax dollars, then pay for parking cops with tax dollars, so we can get cited for putting our cars on a street we bought in the first place kind of sucks, IMO>

bababoohi

Has anyone seen the figurees that they’re trying to offset when they say that the purpose of meter enforcement is “recovering the cost of providing public services and promoting economic vitality.”

drew
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>
    Walker brings to the forefront the real issue. Parking was never supposed to be the revenue generation machine it now is, it was simply designed to turn over spots and maintain traffic.
    To go to a full on libertarian/Tea Party argument…we pay for the streets. We pay for the maintenance of the streets. We pay for the people who walk up and down those streets issuing tickets to park on the shit we bought in the first place. The idea that we have to build streets with tax dollars, then pay for parking cops with tax dollars, so we can get cited for putting our cars on a street we bought in the first place kind of sucks, IMO>

+1. I almost never park at a meter anymore… been burned by scraped off stickers, condensation that keeps the meter from being readable, and posted signage that contradicts the rules on the meter. Predatory meter maids are just the icing on the cake.

It’s all utterly silly.

berdawn

I would hate to be someone who works for the parking bureau and read this thread.

drew
    Participant

lifeliberty wrote >>
    Somer, I agree. that is another thing that needs addressed. they put stickers on instead of having the info inside. most stickers are destroyed. it is not fair to fine without informing them of enforcement hours.
    when in doubt, feed it.

It’s unfair… therefore, ‘when in doubt, feed it’.

Really?

KSquared

lifeliberty wrote >>
    well, the reason i said suburanites is because this thread is/was about deterrants to people who want to visit downtown.
    and maybe I wrote it wrong, I’m no english major, but sorry if i implied all suburanites are stupid. I think anyone that doesn’t get expired meters = ticket is. again, I only mentioned suburbanites is because they are the ones that would visit, urbanites are already here, this isn’t a discussion about them. I don’t know, maybe it is. this is me on 4 hours sleep.

Well, it’s possible I’m a little defensive also. There are some people from the burbs who do love downtown and feel comfortable in an urban setting. I think others have covered the mitigating factors pretty well, so sorry if I inferred something that you didn’t mean. Soon enough, I’ll be an actual city dweller :)

bababoohi

berdawn wrote >>
    I would hate to be someone who works for the parking bureau and read this thread.

They’ll probably be issued riot gear.

drew
    Participant

double post

drew
    Participant

triple?

lifeliberty
    Participant

drew wrote >>

It’s unfair… therefore, ‘when in doubt, feed it’.
    Really?

if I can’t find a free spot and I find a meter and it is before a certain hour, depends on the neighborhood, some stop at 6, 8, and 10 maybe, whatever, and I can’t find legible signage, I’ll feed it. what is a dollar to me, I don’t think much of it. When is the first and last time I’ve ever done this? – never. I have never had to because i always end up finding out the info at a nearby meter, but I would, I’ve come close.

it is unfair the PVD doesn’t sticker the meters as they ticket. they should carry the stickers on them, but I don’t mind spending a buck in the off chance it saves me 25, it’s insurance.

until the system is fixed, I don’t mind spending a buck to park close. I dont’ think a $25 ticket would set me off either. meter maid waiting by the meter, now that is wrong.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 84 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE