Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Marriage Equality, Same-Sex Marriage & LGBT Equality in Ohio

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Marriage Equality, Same-Sex Marriage & LGBT Equality in Ohio

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 208 total)
  • Author

bman
    Participant

joshlapp said:
    Good thing you don’t vote.

+1

Anonymous
    Inactive

bman said:
    There are legal and financial benefits that go with equality.
    Obviously you lack that understanding.

……both of which are exaggerated…especially the legal side. Personally, I’d just deal with and would CHOOSE to deal with it as opposed to backdooring into the christian marriage concept.

As a side note, if finances and legality are important factors in your relationship whether it be straight, gay, or whatever, you might want to reconsider.

I think the better question is…if there wasn’t so many people opposed to it for the gays…would they still fight it just as hard? My guess would be no. Just as there is a Pride Festival. Do you see a Straight Festival or the like? I have no quarrels with gays or anything, but it’s just another lame political issue in a realm of “bigger fish to fry” which is probably why it isn’t more pro-actively worked on. It just makes a good conversationalist piece on CNN or Fox News as “something unique and new” to talk about.

jbcmh81
    Participant

The idea that voting is pointless is pushed around by naive college students who have no real life experience. Seeing as how we are talking about gay marriage, let’s take a look at New Jersey. Clearly a liberal state overall, and gay marriage would’ve gone through without Republican Christie in office. That vote did matter. They all do.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

-Nick- said:
    ……both of which are exaggerated…especially the legal side. Personally, I’d just deal with and would CHOOSE to deal with it as opposed to backdooring into the christian marriage concept.

As a side note, if finances and legality are important factors in your relationship whether it be straight, gay, or whatever, you might want to reconsider.

I think the better question is…if there wasn’t so many people opposed to it for the gays…would they still fight it just as hard? My guess would be no. Just as there is a Pride Festival. Do you see a Straight Festival or the like? I have no quarrels with gays or anything, but it’s just another lame political issue in a realm of “bigger fish to fry” which is probably why it isn’t more pro-actively worked on. It just makes a good conversationalist piece on CNN or Fox News as “something unique and new” to talk about.

Apparently you don’t understand the difference between civil and religious marriage.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_marriage
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage#Marriage_and_religion

I suppose every minority group should just ‘accept’ their unequal status.

Anonymous
    Inactive

jbcmh81 said:
    The idea that voting is pointless is pushed around by naive college students who have no real life experience. Seeing as how we are talking about gay marriage, let’s take a look at New Jersey. Clearly a liberal state overall, and gay marriage would’ve gone through without Republican Christie in office. That vote did matter. They all do.

Nobody is stopping your relationship from occurring…that’s my point. Raising a huge deal out of it is pretty…well..pathetic. From there, it extrapolates into legal and financial issues…then blown out of proportion more into a discrimination issue…and so forth. Ultimately, it just becomes one big bantered clusterf and an enormous waste of time. That’s coming from an atheist with no plans of marriage, so I’m obviously not against or for the issue. It is what it is. Quit the bantering, go outside, watch the sun rise, and go live your life as usual. Nobody is stopping you besides yourself.

Anonymous
    Inactive

joshlapp said:
    Apparently you don’t understand the difference between civil and religious marriage.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_marriage
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage#Marriage_and_religion

I suppose every minority group should just ‘accept’ their unequal status.

I’m part of a “minority” group and it’s not a matter of “accepting” anything. It’s a matter of it being a pointless matter to debate upon in the big picture of things. That’s my stance.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

-Nick- said:
    Raising a huge deal out of it is pretty…well..pathetic.

So then why are you raising a huge deal out of it right now?

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

-Nick- said:
    Nobody is stopping your relationship from occurring…that’s my point. Raising a huge deal out of it is pretty…well..pathetic. From there, it extrapolates into legal and financial issues…then blown out of proportion more into a discrimination issue…and so forth. Ultimately, it just becomes one big bantered clusterf and an enormous waste of time. That’s coming from an atheist with no plans of marriage, so I’m obviously not against or for the issue. It is what it is. Quit the bantering, go outside, watch the sun rise, and go live your life as usual. Nobody is stopping you besides yourself.

I’m not shocked you don’t expect to get married.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Walker said:
    So then why are you raising a huge deal out of it right now?

Good point. I’m raising a huge deal simply because people are acting bewildered by the ideology that their raising of a huge deal isn’t such a big deal in reality.

It goes back to what I said earlier. Don’t start a clusterf in the first place.

Anonymous
    Inactive

joshlapp said:
    I’m not shocked you don’t expect to get married.

Me neither.

jbcmh81
    Participant

-Nick- said:

It’s pathetic to want equality? You are in over your head, it’s best to bow out now before you say something even more ridiculous.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

-Nick- said:
    Good point. I’m raising a huge deal simply because people are acting bewildered by the ideology that their raising of a huge deal isn’t such a big deal in reality.

It goes back to what I said earlier. Don’t start a clusterf in the first place.

And of course its not a big deal to you. It is however a big deal to those who it directly effects. I’m sure you have your own issue that you consider to be important which many of us couldn’t care less about.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

-Nick- said:
    It seems like an absolutely pointless and fruitless debate of “we’re going to fight this, just to fight this!!!”, but hey that’s just me.

You’re assuming that you know what everyone’s motivations are behind supporting something like gay marriage, and you’re assuming that everyone’s motivations are one and the same.

You’re completely entitled to your own opinion, but you don’t really get to define other people’s opinions. That’s kind of like arguing with an imaginary friend.

bman
    Participant

-Nick- said:
    I’m part of a “minority” group and it’s not a matter of “accepting” anything.

Hmmm … I did not know being an ignorant f#ck was a minority. Now I know!

I know Walker … you have to delete this post, you will post a comment about keeping it civil and I might get an email from you. It’s cool … I just wanted a few people to read this!

bman
    Participant

-Nick- said:

Having a loved one that is not a blood relative next to you during a difficult time or to make life and death decisions might not be important to you but it is to most people. You work on your relationships and allow us to work on ours.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 208 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE