Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

GE Gets Parking Ticket for Bringing Wind Power to Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion GE Gets Parking Ticket for Bringing Wind Power to Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

lifeliberty wrote >>
    the meter maid is not given the discretion to make such choices on who to ticket.

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree then, because I think having that lack of discretion is the root problem.

lifeliberty
    Participant

I can see it your way too Walker. I understand that suburbanites are used to their parking lot and not used to dealing with keeping meters fed, so they are more likely to get a ticket, and after that they are scared from ever parking downtown again because they don’t know how to do it.

but does that mean blame should go on PVB? I don’t think so. Look, no one who has ever gotten towed or ticketed likes meter maids, I want to park for free everywhere too, but without enforcement Dtown, SN, campus would be a mess.

anillo
    Participant

I hope this doesn’t take the wind out of GE’s interest in investing in alternative energy in central Ohio.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

lifeliberty wrote >>
    I have never seen a meter maid running up the street to fine expired meters, they just walk around and ticket wneh(butchered that one, meant when) they see a violation.

I have been told by several friends that they have arrived back to their vehicles with a minute to go on a meter to find a meter maid already starting to fill out their ticket pre-expiration.

I have been told by several friends who have been met with hostility when confronting meter maids about questions or issues.

Personally, I’ve never had much of a problem myself because I don’t park much in metered areas during times of enforcement, but I’m willing to believe that some basis “customer service” training wouldn’t hurt those in charge of enforcement.

And don’t get me wrong… I’m not trying to excuse anyone out of paying a ticket for a valid parking infraction. I just think that there’s room for improvement with our enforcement system.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

anillo wrote >>
    I hope this doesn’t take the wind out of GE’s interest in investing in alternative energy in central Ohio.

it’ll blow over.

joev
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

lifeliberty wrote >>
    the meter maid is not given the discretion to make such choices on who to ticket.

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree then, because I think having that lack of discretion is the root problem.

Wait – You think enforcement should be applied unevenly? That sounds like a pretty terrible idea.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

joev wrote >>
    You think enforcement should be applied unevenly? That sounds like a pretty terrible idea.

There are many instances where breaking a law results in different actions based upon frequency, severity or other factors. You’ve never been let off the hook with a warning for something? I don’t think a first-time warning for a parking infraction sounds like a terrible idea.

lifeliberty
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

that would be welcoming one person to be judge and jury and really putting alot of parking power in the hands of one individual. they aren’t city liasons, they don’t work for Experience Columbus. Parking violations are pretty black and white for me. you either broke the law or you didn’t. There’s a reason they don’t hold daily trials by jury over them.

joev
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

joev wrote >>

Walker wrote >>
    You think enforcement should be applied unevenly? That sounds like a pretty terrible idea.

There are many instances where breaking a law results in different actions based upon frequency, severity or other factors. You’ve never been let off the hook with a warning for something? I don’t think a first-time warning for a parking infraction sounds like a terrible idea.

When the warning would come as a note on your windshield rather than a talk with the enforcement officer, I don’t think it would be very effective.

lifeliberty
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    I’m not trying to excuse anyone out of paying a ticket for a valid parking infraction. I just think that there’s room for improvement with our enforcement system.

I totally agree, most if not all systems have room for improvement.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

lifeliberty wrote >>
    they aren’t city liaisons, they don’t work for Experience Columbus…

Not directly, but for all practical purposes, they are indirectly serving in that “liaison” capacity for the people that they do interact with.

lifeliberty
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

I have been told by several friends that they have arrived back to their vehicles with a minute to go on a meter to find a meter maid already starting to fill out their ticket pre-expiration.
    I have been told by several friends who have been met with hostility when confronting meter maids about questions or issues.

Those are definite issues that, if true, should be addressed. At least in Philly if you can get to the car before the ticket prints then the meter maid can erase it. that should be applied here. If that happens, that should be your warning.

lifeliberty
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

lifeliberty wrote >>
    they aren’t city liaisons, they don’t work for Experience Columbus…

Not directly, but for all practical purposes, they are indirectly serving in that “liaison” capacity for the people that they do interact with.

I understand that. the meter maid might be the only city employee a visitor may have direct contact with on the visit. But I think most people have an understanding of what PVB is and does. Unlike police that are there not only to fine people, but help people out as well. the only function of PVD is to fine people. necessary evil.

manticore33
    Participant

But it does not beat this:

:)

myliftkk
    Participant

joev wrote >>

Walker wrote >>

lifeliberty wrote >>

Wait – You think enforcement should be applied unevenly? That sounds like a pretty terrible idea.

Enforcement is already applied unevenly. It’s based purely on the happenstance of whether the meter maid is nearby when the infraction occurs.

And yes, I’ve gotten to the car before the meter maid has finished the ticket, after which they attempted to avoid me (even looking at me) while trying to place the ticket on the car.

@Walker – I also managed to get a ticket while doing the Race for the Cure (which I noticed the meter maids were ticketing furiously at as the Race ended). Apparently we didn’t walk fast enough to get back to the car… so I don’t exactly expect mercy from that bunch.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 84 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE